View Poll Results: What's your first choice with Pick No. 2?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • The gift that keeps on giving: TRADE THE PICK

    36 73.47%
  • Slow and steady wins the race: JAKE MATTHEWS

    10 20.41%
  • The best offense is a GREAT defense: JADEVEON CLOWNEY

    1 2.04%
  • Back to the drawing board: TAKE A QB

    1 2.04%
  • Needa Diva: SAMMY WATKINS or MIKE EVANS

    1 2.04%
  • Some other option (describe below).

    0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 35 of 35
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: What's your first choice for No. 2?

  1. #31
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,144
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: What's your first choice for No. 2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The problem is defining maximum return. I think fans expectation about the kind of package the Rams might get is inflated after the RGIII trade.

    You have to think, Andrew Luck was considered one of these "once in a decade" type prospects, and it was at the most important position in the game. And there were some who felt RGIII was better, which is why he commanded so much interest.

    Unless Houston passes on Bridgewater - or unless a team covets and trades up for Clowney - then I don't think the offers are going to be blockbuster ones again. Consider that last year, Oakland traded down from the 3rd pick to the 12th pick and only received a 2nd round choice as compensation.

    This idea that we're going to get another future first round pick might turn out to be wishful thinking. So I think the question fans need to start asking themselves, if they're in favor of or even prefer a trade down, is what type of package are they willing to accept and how far are they willing to drop.
    I don't think it will be near the size of the RG3 trade. But all it takes is one team on a mission to land their guy. If it's going to be a future one, my guess is it would have to be a trade with a team way back in the first round. A team wanting Clowney and has few needs.

    Another way to get multiple picks from the second pick is multiple trades like we did in 2011. Lets say we go from the 2nd to 6th for Clowney and then go from, 6th to 15th. We could get two seconds working a deal like that.

    If we could add two second rounders and get a Tackle at 13 with our own pick that could work well. IF the talent is not a huge drop off from Matthews to say Kouandjio, Robinsonor Lewan. that I just don't know.

    How about

    At 13 Kouandjio at 15 CB or S then in the second add G,WR,(S or CB) depending on what we took at 15.


  2. #32
    jmk321's Avatar
    jmk321 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    albany
    Posts
    591
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: What's your first choice for No. 2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The problem is defining maximum return. I think fans expectation about the kind of package the Rams might get is inflated after the RGIII trade.

    You have to think, Andrew Luck was considered one of these "once in a decade" type prospects, and it was at the most important position in the game. And there were some who felt RGIII was better, which is why he commanded so much interest.

    Unless Houston passes on Bridgewater - or unless a team covets and trades up for Clowney - then I don't think the offers are going to be blockbuster ones again. Consider that last year, Oakland traded down from the 3rd pick to the 12th pick and only received a 2nd round choice as compensation.

    This idea that we're going to get another future first round pick might turn out to be wishful thinking. So I think the question fans need to start asking themselves, if they're in favor of or even prefer a trade down, is what type of package are they willing to accept and how far are they willing to drop.
    The big difference between the Rams and Raiders respective picks is that the Rams' pick will most likely end up being for a QB who will be viewed as being much more valuable than the decent pass rush prospect the Dolphins traded up to get. I think the Rams can certainly get multiple early round picks with the amount of teams that are desperate for a franchise QB. Somehow this team has ended up in another seller's market situation where they will have a ridiculous amount of leverage with a bunch of teams bidding with the hope to become relevant after years of mediocrity. Don't underestimate the impatience of the other teams' front offices/fan bases.
    Randart likes this.

  3. #33
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,485
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: What's your first choice for No. 2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    If we could add two second rounders and get a Tackle at 13 with our own pick that could work well. IF the talent is not a huge drop off from Matthews to say Kouandjio, Robinsonor Lewan. that I just don't know.
    There are a lot of factors to consider - if the talent isn't a huge drop off, if a tackle you like lasts until 13, if some of the juniors ultimately come out to make it as deep a first round as some suspect it could be...

    I can envision another year where three OTs go in the Top 10, but then again, Kiper's most recent big board has Matthews @ 3, Robinson @ 9, and then no one else until Lewan @ 20. As usual, opinions vary and will continue to be adjusted through the process.

    I don't know if, personally, another second rounder would make that worth it dropping down a significant amount. I suspect if we're waiting until the 13th pick to take a tackle, we're probably choosing the 4th or 5th best one, and I think the dropoff between that guy and Matthews is probably noteworthy.

    I like the idea of dropping down but staying inside the Top Ten. Then, you're likely to still get one of the top three tackles (which, IMO right now, are probably Matthews, Robinson, and Kouandjio). Then again, there's a part of me that says, stay put @ 2 and take Matthews, then see if you can move down from 13 to the latter half of the first round, where the value of the DBs increases.

    Lots of options to think about.


    Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    The big difference between the Rams and Raiders respective picks is that the Rams' pick will most likely end up being for a QB who will be viewed as being much more valuable than the decent pass rush prospect the Dolphins traded up to get. I think the Rams can certainly get multiple early round picks with the amount of teams that are desperate for a franchise QB. Somehow this team has ended up in another seller's market situation where they will have a ridiculous amount of leverage with a bunch of teams bidding with the hope to become relevant after years of mediocrity. Don't underestimate the impatience of the other teams' front offices/fan bases.
    Yeah, teams definitely go crazy when it comes to making sure they get that potential franchise quarterback. But at the same time, the supply has to be there to meet that kind of demand. I mean, there were teams looking for QBs last year, yet the first one didn't come off the board until halfway through Round One.

    Selfishly, I hope teams in the NFL view these top 4-5 guys as players they'll have to trade up and secure, because it will benefit the Rams. But I just don't know if Carr, Manziel, and Bortles are going to create enough demand for teams to sacrifice "multiple early round picks."

    I think the Rams can probably orchestrate a trade down, but I just don't know that the return will be as good as everyone is thinking/hoping for.

  4. #34
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,393
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: What's your first choice for No. 2?

    Then again, there's a part of me that says, stay put @ 2 and take Matthews, then see if you can move down from 13 to the latter half of the first round, where the value of the DBs increases. ...Lots of options to think about.
    -- Nick
    Lots of options is right. Here on, the frenzy of trade and draft ideas will be flying all over, stock values going up and down and "game changing" events popping in and out, as they do every year until D day.

    But I hope we'll be firm in keeping JMatthews on the radar screen!

    Last edited by RealRam; -01-01-2014 at 01:06 AM.

  5. #35
    chiguy's Avatar
    chiguy is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,158
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: What's your first choice for No. 2?

    Bottom line -- without a solid OL, we have *no* offense. None. Zip. Even if Saffold is resigned and J. Long is healthy, we need to fortify the line. If we can't run on the division opponents, we'll be watching them in the playoffs.
    ManofGod likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. If you had a choice....
    By QUINNtessentialTruth in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: -03-04-2013, 08:29 PM
  2. Which is the better choice?
    By MauiRam in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: -01-28-2009, 05:32 AM
  3. Who's your choice for OC?
    By AvengerRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: -01-14-2008, 08:56 PM
  4. You only have 1 choice
    By laram0 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: -04-08-2007, 02:23 AM
  5. If you had your choice.
    By laram0 in forum LOUNGE
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -02-17-2007, 01:30 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •