• DT: Nix, Hageman

2 4.65%
  • LB: Mosley, Shazier

1 2.33%
  • Someone else: who?

3 6.98%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What's your first choice for pick No. 13?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: What's your first choice for pick No. 13?

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post

That Alabama video brings back extremely bitter memories. I do love the fact that these highlights could easily be Johnny Manziel or Jake Matthews highlights.

As for Evans, I wish he would have stayed one more year. I think he needs one more year to become more polished for the NFL. He still lacks the consistent hands and route running and his football IQ would greatly benefit from one more year of playing against SEC defenses. It was obvious that he should have been more dominant this year against some of the teams we played. However if he did stay, he would run the risk of his draft value decreasing if we have terrible QB play.

Do I think Evans is on par with AJ Green/Julio Jones as of now? No.

I do think he would be a good choice for our #13 pick, but it wouldn't surprise me if we went with Sammy Watkins or a different position.
    RealRam likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Kelvin Benjamin if he enters the draft or Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, just because I like saying his name.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

I went with Clinton-Dix because of the large drop off from him to the next safety. But I'd equally welcome a CB or WR. However, I would feel drafting a DT or LB (both of whom would only get part time roles on defense) would not represent good value.

Randart is online now Registered User

I also went with big Mike E. as I don't think the value is there for most of the other positions, if he is gone hoping we trade down and pick up more guys. Will be interesting to see what Les and Fish think of Evans, for the most part we fans love the guy. coming away from round 1 with a top five pick (like Matthews etc) and Evans, along with a bonus pick or two would be prime ticket material! imho. I think most of us are hoping to come away from this draft with at least 2 offensive linemen when they take them and who we target is the question?

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

I want Evans so bad it hurts. I see the Lions going with Watkins, as they have a big WR.

Watch Evans against Auburn and Alabama, two almost NFL teams in terms of talent.
    Rambos likes this.
    Barry Waller

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Didn't read the post before voteing. Voted Richardson.... Want Clowney at #2....

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I'm watching the Duke-Texas A&M game and Mike Evans has been coming off as an hot-headed immature punk to me… looks like he would have fit right in with the way the Rams were playing against Seattle. Manziel has looked good though, he just made an absolutely ridiculous play to throw a TD…wow!!!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post

As for Evans, I wish he would have stayed one more year. I think he needs one more year to become more polished for the NFL. He still lacks the consistent hands and route running and his football IQ would greatly benefit from one more year of playing against SEC defenses.

Do I think Evans is on par with AJ Green/Julio Jones as of now? No.

I do think he would be a good choice for our #13 pick, but it wouldn't surprise me if we went with Sammy Watkins or a different position.
    Agreed. As you said, this 20 year old kid is unpolished! No doubt. That's why I had mentioned that he is definitely 'wet behind the ears'.

I'm sure, however, that a few teams will be eyeing him come draft day knowing / expecting they will be able to mold him, mentor him into the proper learning curve of the NFL and take advantage of his raw skills.

Provided Evans doesn't crash and burn before then. I hope he has the right mettle!

Last edited by RealRam; -01-01-2014 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Ram
    RockinRam likes this.

chiguy is offline Registered User

I'm not entirely sold on Evans, though I like the *idea* of what he could be. But our CBs are the weakest chain on a potentially league-leading defense…so I'd build on the team strength (defense).

That all said, its hard to answer really without knowing what happens with Williams, Wells, Dahl, and (especially) Saffold. If we resign him, keep Wells, and draft Matthews I wouldn't be worried about the OG/C slots. If we don't, I'm looking at the board a lot differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    I'm watching the Duke-Texas A&M game and Mike Evans has been coming off as an hot-headed immature punk to me
    That's because he is. He really needs to mature.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

I went with Dennard. I really like what Evans brings to the table, and I wouldn't be mad at all if he was the Rams pick at 13. What I've been back and forth with is which will have a greater impact over the next 2 years, CB or WR? It seems that Johnson and Jenkins have the top two spots locked down, so for the time being, a first round CB would be the 3rd CB on the team, which is fine since teams almost always have 3 wide outs on the field.

WR is a little more up in the air. Unless you're a Megatron, AJ Green, or Julio Jones caliber wide out, you're probably going to take a couple years to really hit your stride. Evans would likely give the Rams some options in the redzone, but as far as number of snaps he'd see in a game I don't see it being very high, and this could slow his development even more. Unless he comes in as a rookie and beats out either Givens, Bailey, Austin, Pettis, or Quick. And only the first 3 of those see much playing time as the Rams run heavy sets with 2 wide outs.

So it seems to me that a first round CB is going to see significantly more snaps over the next two seasons than an unpolished, yet naturally gifted WR. I could definitely be wrong, but I'd rather shore up the passing defense with Dennard than try to add another WR who might not see a lot of the field.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    WR is a little more up in the air. Unless you're a Megatron, AJ Green, or Julio Jones caliber wide out, you're probably going to take a couple years to really hit your stride.
    I think this is flawed thinking. Even this year, there have been quite a few receivers who IMO had very good production for rookie WRs, and they were not as highly touted as the AJ Greens.

If we had their kind of production on the Rams team this year, our season would have ended up quite a bit differently.

Mikey is offline Registered User

After watching bowl games the last few days I'm gonna stay with Matthews. Wouldn't mind trading down a couple but not behind Atlanta who could take him as well. Robinson has potential but we just haven't seen enough of him in pass protection. Mondays game will be a big watch.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I think this is flawed thinking. Even this year, there have been quite a few receivers who IMO had very good production for rookie WRs, and they were not as highly touted as the AJ Greens.

If we had their kind of production on the Rams team this year, our season would have ended up quite a bit differently.
    I'm confused, are you saying that you don't think WR's, on average, take a little longer to develop than other positions in the NFL? In quick look through the list of six WR's drafted this year in the first 2 rounds of last years draft, exactly 1 broke 600 yards as a rookie. And he (Hopkins) was targeted 93 times. Of course you have receivers like Keenan Allen who do very well in their rookie year, which is why is said probably going to take a couple years. Odds are you're more likely to get something between 400-600 yards.

But I think the likelihood of a breakout rookie year only goes down when words like "raw" and "unpolished" get tossed around. Adding Evans would definitely help the Rams, I just can't help but wonder how likely it is that he'd bring significant short-term value from a top 15 pick. Or at least more value than another position of need.

citr92 is offline Registered User

i will say, anybody from the stanford OL would be lovely to have

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast