View Poll Results: Which sides of the ball are you spending our first round picks on?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Offense/Offense

8 26.67%
  • Defense/Defense

1 3.33%
  • Offense/Defense

21 70.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What's your round one strategy?

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

What's your round one strategy?

With two picks in the first round this year, the Rams are in a unique position - as we were last year - to add premium talent to our roster early in the draft.

My question to you - to which side of the ball do you want those picks attributed? Last year we had an evenhanded approach, adding an offensive and a defensive player in round one. With another season in the books - one where the offense stagnated at times because of injury and poor play, and one where the defense also had its issues, especially early on - which direction do you want to go in this year?

Should we take an all offensive approach? For example, we could look to add a Wide Reciever and an Offensive Lineman, or two Linemen, or even surprise everyone with a QB (not that I'm hoping for this).

Do we double down on defense? In this scenario, we could add some depth to the front seven - perhaps a Barr or a Clowney - and a playmaker in the secondary, or we could look at a DT, or even a Corner/Safety combo if a trade-back is in play

Or do we even it out again? We could add an offensive lineman and a safety or corner, or a wide reciever and a DT, whatever you dream up.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Re: What's your round one strategy?

The only offensive position I'd care to draft in the first is OT; WR is a need but I think you could find a good player in the 2nd or 3rd round. I'd still prefer Clowney at #2, but if we could trade down I think the way to go would be to draft OT with our first pick, and then go CB/S with our second 1st rounder.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

For me, it's offense and then... something. I'd focus on taking the best player available at a position of need with both picks. With the first pick, I think the best combination of value and need is an OT, either Matthews or Robinson. Then with the second first-round pick, I think that combination favors a WR, DT, or DB. So with 2 out of 3, odds favor defense there, I guess.
    laram0 likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Grrrr. Voted O/O but buyers' remorse hit right away. Probably should have gone O/D.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I believe Fisher/Snead and Robinson go defense/defense, provided the most coveted players are available.

If Clowney's gone, I could see some interest in Khalil Mack after a trade down, followed by secondary help at 13.

a.p.quinn is offline Registered User

I think if they go defense/defense. They would have completed the defense and filled any holes that are currently on that side of the ball. Plus, if they somehow got Clowney it would create something fierce and give them insurance on future contract issues with other defensive Lineman. If they go offense/offense, that side of the ball would improve but still be unfinished. I hope the Rams trade both picks and move down as far as they think they can go and still get guys high on their board. Personally, I think if they could trade down a few spots and make sure that they're still picking ahead of San Fran and Seattle they'd be golden. Great talent in the first round all the way to the last pick. They can only have two players from that round anyway. Why not move down as much as possible and snag more picks?

vanillasue is offline Registered User

I'm trying to be realistic that we have a Jeff Fisher team with an offensive coordinator that has no talent to be dynamic in his approach to an offensive game plan. Therefore, we must build the team to dominate the running game and the line of scrimmage. However, we also need a couple of defensive backs and great man cover corners are very hard to get after the first round.

I would say OL and CB would have to be our 1st round picks, not necessarily in that order.

If we find that other OL's are close in talent to Robinson or even Mathews then I think we should trade down the number #2 pick and still get our OL, CB and then another 2nd round draft pick. That would be my desire. In the end, we need a dominate offensive line that can control the clock. I don't see us winning without that due to the philosophy and talent of our coaching staff.
    MauiRam likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I feel like our defense is very close to being where it needs to be to compete in the NFC West. Our offense still needs some upgrades, so I went O-O.

SWFCRAM is offline Registered User

I’m surprised that the fourth option wasn’t in the poll, Defense/Offense. A number of Clan members seem to be in favour of taking Clowney, and maybe then follow up with Taylor Lewen or a WR.

My own choice is for Offense/Defense. The best OT when we draft (preferably a small trade down), followed by the best DB. If the trade down was with Cleveland and we picked up the extra first, then my dream scenario is O/D/D - Robinson/Dennard/Pryor.

punahou is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    The only offensive position I'd care to draft in the first is OT; WR is a need but I think you could find a good player in the 2nd or 3rd round. I'd still prefer Clowney at #2, but if we could trade down I think the way to go would be to draft OT with our first pick, and then go CB/S with our second 1st rounder.
    That has become the Road More Traveled for the Rams. We have missed out on Keenan Allen, Alshon Jefferies, and Josh Gordon to name a few all in the hopes that we could pretend we are Bobby Beathard and be able to make chicken feed out of chicken BEEP.

All the Bradford supporters out there need to realize part of the passing game are WRs-- of which we really dont have a real one.

yes we probably need a safety-- but we have a great pass rush to help compensate for DB play.. Safety is an area we can look at in rd 2 IMO.
    Last edited by punahou; -02-18-2014 at 01:04 PM.

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by SWFCRAM View Post
    I’m surprised that the fourth option wasn’t in the poll, Defense/Offense. A number of Clan members seem to be in favour of taking Clowney, and maybe then follow up with Taylor Lewen or a WR.

My own choice is for Offense/Defense. The best OT when we draft (preferably a small trade down), followed by the best DB. If the trade down was with Cleveland and we picked up the extra first, then my dream scenario is O/D/D - Robinson/Dennard/Pryor.
    Sorry - should have specified that Offense/Defense can also mean Defense/Offense by virtue of spending one of our first rounders on either side of the ball.
    SWFCRAM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SWFCRAM View Post
    If Clowney is gone by the time we draft at #4, this would be my dream scenario
    SWFCRAM likes this.

punahou is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    If Clowney is gone by the time we draft at #4, this would be my dream scenario
    4? are you sure about that?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Mine would be as follows:

Trade back with the second and land one of the big four, Robinson,Clowney,Mathews or Watkins. Pick up a second and a third round. Then at 13 trade back to 20-22 and add another second.

This would give us one of the blue chip players along with a mid to late first round pick. Day two we could start to fill out the depth on our roster with five picks three in the second and two in the third. This is a deep draft with all the underclassmen coming out. Keep in mind we got Tree at 30 and he looks like he will be a stud for years to come. We need to fill a lot of holes still. S,DB,LB,OT,G,WR,QB,RB.....
    Nick, Bar-bq, Vinnie25 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Mine would be as follows:

Trade back with the second and land one of the big four, Robinson,Clowney,Mathews or Watkins. Pick up a second and a third round. Then at 13 trade back to 20-22 and add another second.

This would give us one of the blue chip players along with a mid to late first round pick. Day two we could start to fill out the depth on our roster with five picks three in the second and two in the third. This is a deep draft with all the underclassmen coming out. Keep in mind we got Tree at 30 and he looks like he will be a stud for years to come. We need to fill a lot of holes still. S,DB,LB,OT,G,WR,QB,RB.....
    I agree with everything you said; this is one of the deepest drafts in years (especially as far as WR and CB's go) and the Rams should trade back to get as many picks in the first 3 rounds as possible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast