View Poll Results: Which sides of the ball are you spending our first round picks on?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Offense/Offense

8 26.67%
  • Defense/Defense

1 3.33%
  • Offense/Defense

21 70.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What's your round one strategy?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: What's your round one strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Mine would be as follows:

Trade back with the second and land one of the big four, Robinson,Clowney,Mathews or Watkins. Pick up a second and a third round. Then at 13 trade back to 20-22 and add another second.

This would give us one of the blue chip players along with a mid to late first round pick. Day two we could start to fill out the depth on our roster with five picks three in the second and two in the third. This is a deep draft with all the underclassmen coming out. Keep in mind we got Tree at 30 and he looks like he will be a stud for years to come. We need to fill a lot of holes still. S,DB,LB,OT,G,WR,QB,RB.....
    Not a bad idea, but it's time to start winning NOW. How did trading back twice the RG3 draft workout in 2012?

Rd 1 - Michael Brockers (Solid Pick)
    Rd 2 - Brian Quick (Bust)
    Rd 2 - Janoris Jenkins (Calling still out; doesn't look great)
    Rd 2 - Isaiah Pead (Bust)
    Rd 3 - Trumaine Johnson (Good Pick)
    Rd 4 - Chris Givens (Sucks)
    Rd 5 - Rok Watkins (Sucks)
    Rd 6 - Greg Zuerlein (Solid Pick)
    Rd 7 - Aaron Brown (Sucks)
    Rd 7 - Daryl Richardson (Bottom Feeder)

Now I'm not saying we shouldn't have traded back because it's benefited us the past 3 years hugely. But this is an example of a draft with a trade down. I'm sure 99% of us thought we were going to be loaded by that draft and thought we could fill so many holes, yet there are probably only 4 or 5 out of 10 are worth keeping, and one of those was a 1st round pick which you MUST nail year in year out.

I'm not against trading down this year either. I'm just pondering. Maybe this year it's important that we just stay put (or trade down to #4) and land 2 "elite" players.

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post

Not a bad idea, but it's time to start winning NOW. How did trading back twice the RG3 draft workout in 2012?

Now I'm not saying we shouldn't have traded back because it's benefited us the past 3 years hugely. But this is an example of a draft with a trade down. I'm sure 99% of us thought we were going to be loaded by that draft and thought we could fill so many holes, yet there are probably only 4 or 5 out of 10 are worth keeping, and one of those was a 1st round pick which you MUST nail year in year out.

I'm not against trading down this year either. I'm just pondering. Maybe this year it's important that we just stay put (or trade down to #4) and land 2 "elite" players.
    So you have written off Quick and Givens? Glad you're not the GM.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Nope. They're paving their own way out. Quick apparently just can't get it, and Givens can't catch a ball to save his life. I'm willing to bet Givens is nothing more than a deep threat in his career and Quick amounts to nothing, sadly. This is shaping up to be both of their last chances to impress. I'd happily take a WR in the first round this year and not think twice about it.

A WR corps I'd be damn happy with would be:

X - Mike Evans
    Y - Tavon Austin
    Z - Stedman Bailey
    Last edited by sosa39rams; -02-19-2014 at 08:55 AM.

THE DREAM TEAM

You'd pass on a good WR prospect because we have Brian Quick and Chris Givens? Glad you're not the GM.

THE DREAM TEAM

You'd pass on a good WR prospect because we have Brian Quick and Chris Givens?
    When did I say that?

When did I say that?
    Adding a WR means that Brian Quick and Chris Givens will barely see the field and will be riding the pine, as Stedman Bailey, Tavon Austin, and the Draft Pick would be playing before them. That in turn would be you "writing off" Givens and Quick. If you are adding another WR right after adding two last year (one of them was the 8th pick) you have obviously no belief that the remaining guys are going to amount to anything..

Your in favour of adding another WR, which means you are in favour of putting Quick and Givens on the bench.

THE DREAM TEAM

Adding a WR means that Brian Quick and Chris Givens will barely see the field and will be riding the pine, as Stedman Bailey, Tavon Austin, and the Draft Pick would be playing before them. That in turn would be you "writing off" Givens and Quick. If you are adding another WR right after adding two last year (one of them was the 8th pick) you have obviously no belief that the remaining guys are going to amount to anything..

Your in favour of adding another WR, which means you are in favour of putting Quick and Givens on the bench.
    Stop trying to put words in my mouth.

If the Rams use a first round pick on a WR, that player and Austin would be locks for spots in the Rams' 4 WR rotation. That leaves Quick, Bailey, Givens and Pettis to compete for the other 2 spots.

None of that eqates to Quick being a "bust" or Givens being a player who "sucks," as you labeled them.

Stop trying to put words in my mouth.

If the Rams use a first round pick on a WR, that player and Austin would be locks for spots in the Rams' 4 WR rotation. That leaves Quick, Bailey, Givens and Pettis to compete for the other 2 spots.

None of that eqates to Quick being a "bust" or Givens being a player who "sucks," as you labeled them.
    Man, I love Sam Bradford. He's such a good QB. Either way, I'm gonna take a QB in round 1 and start the rookie while Sam can sit on the bench. I'm not giving up on Sam though! He's just not good enough to play.

THE DREAM TEAM

Man, I love Sam Bradford. He's such a good QB. Either way, I'm gonna take a QB in round 1 and start the rookie while Sam can sit on the bench. I'm not giving up on Sam though! He's just not good enough to play.
    Your analysis sucks, and is a complete bust.

shower beers is offline Registered User

uhhhhh....WAT

shower beers is offline Registered User

Getting back to the original topic. Can I chose BPA/BPA?

I have a feeling our final draft spots will be nowhere near where we started, and I would adjust my strategy to taking the best player available, regardless of which side of the ball they're on. I think the only certainty for these picks is that they'll be moved in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    uhhhhh....WAT
    AV's thought process not mine. I was using Sam in a hypothetical.

THE DREAM TEAM

AV's thought process not mine. I was using Sam in a hypothetical.
    Never mind that your hypothetical would only be relevant if teams ran a 4 QB set.

You see, when you make an argument by using an analogy, you have to compare similar subjects (i.e. two apples). If, instead, you compare two things that are substantially different (i.e. and apple and an orange - or in your case, an apple and a piano), then the analogy is meaningless.

You should have just acknowledged that calling Quick a "bust" and saying that Givens "sucks" was overly harsh and moved on.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-19-2014 at 11:37 AM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Without getting into a big debate here, lets see how our young WRs respond with the starting QB back. Lets see how our young DBs respond with a real coordinator.

How about Tree Bailey and Stacy combination by moving back? It's still to early to completely pass judgement one way or another but you are clearly on record as to what you think of our draft picks.

Maybe you are so harsh because you think it's been three years when we have traded back only the last two years.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

My fervent hope is that either or both Jake Matthews or Greg Robinson grade out at the top of the Rams' board. If they for whatever reason/reasons do not, and we trade down, perhaps Watkins. I do think the odds are that we will trade out of the #2 pick. Just how far down will be interesting. If there are no eager suitors, and we have to keep the pick, I'd hope either Matthews or Robinson would be the selection.

If on the other hand, Clowney is still on the board, and after a thorough vetting at the combine Fish/Snead view him as head and shoulders above all others, I won't whine and snivel about it.

My personal feeling is that our most pressing needs are OT, and the secondary, BPA be it safety or cornerback. Accordingly I voted O & D.
    Randart likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast