View Poll Results: Which sides of the ball are you spending our first round picks on?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Offense/Offense

8 26.67%
  • Defense/Defense

1 3.33%
  • Offense/Defense

21 70.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What's your round one strategy?

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Re: What's your round one strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Without getting into a big debate here, lets see how our young WRs respond with the starting QB back. Lets see how our young DBs respond with a real coordinator.

How about Tree Bailey and Stacy combination by moving back? It's still to early to completely pass judgement one way or another but you are clearly on record as to what you think of our draft picks.

Maybe you are so harsh because you think it's been three years when we have traded back only the last two years.
    Tree, Bailey, and Stacy don't matter because I was only talking about the 2012 draft. It may seem harsh, but it's simply the truth. We've seen a million WR's walk in here with talent and leave a few years later (Kennan Burton, Donnie Avery to name a few).

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Never mind that your hypothetical would only be relevant if teams ran a 4 QB set.

You see, when you make an argument by using an analogy, you have to compare similar subjects (i.e. two apples). If, instead, you compare two things that are substantially different (i.e. and apple and an orange - or in your case, an apple and a piano), then the analogy is meaningless.

You should have just acknowledged that calling Quick a "bust" and saying that Givens "sucks" was overly harsh and moved on.
    I don't believe it's overly harsh at all. I'm simply basing it off their play, nothing more nothing less. There 'aint no sugarcoating it.

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I don't believe it's overly harsh at all. I'm simply basing it off their play, nothing more nothing less. There 'aint no sugarcoating it.
    Sigh...

You're bringing this on yourself.

The following are total stats (receptions/yards/TDs) for the first 2 years of each player's career:

Chris Givens: 76/1,267/3
    Brian Hartline: 74/1,121/4
    Pierre Garcon: 51/788/4
    Jordy Nelson: 55/686/4
    Eric Decker: 50/612/9
    Julian Edleman: 44/445/1
    Vincent Jackson: 30/511/6
    Brian Quick: 29/458/4

Now, what do all of the non-Rams on this list have in common? Answer: they all had over 1,000 yards receiving in 2013.

So...

Chris Givens had more receptions and yards over his first two seasons than 6 WRs who went on to have 1,000 yard seasons, and yet, he "sucks."

Brian Quick had one less reception than Vincent Jackson, and 13 more receiving yards and three more TDs than Julian Edelman, over his first two seasons, and yet, he's a "bust."

Again... I'm REALLY glad you're not the GM. Some players take longer than others to develop. Right now, the Rams have 5 WRs coming back for 2014 (Austin, Quick, Pettis, Bailey and Givens). They may very well draft a sixth. They could conceivably carry all six, and three to four will see significant playing time. Under these circumstances, the notion of writing off Givens and Quick makes no sense whatsoever, so putting labels on them serves no purpose.

Sigh...

You're bringing this on yourself.

The following are total stats (receptions/yards/TDs) for the first 2 years of each player's career:

Chris Givens: 76/1,267/3
    Brian Hartline: 74/1,121/4
    Pierre Garcon: 51/788/4
    Jordy Nelson: 55/686/4
    Eric Decker: 50/612/9
    Julian Edleman: 44/445/1
    Vincent Jackson: 30/511/6
    Brian Quick: 29/458/4

Now, what do all of the non-Rams on this list have in common? Answer: they all had over 1,000 yards receiving in 2013.

So...

Chris Givens had more receptions and yards over his first two seasons than 6 WRs who went on to have 1,000 yard seasons, and yet, he "sucks."

Brian Quick had one less reception than Vincent Jackson, and 13 more receiving yards and three more TDs than Julian Edelman, over his first two seasons, and yet, he's a "bust."

Again... I'm REALLY glad you're not the GM. Some players take longer than others to develop. Right now, the Rams have 5 WRs coming back for 2014 (Austin, Quick, Pettis, Bailey and Givens). They may very well draft a sixth. They could conceivably carry all six, and three to four will see significant playing time. Under these circumstances, the notion of writing off Givens and Quick makes no sense whatsoever, so putting labels on them serves no purpose.
    That is all fine and dandy, but:

Jordy Nelson needed the best QB and high flying offense in the league.
    Decker needed a HOF'er potentially best of all time QB to break 1,000.
    Edelman also playing with one of the best HOF'ers of all time.
    Garcon being another WR benefitting from a high flying offense and once again, Manning.

You see the trend here? Hartline and VJ are the only two WR's who did it in a similar situation as Givens and Quick.

THE DREAM TEAM

That is all fine and dandy, but:

Jordy Nelson needed the best QB and high flying offense in the league.
    Decker needed a HOF'er potentially best of all time QB to break 1,000.
    Edelman also playing with one of the best HOF'ers of all time.
    Garcon being another WR benefitting from a high flying offense and once again, Manning.

You see the trend here? Hartline and VJ are the only two WR's who did it in a similar situation as Givens and Quick.
    So what's your point? That without great QBs (Garcon didn't play with Manning this year, by the way), all of these guys would "suck" or be "busts"?

Just keep digging the hole deeper and deeper.

You probably would have called Isaac Bruce a bust after his rookie year, too.

So what's your point? That without great QBs (Garcon didn't play with Manning this year, by the way), all of these guys would "suck" or be "busts"?

Just keep digging the hole deeper and deeper.

You probably would have called Isaac Bruce a bust after his rookie year, too.
    Nope, now you're putting words in my mouth....

I have patience. That's not the issue. I'm giving Sam the benefit of the doubt. I've given plenty of guys many years to develop, anywhere from Cliff Ryan to Jason Smith. In football you typically need 3 years to finally understand the game and be ready to produce. That's just the way it is.

I can appreciate the fact that Givens has had some decent production, but they guy will never be a #1. After watching him his rookie year everyone was high on him, with some even saying he could be our #1 which was truly laughable. Football is all about what have you done for me lately. Givens regressed BIG and has no chance vs #1 CB's. He runs sloppy routes and doesn't have good hands. He's 1 dimensional. He can make a career out of it though, think about a guy like Robert Meachem.

Quick was well known as a project coming out. I want to see more of Quick but not at the expense of us getting a true #1 WR.

I wouldn't cut these guys and they provide decent depth, but at the end of the day everyone still wants to add a WR that can be that go to guy across from a consistent weapon in Bailey and electrifying talent like Austin.

THE DREAM TEAM

In football you typically need 3 years to finally understand the game and be ready to produce.
    Exactly.

Case closed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123