eric2810 is offline Registered User

Where's the Love for Colt?

24/40, for 340 yards passing yards, 60% Completion, 4 TD's
    18 att for 175 yards rushing. 1 TD

Those were Colt McCoy's stat's for his Thanksgiving Day performance. He's been playing consistent this season, racking up 3,328 yards passing with 27 TD's thrown. Mentally, I believe Colt could be the best Pro ready Quarterback. Even despite playing in a spread offense. The guy is accurate, mobile, and finds ways to win. Sure he may not be considered at Top 5 prospect, but if we can draft him somehow, I can see him being more productive for us than guys like Locker, Bradford, or Clausen. I'd rather see us draft BPA with a our first round pick, and either move up or wait for McCoy at the top of the 2nd. A scenario as such would give us two early solid picks to build upon for the future.

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: Where's the Love for Colt?

Colt's a nice college QB.

Watch Tony Pike on ABC fight now, thats a pro QB.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by eric2810 View Post
    He's been playing consistent this season, racking up 3,328 yards passing with 27 TD's thrown.
    I would disagree, and I'd point to games such as Texas Tech, Colorado, Oklahoma, etc. He's kind of turned it on more recently, and maybe he rides that momentum and finishes strong. But he's had just as many less than stunning games as he's had eye-poppers.

There was a six-game stretch in the middle of this year where he didn't throw for more than 300 yards at all. During that six-game stretch, McCoy averaged only 220 passing yards and threw for only 10 total touchdowns (1.6 touchdowns per game). To compare, in his other five games, he's thrown for an average of 340 yards per game with 2.6 passing touchdowns per game. It's hard for me to call that consistent.

Mentally, McCoy is going to have to adjust to a quarterback-friendly Texas spread offense to a more conventional pro-style offense. He's going to have to become more adept at going through his progressions, especially while dropping back from behind center. Because of that, I don't think that makes him the most pro ready quarterback in this class. That's going to be an adjustment, but I think McCoy has the kind of intangibles to make you think he has a solid chance to make the transition.

The thing with McCoy is that he's not particularly great at any one thing. Despite his lofty completion percentage, I feel his accuracy is good but not great. His arm strength is good but not great. His size is good but not great. His mobility is good but not great. He's almost like a jack of all trades, but master of none. That may not necessarily be a bad thing, because you want a guy who is good at a lot of different things. For instance, the Rams would probably like a guy who can move and throw accurately on the run, and McCoy can do that.

So I would agree that if he's there at the top of the second round, he needs to get a long hard look. A second round McCoy isn't going to have the same kind of pressure to get rushed onto the field as a Top Three QB will. Which is good for McCoy, because he'll probably need some time to break his ties with the spread shotgun offense. Then again, with his lack of top physical skills, it wouldn't surprise me if come April he splits even later than that. Such is the story of college quarterbacks coming from the spread offense, nowadays.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

No one is talking about the Texas A&M qb who had an equally outstanding night. When they compared the two qb's he was ahead of colt in every category but completion percentage. Is he declaring eligibility for the draft?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

There's a lot to like about Colt, but I'm just not sure he has an NFL arm.

If the scouts are convinced that he can "make all the throws" needed in the NFL, I'd consider him. Not as a top 10 pick, though.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

i mean if the guy is around for our second pick i'd certainly consider it, even if we had a mid to late first rounder, but we don't. not worth the risk as high as we are picking, not even close. you draft the wrong qb in the top 5 and it can hurt your team for a long time, ask san fransisco and oakland among others.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I like the kid. As Nick said, he's a jack of all trades. I personally think he is perfect for the type of offense that we are trying to build. You build around a power running back, and have a quarterback that can manage the game. He doesn't have to go out and be Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, just control the ball and score a touchdown or two a game. The west coast offense is a lot of short fast completions to keep the chains moving. When we do want to go deep, he has shown his ability to get the ball down field if necessary.

Maybe it's just me, but I am not understanding why everyone is focusing on arm strength and ability to get the ball down the field deep, when we aren't going to be doing either of those. Lets face it, we are going to be a west coast offense, so why not draft a quarterback who would fit in well in that style of offense. Someone with accuracy and a high completion percentage.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Colt does one thing very well......win.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I am not understanding why everyone is focusing on arm strength and ability to get the ball down the field deep, when we aren't going to be doing either of those.
    Fair point. In an offense where most of the passes are short or intermediate routes, the importance of arm strength is diminished. Don't get me wrong, I think a successful NFL quarterback has to be able to make NFL throws. But I don't think the guy has to have an absolute cannon to make it. if I had to pick one attribute for my quarterback to have, arm strength would probably be no higher than third on the list, preceded by accuracy and decision making. I'd probably even prefer mobility to arm strength, but that's arguable.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Maybe it's just me, but I am not understanding why everyone is focusing on arm strength and ability to get the ball down the field deep, when we aren't going to be doing either of those. Lets face it, we are going to be a west coast offense, so why not draft a quarterback who would fit in well in that style of offense. Someone with accuracy and a high completion percentage.
    You need to have the threat of the long ball, even if it is a minor part of your arsenal. Look at Chad Pennington. He's had some success in the league, but the knock on him is that defenses don't respect/worry about his ability to throw the long ball.

Understand, though... to me this is a critique that moves McCoy from Round 1 to Round 2 consideration. It does not remove him from consideration entirely.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I was watching some highlights, highlights being the key word, of Colt and he seemed that when he needed to, he had the long ball in his arsonal. Whether he was looking good because he can toss it deep, or if it was just because of the highlights is up for debate. One thing we know for certain is he preferes to make the short quick accurate passes that we really need in a west coast offense. If he can find some success in a bowl game and have a quality combine, he could be the guy for us.

Ideally I am hoping that he slides because he is more of a west coast quarterback and we can grab him in the 2nd. Then we could use our first to grab someone like Suh or Cody. Fill two major holes with two picks, while getting the BPA and someone that fits the scheme.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I was watching some highlights, highlights being the key word, of Colt and he seemed that when he needed to, he had the long ball in his arsonal. Whether he was looking good because he can toss it deep, or if it was just because of the highlights is up for debate. One thing we know for certain is he preferes to make the short quick accurate passes that we really need in a west coast offense. If he can find some success in a bowl game and have a quality combine, he could be the guy for us.

Ideally I am hoping that he slides because he is more of a west coast quarterback and we can grab him in the 2nd. Then we could use our first to grab someone like Suh or Cody. Fill two major holes with two picks, while getting the BPA and someone that fits the scheme.
    Agreed, this is truly a dream scenario and at least 50% of it can be a reality unless we win the rest of our games.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Agreed, this is truly a dream scenario and at least 50% of it can be a reality unless we win the rest of our games.
    Hey it worked for us last year with Smith and Laurinaitis!