Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    39thebeast is offline Registered User

Who is this 2nd round QB everyone is talking about?

This isn't a Suh Bash thread, just a simple question. Alot of people are talking about drafting Suh then grabbing a QB in the second. Who is this QB. After Bradford and Claussen IMO all other options are far from enticing. Colt McCoy? maybe Tony Pike lets see how he works out? I don't know maybe i'm missing something

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Who is this 2nd round QB everyone is talking about?

In terms of the second round, I think McCoy is intriguing. As is Mallett, if he comes out and is available in round two. He needs more time, which he could be afforded as a second round pick IMO. Pike will probably be there, and may last until the third. There are some mid round guys I'm intrigued by as well, but I'll refrain since you asked about the second round specifically.

You say this isn't a Suh bash thread, but is this a "we need to pick a QB in the first round" thread instead? Your statement about the options not being enticing after Bradford/Clausen makes me think that's the case.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The real question is whether Bradford or Clausen is good enough to merit the first pick in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    In terms of the second round, I think McCoy is intriguing. As is Mallett, if he comes out and is available in round two. He needs more time, which he could be afforded as a second round pick IMO. Pike will probably be there, and may last until the third. There are some mid round guys I'm intrigued by as well, but I'll refrain since you asked about the second round specifically.

You say this isn't a Suh bash thread, but is this a "we need to pick a QB in the first round" thread instead? Your statement about the options not being enticing after Bradford/Clausen makes me think that's the case.
    Its not a we need to take a QB thread. It is just commenting on how terrible this class is all around.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

In my mind, I prefer to draft QB's in the first round, because let's face it. The quarterback is THE most important player on the field. The game of football revolves around the QB. The QB is the "alpha male". So, I like my QB's to be top-tier talent, so to say.

Some teams can win with QB's who aren't dominant, but can get the job done without major problems. However, a dominant QB, a QB who can inspire, who has the talent to win big, can lead their team to comebacks, those QB's will up the playing level of every guy on that team.

In this draft, I don't find the QB's in the second round to be very solid.

Who do we have?

Tony Pike
    Colt McCoy
    Ryan Mallett (maybe)
    Tim Tebow
    Dan LeFevour

IMO, I think Pike would fit us best, because his accuracy will be fitting for our WCO, and due to the fact that we never throw a deep ball, so his arm strength won't be tested too much.

Ryan Mallett is a much more raw prospect, but has better intangibles, and is a much better athlete, has a way better arm, and has a more solid bulk than Tony "skinny" Pike. However, I don't think he is ready to start on Day One.

That is the reason why I say we hold up on QB until 2011. Or, we try to trade back for Sam Bradford.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    However, I don't think he is ready to start on Day One.

I don't think any QB who comes in will be ready to start on day one.

Unless Bulger is cut loose, I don't think our rookie will be starting at the beginning of the season. Which goes back to the important question.

I don't know which QB will be available round two. But I know none of these guys are worth the #1 pick in the draft. So unless we get some kind of blockbuster trade, I fully expect the best player in the draft get picked at #1, by us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

I'm tired of people saying this draft class is horrible. People say that about every draft class, because they dont know how a player will turn out, they could be ryan leaf or they could be peyton manning, you just dont know.

Now I think that the following QB's will be available if the come to the draft; C.McCoy, C.Kenumm, R.Mallet, D.Lefevour, T.Tebow, J.Snead, T.Pike, J.Brown, D.Clark, R.Smith.
    All of them will have room to grow, and none of them are ready to start on day one. So either way we have a crap shoot on our hands, we just have to trust Devaney and spags have some good QB evaluators working with them.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The real question is whether Bradford or Clausen is good enough to merit the first pick in the draft.
    The real question is do we need an unproven DT more than an unproven QB.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Its not a we need to take a QB thread. It is just commenting on how terrible this class is all around.
    I'm not sure I'm ready to make that assessment just yet. I've stated before (and Nick here as well), the QB list doesn't end with Bradford and Clausen. They may (or may not) be the only two 1st round QBs, but there are actually several QBs that would be worth a look (depending on combine, workouts, and interviews to come) most likely available at the #33 spot. Pike and McCoy are the first two that come to mind. Mallett, if he comes out (though I doubt he does).

There are options. And with Suh on board, I'm going to feel better about our 2nd regardless of who we draft.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    I'm tired of people saying this draft class is horrible. People say that about every draft class, because they dont know how a player will turn out, they could be ryan leaf or they could be peyton manning, you just dont know.

Now I think that the following QB's will be available if the come to the draft; C.McCoy, C.Kenumm, R.Mallet, D.Lefevour, T.Tebow, J.Snead, T.Pike, J.Brown, D.Clark, R.Smith.
    All of them will have room to grow, and none of them are ready to start on day one. So either way we have a crap shoot on our hands, we just have to trust Devaney and spags have some good QB evaluators working with them.
    Keenum- just had his worst game of his career throwing 6 ints, I doubt he comes out and makes that the last thing Scouts see

Snead- Huge disappointment this year, was once a first round pick, but he probably stays to rehab his stock.

Mallet- Even though he didn't throw a pick his last game could have been ass bad as Keenum's. Only one completion on 3rd down the money down. He lead an offense that converted 0 first downs. He needs to stay in school.

That leaves McCoy and Pike (when it comes to the second round) and right now i'm not sold on them. I could get sold on them? Ya, but as of now i'm not

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

personally, i'm hoping we pick up a veteran guy and draft someone more in the 3-4 round range.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    So you'd be inclined to wait until next year, go with a free agent, stick with what we have, or...?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    In my mind, I prefer to draft QB's in the first round, because let's face it. The quarterback is THE most important player on the field. The game of football revolves around the QB. The QB is the "alpha male". So, I like my QB's to be top-tier talent, so to say.

Some teams can win with QB's who aren't dominant, but can get the job done without major problems. However, a dominant QB, a QB who can inspire, who has the talent to win big, can lead their team to comebacks, those QB's will up the playing level of every guy on that team.

In this draft, I don't find the QB's in the second round to be very solid.

Who do we have?

Tony Pike
    Colt McCoy
    Ryan Mallett (maybe)
    Tim Tebow
    Dan LeFevour

IMO, I think Pike would fit us best, because his accuracy will be fitting for our WCO, and due to the fact that we never throw a deep ball, so his arm strength won't be tested too much.

Ryan Mallett is a much more raw prospect, but has better intangibles, and is a much better athlete, has a way better arm, and has a more solid bulk than Tony "skinny" Pike. However, I don't think he is ready to start on Day One.

That is the reason why I say we hold up on QB until 2011. Or, we try to trade back for Sam Bradford.
    I dont know why you think that a first round QB is necessarily top tier talent when compared to a later round pick. JaMarcus Russell was drafted first overall and has been terrible. I wouldnt want that "top-tier talent" on my team.

Look at the best QBs in the NFL. Sure some of them are first rounders. But then you have guys like Drew Brees, Matt Schaub and Brett Favre. None were drafted in the first round.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

While I think the posts here are mostly spot on, I have a slightly different take on the QB situation. I start by looking at the draft talent and then determine who best fits our system. Then I look at our coaching staff to see who will coach our young QB and teach him the transition from college to the pro's, which is no small transition. Given that our QB coach is Richard Curl, who is also the Assistant HC, might we not consider watching if the Rams hire a dedicated QB coach. Perhaps Jim Zorn who is looking for a paycheck might be a consideration. I think that will tell us a little about the FO's gameplan. We'll probably be best served with a developmental QB from the draft such as Mallet (if available) or Lefevour. I don't see the Rams whose needs are tremendous risking a 2nd Round pick on a QB with a lot of questions. I saw a mock having us take Jevan Snead in the 4th round.

While the first pick will likely be Suh, our round 2 pick will probably involve far greater discussion this offseason. IMO. Feel free to debunk my theory.

Go Rams!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    So you'd be inclined to wait until next year, go with a free agent, stick with what we have, or...?
    I probably would be inclined to wait until next year, but the problem is I don't think we have the luxury to wait. If we wait who is going to be stop gap? That pool is going to be severely restricted by an uncapped year. I don't think we have alot right now assuming we don't bring Bulger and his contract don't come back.

In the end the rams will probably come out of the first 2 rounds with a QB because FA isn't going to offer many solutions and there is a dire need at QB IMO. At this point I see the Rams picking Tony Pike over Colt McCoy just my gut feeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast