View Poll Results: Who is the 3rd best OT prospect?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lane Johnson, Oklahoma

    5 29.41%
  • D.J. Fluker, Alabama

    10 58.82%
  • Dallas Thomas, Tennessee

    1 5.88%
  • Barrett Jones, Alabama

    1 5.88%
  • Chris Faulk, LSU

    0 0%
  • Kyle Long, Oregon

    0 0%
  • Someone else (who?)

    0 0%
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams
  • 2 Post By Nick
  • 1 Post By TekeRam

Thread: Who is the 3rd best OT prospect in the draft?

  1. #1
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,936
    Rep Power
    170

    Who is the 3rd best OT prospect in the draft?

    I think most agree that Nos. 1 and 2 are set (Joekel, Fisher).

    Who do you have next on the list.

    Note: I've included Barrett Jones despite the fact that he played C last year, as he played LT in 2011.


  2. #2
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,535
    Rep Power
    45

    Re: Who is the 3rd best OT prospect in the draft?

    Gotta go with OT Lane Johnson. He has the ability to play LT, which is awesome. Its not very easy to find someone like that late in the first round. He is a project at this point, but he's looked solid late in the year and in the senior bowl, completely stonewalling pass rushers. I also like Fluker, but I gave Johnson the edge because he is (1) a better pass blocker, and (2) has the ability to play LT.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  3. #3
    mcpeepants232003's Avatar
    mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    741
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Who is the 3rd best OT prospect in the draft?

    Lane Johnson

  4. #4
    Vinnie25's Avatar
    Vinnie25 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    882
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Who is the 3rd best OT prospect in the draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Gotta go with OT Lane Johnson. He has the ability to play LT, which is awesome. Its not very easy to find someone like that late in the first round. He is a project at this point, but he's looked solid late in the year and in the senior bowl, completely stonewalling pass rushers. I also like Fluker, but I gave Johnson the edge because he is (1) a better pass blocker, and (2) has the ability to play LT.
    Didn't know too much about Lane Johnson before the Senior Bowl, but since then everyone has been raving about how effective he's been pass blocking. The question is what pick would we use to draft him? I think the 16th pick is too early for him, I'm still holding out hope that Warmack, Jonathan Cooper, or Sheldon Richardson will fall to us, but if not I say we trade down to secure another 2nd round pick. I like LJ with the 22nd pick, but I'm a little nervous that Chicago might take him at 20.

  5. #5
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,535
    Rep Power
    45

    Re: Who is the 3rd best OT prospect in the draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Didn't know too much about Lane Johnson before the Senior Bowl, but since then everyone has been raving about how effective he's been pass blocking. The question is what pick would we use to draft him? I think the 16th pick is too early for him, I'm still holding out hope that Warmack, Jonathan Cooper, or Sheldon Richardson will fall to us, but if not I say we trade down to secure another 2nd round pick. I like LJ with the 22nd pick, but I'm a little nervous that Chicago might take him at 20.
    I'm not necessarily saying draft him, I was just trying to answer the question. I'm not 100% sure I'd draft him, but if I did he'd have to be the BPA. I would not spend the #16 or #22 pick on him, I'd definitely think about taking him with our 2nd round pick if he slipped that far (though I think he'll be taken 25-35). He slides to LT, and you move Saffold over to RT or LG and almost solve 2 holes with one move.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  6. #6
    Vinnie25's Avatar
    Vinnie25 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    882
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Who is the 3rd best OT prospect in the draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I'm not necessarily saying draft him, I was just trying to answer the question. I'm not 100% sure I'd draft him, but if I did he'd have to be the BPA. I would not spend the #16 or #22 pick on him, I'd definitely think about taking him with our 2nd round pick if he slipped that far (though I think he'll be taken 25-35). He slides to LT, and you move Saffold over to RT or LG and almost solve 2 holes with one move.
    True, and who knows: Rok might come back from injury and completely dominate at LG. What do you think about trading back? Cincinnati has two picks in the 2nd round (37 and 53) and might be willing to trade up from the 21st to our 16th pick if there is someone they really like available. If the Rams had the 21st and 22nd pick, along with two 2nd rounders, they'd be able to fill a lot of positions of need with those.

  7. #7
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,535
    Rep Power
    45

    Re: Who is the 3rd best OT prospect in the draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    True, and who knows: Rok might come back from injury and completely dominate at LG. What do you think about trading back? Cincinnati has two picks in the 2nd round (37 and 53) and might be willing to trade up from the 21st to our 16th pick if there is someone they really like available. If the Rams had the 21st and 22nd pick, along with two 2nd rounders, they'd be able to fill a lot of positions of need with those.
    If they offered their 1st rounder (21) as well as their two 2nd rounders for our first rounder (16) I'd be ecstatic. I'd do that deal (unless Chance was on the board, if he isn't there I trade, if he is I stay put and snag him). I think this draft isn't good in the "elite once in a lifetime" prospects, so we're lucky were not picking in the top 5. I think the "thick" of this draft is from about 25-45.
    Vinnie25 likes this.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  8. #8
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,805
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Who is the 3rd best OT prospect in the draft?

    Depends on what you're looking for, IMO. If you want someone with left tackle potential, then I'd say Lane Johnson. If you want someone for the right side only, then I'd say D.J. Fluker. Objectively, without considering any team or their needs, Johnson would be my #3 tackle based on the LT potential. But if I'm drafting for the Rams, as in me personally, I'd probably prefer Fluker because he's more proven and more than fills the need at right tackle. But then again, I typically prefer safer guys to high risk/high reward prospects anyways, which is why, in 2009, I preferred Monroe to Jason Smith.
    Rammed and ZiaRam like this.

  9. #9
    Vinnie25's Avatar
    Vinnie25 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    882
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Who is the 3rd best OT prospect in the draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    If they offered their 1st rounder (21) as well as their two 2nd rounders for our first rounder (16) I'd be ecstatic. I'd do that deal (unless Chance was on the board, if he isn't there I trade, if he is I stay put and snag him). I think this draft isn't good in the "elite once in a lifetime" prospects, so we're lucky were not picking in the top 5. I think the "thick" of this draft is from about 25-45.
    Totally agree, but I doubt that Cincy would give up both their 2nd rounders to trade five spots in the 1st round. Honestly, I'd be happy if they gave us their 21st and 37th pick for our 16th... a lot of really good players should still be on the board.

  10. #10
    TekeRam's Avatar
    TekeRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, United States
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,879
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Who is the 3rd best OT prospect in the draft?

    Exactly what Nick said. Best left tackle prospect, that would be Lane Johnson. Best OT overall? Give me Fluker. And if we're going OT at 16 or 22, I'll take the Alabama kid. I trust what Saban is doing and forming there. If we could just take their starting offensive line and trade away all of our other pieces, I'd be rather excited.
    ZiaRam likes this.
    I believe!

  11. #11
    ZiaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,530
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: Who is the 3rd best OT prospect in the draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Exactly what Nick said. Best left tackle prospect, that would be Lane Johnson. Best OT overall? Give me Fluker. And if we're going OT at 16 or 22, I'll take the Alabama kid. I trust what Saban is doing and forming there. If we could just take their starting offensive line and trade away all of our other pieces, I'd be rather excited.
    I third what Nick said. However, I think Saffold will be a great starter for at least 2-6 years from now regardless if it's on the LT or RT positions. Wells on the other hand if he can overcome some of his ankle issues should be solid for another 1-3 years. And Dahl the same another 1-3 years. We really need to get another great OT and a LG prospect in this draft and secure our depth to solidify one of the most important units on the team. Grind out the rock behind dem boys and drop bombs down the field baby!

Similar Threads

  1. Best Draft Prospect Nickname
    By AvengerRam in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: -04-11-2012, 10:45 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: -04-19-2009, 02:50 AM
  3. MSN Draft Prospect Videos
    By Nick in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -03-17-2008, 07:43 PM
  4. New Draft prospect
    By itsguud in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: -02-22-2008, 08:09 PM
  5. Draft Prospect Highlights
    By Goldenfleece in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -04-28-2006, 02:04 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •