RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Who is Aaron Curry?

Seems like Devaney is gushing over this guy according to radio. They also apparently have their sights on an OT in the late first/early second. If this guy is the REAL deal at MLB, I'd be willing to wait to get a OL in the second round. It seems to be a more pressing need to me, assuming Pace is healthy ...

Here's the info on Curry. Looks like he could be the real deal MLB thumper we need. Most impressive with 15 passes defensed this year! At least the scouts think so. Look at the guns on this guy!

Aaron Curry, Wake Forest - Butkus Award Winner
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 241.
    Projected Projected 40 Time: 4.58.
    Projected Round: Top 20 Pick.

A member of the 2008 All-ACC First Team, Aaron Curry collected 101 tackles, 15 TFL and 2.5 sacks as a senior. He's easily the top-rated outside linebacker in this class, and there's a very good chance he'll crack the top 15.

Aaron Curry had a monstrous 2007 campaign, registering 99 tackles, 13.5 tackles for losses, four picks and three touchdowns.

A four-year starter for the Demon Deacons, Aaron Curry has a terrific blend of size and speed and is equally effective against both the run and the pass. Not only has Curry been very productive but he also has a knack for making the big play, which is evidenced by the three interceptions he returned for touchdowns as a junior. Curry doesn’t get the type of national attention that he deserves but make no mistake about it he is going to be a first round pick and don’t be surprised if he winds up in the Top 10 overall when all is said and done because the scouts absolutely love him.

Aaron Curry OLB 6'3 247 Wake Forest
    By: Robert Davis

In his first season on the field for the Demon Deacons, Curry earned Freshman All America honors after tallying 45 tackles, 7.5 f or loss, and one sack. His numbers almost doubled across the board as a sophomore, finishing the year with 83 tackles, 8.5 for loss, three sacks and an interception. Curry’s junior year was his best to date however. He earned All ACC honors after posting career highs of 99 tackles, 13.5 for loss, three sacks, and four interceptions. Three of those picks were returned for touchdowns.

Strengths

Curry is a complete linebacker prospect. He has the size, speed, strength, and instincts to be an impact defender at the next level. Curry has good size and active stopping the run. He will weed through the traffic to get to the ball carrier and make the play. Curry’s best trait may be his ability in coverage. He has the athleticism and speed to cover, but it is his awareness and ball skills that make him special. He has picked off five passes the past two years, and is a factor in this area. He is one of the better linebackers in coverage available this year, and his all around skills give him the versatility to play in a 4-3 or 3-4 defense.

Weaknesses

Curry is such a good player all around, it is hard to really tear apart his game. He could use his hands a little better getting off blocks at times, but that is technique that most college players do not attain until they get pro coaching. He also may not be the freak athlete with blazing speed to warrant a top ten selection, but that is just criticizing to criticize.

Aaron Curry LB Wake Forest
    STRENGTHS
    Aaron has excellent size, strength and speed to play the LB position. He is smart and understands situational football. He has shown leadership skills through his play on the field as well as demonstrated his knowledge of offenses from study in the film room. He is strong enough to meet, greet and shed offensive lineman, then be quick enough to rush the passer. He has excellent cover skills, understands the reasoning behind zone defense like a secondary coach and is a good tackler. Aaron is a franchise LB. A player you build your defense around. He is an Offensive Coordinator's nightmare when it comes to game planning.
    NEEDS TO IMPROVE
    There are things he needs to get better at, but nothing that makes you think that this kid is going to struggle becoming a star at the next level.
    TALENT BOARD ROUND 1
    Read my lips (or the words spoken by my lips)! Aaron Curry is the best LB in this draft class and this is a strong LB class. On the field, you can tell by the way he plays that he really has the respect of his fellow teammates and coaches. He is strong, fast and smart and could play any one of the LB positions and impact. Let me say this to all the USC and Ohio St fans: Aaron is the best LB in this draft class and I have all the film to prove it. This is not to downgrade any LB that has a high rating, but this should tell you that if you feel that your guy is the best in this draft, then I suggest you realize that Aaron is just a step or two better. He can stop the run and cover. He is always in the backfield making plays and pressuring QB's. He is directing and changing the defense like a coach --moving players around to put them in the right position to make plays. Aaron makes the players around him play better. That is the biggest difference between Aaron and some of the more highly rated LB's in this class. I call him Aaron (Red) Curry because once you draft him, he will spice up your defense!

Aaron Curry Wins Butkus Award
    Nation's best linebacker receives surprise visit from Dick Butkus

Dec. 9, 2008

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Wake Forest senior linebacker Aaron Curry was presented today with the Butkus Award, honoring the nation's top collegiate linebacker. Hall of Famer Dick Butkus and his son Matt presented the award during Coach Jim Grobe's media luncheon on Tuesday.

"It's amazing and an honor to receive this award," Curry said. "To be mentioned in the same sentence as Dick Butkus with the things he has done on the field and off the field, I'm just hoping that I get the chance to repeat the same intensity he instilled and the determination to punish the opponent."

A native of Fayetteville, N.C., Curry received 14 first place votes and 63 total points to finish first in the voting. USC's Rey Maualuga finished second with 56 points, while 2007 Butkus Award recipient James Laurinaitis of Ohio State finished third with 45 points. Closing out the top five was Brian Cushing of USC in fourth place with 27 points and Mark Herzlich of Boston College in fifth place with 11 points.

"I know I got the right guy," Butkus said. "And if you see the list, it's quite a list. It was a tight choice, but we're satisfied with who we have picking them. And if you've seen this guy play, you know he deserves it.

"Like it says on the trophy, he's getting this trophy and the recognition for being the outstanding linebacker in 2008, but the second paragraph says that he should not flinch from giving back. We're really fortunate that we've gotten to do something that we really love to do, and there's a responsibility that goes along with that whether you like it or not. I certainly didn't like it, but I can see what good you can do. And just like with Aaron, I want him, and all other past winners, although you got recognized for your play, now off the field I don't want you to shrink from helping and giving back."

Curry finished the regular season with a team-leading 101 tackles and 15 tackles for loss. A 2008 First Team All-ACC honoree, Curry contributed three fumble recoveries, a forced fumble and an interception, helping Wake Forest to 35 takeaways this season, which ranks second nationally. Curry also led Wake Forest to its school-record third consecutive bowl game, the EagleBank Bowl on December 20 in Washington, D.C., against Navy.

Curry becomes the fifth Atlantic Coast Conference linebacker to win the award. Others include E.J. Henderson of Maryland in 2002, Miami's Dan Morgan in 2000, Marvin Jones of Florida State in 1992 and Paul McGowan of Florida State in 1987.

Curry is just the second Deacon football player to win a major national award, other than All-America honors. Punter Ryan Plackemeier won the Ray Guy Award in 2005. In 2007, center Steve Justice was the runner-up for the Rimington Trophy, awarded to nation's top center.

A Butkus Award reception will be held on January 13 in Chicago to honor Curry. More information on the award, as well as ticket information for the banquet, can be found at Default PLESK Page

Selection Process Outlined The Butkus family received the Butkus Award® property earlier this year and called upon Hub Arkush of Pro Football Weekly to assemble a selection panel. Butkus and Arkush became friends broadcasting NFL games together beginning in 1985.

"Dick Butkus is a treasured and respected colleague. He envisioned the Butkus Award being a perfect vehicle to showcase the I Play CleanTM campaign that he and Matt Butkus founded to educate our youth on the dangers of performance-enhancing drugs. Given it is a cause I strongly believe in, my job was to form the most credible selection committee ever assembled for a major sports award, and oversee the balloting and selection process."

The 51-person selection panel is comprised of the best-known NFL General Managers, Head Coaches, Defensive Coordinators, Personnel Directors, Head Scouts, College Head Coaches, Recruiting Coordinators, three senior football journalists, and four highly-regarded independent talent evaluators. None of the NFL talent evaluators were allowed to have any contact with any college underclassmen, and none of our college coaches and evaluators were allowed to have any contact with any of the high school candidates. All votes are kept confidential to assure compliance with all NCAA and NFL rules and restrictions regarding scouting and recruiting.

About Dick and Matt Butkus Butkus was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1979, following an illustrious career with the Chicago Bears, University of Illinois and Chicago Vocational School. Meanwhile, his son Matt was a defensive lineman for the University of Southern California's 1990 Rose Bowl-winning team, and joins his father in philanthropic efforts.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Re: Who is Aaron Curry?

I know some draft gurus are considering Curry the best player in the draft, but no way do I take a linebacker 2nd overall when you have a franchise tackle waiting there for you.

Also, I'm sick of the Rams drafting/signing players and then asking them to learn a new position.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    I know some draft gurus are considering Curry the best player in the draft, but no way do I take a linebacker 2nd overall when you have a franchise tackle waiting there for you.

Also, I'm sick of the Rams drafting/signing players and then asking them to learn a new position.
    Well, no way we'd take him two, but if Devaney and crew have a tackle scoped for the late first/early second, then you trade down ...

With the potential OT's and QB's available high this year, there might be some real value in a trade ...

Curry is project by almost everyone to be a MIKE in the NFL ....

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Well, no way we'd take him two, but if Devaney and crew have a tackle scoped for the late first/early second, then you trade down ...

With the potential OT's and QB's available high this year, there might be some real value in a trade ...

Never count on a trade down, there's always gotta be someone to trade with you. Given a top 5 pick, I wouldn't take a linebacker We're gonna need at least 3 new starting linemen this offseason, drafting one with our pick is probably the best move. If we really want to fix the offensive line we should draft 3, and sign 2 free agents.

Linebackers are rarely huge game changers, most of the time top 5 backers are busts. Not to say a tackle won't be, but we need a tackle more than another backer.

Why settle for a second rate tackle in the second when we could have the best with our first pick? Is linebacker really our biggest defensive need?

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post

If we were able to trade down, and that's a big if, I'd hate the move far less, but I'd still not like it. I'd really like to grab one of the elite OTs for several reasons:

1. LT is one of the most important, if not THE most important, position on the field. Every team has holes, but on good teams one of those holes is rarely LT.

2. Elite LTs rarely slide out of the top 5, and hopefully this will be the last time in a while that the Rams have a chance to grab one in the draft. Great linebackers on the other hand can ususally be found much later.

3. It's much harder to find an under-valued LT in late rounds than an under-valued LT. The Bill Parcells theory or whatever.

4. I think that super athletic linebackers are overvalued. I want somebody who is big enough to make the tackles you expect him to make, and has a good nose for where the ball's going to be. Athleticism is of course nice, but I don't think having a top-notch linebacker is a game-changer in the same way that having a top-notch LT is.

Just my opinion of course, but I'll take the next Orlando Pace over the next Ray Lewis any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I'd even take the next Orlando Pace over the next Ray Lewis + an average LT (scenario if we're able to trade down).

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    Linebackers are rarely huge game changers, most of the time top 5 backers are busts. Not to say a tackle won't be, but we need a tackle more than another backer.
    Patrick Willis of the niners begs to differ. He is all over the field and gives that niner d some credibility. I'm not saying this curry kid is the next P Willy, but if the scouts do, we cant afford to pass him up.

Patrick Willis of the niners begs to differ. He is all over the field and gives that niner d some credibility. I'm not saying this curry kid is the next P Willy, but if the scouts do, we cant afford to pass him up.
    Not a top 5 pick

True, but are you saying that you wouldn't take Willis in the top five if given the chance? I would in a heartbeat.

True, but are you saying that you wouldn't take Willis in the top five if given the chance? I would in a heartbeat.
    Players get drafted before they become pros, you can't say you would have taken him higher after the fact. But we can play that game, would you take another Orlando Pace over Willis?

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    Players get drafted before they become pros, you can't say you would have taken him higher after the fact. But we can play that game, would you take another Orlando Pace over Willis?
    That is a tough choice, just because I think Willis is a monster and will be a star in this league for years to come, but I will agree with you, if Andre Smith turns into the next Orlando Pace, we need to grab him and get ready for a great career.

If Smith and Curry are the next Pace and Willis, then we shouldn't be able to mess this draft up.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Aaron Curry is a great looking MLB. But, I still think Scott Mckillop is also a good MLB, and he will be available in the 4th round. Mckillop is a tackling machine.

If we did in fact draft Curry, which if we did, that would mean we would have traded down, then we should draft two linemen with our 2 second round picks, a SS in the third, maybe a DT or WR in the fourth, then BPA from then onward.

If we pick Smith, then we should pick an interior lineman in the second (Johnson), and then SS or or DT in the third, then Mckillop in the fourth.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam
    Aaron Curry is a great looking MLB. But, I still think Scott Mckillop is also a good MLB, and he will be available in the 4th round.
    I wholeheartedly agree with the McKillop pick, but I disagree that he will be there in the 4th. In fact, depending on the first pick, I'd be tempted to grab him in the 2nd.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree with the McKillop pick, but I disagree that he will be there in the 4th. In fact, depending on the first pick, I'd be tempted to grab him in the 2nd.

Jeez, his stock is rising fast. We need to trade to get two second round picks somehow.

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Jeez, his stock is rising fast. We need to trade to get two second round picks somehow.
    Is McKillop a Stewart Bradley-esque type guy? The Eagles got great value for him in the draft and he looks like he's going to be a solid MLB in the league.