Drew is offline Registered User

who is the biggest potential bust from this years draft

i realise its hard to define a bust sometimes with lots of factors needed to be taken into account e.g a RB will be given less time than a DT or QB,where they are taken in the draft,maybe kennedy wouldnt be classed a bust if he was a 7th round compo pick...

for the sake of this discussion the rules are a bust is a player that has to be taken in the first round that wont even if fit be a starter for more than 5 years....i dont think someones a bust if they dont get into the pop bowl etc...

my top 3 in no particular order are-

jemarcus russell-strong arm and size but i cant help thinking he may be another byron leftwich!

levi brown-big drop off in quality of OT in this years draft after joe thomas is picked which is probable reason for his stock being so high in mock drafts,has motivational issues and may not even play OT in the NFL,may move to OG!

jamal anderson-even tho he has amazing physical attributes is very raw and needs a fair bit of fine tuning to be NFL ready after not playing DE that long in college,will take good coaching for him to reach his potential and is not a given that he will get that!
    Last edited by Drew; -04-19-2007 at 06:02 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: who is the biggest potential bust from this years draft

Lawrence Timmons--only one year of starting experience, not that instinctive, not that big, has trouble shedding blocks, relies too much on sheer athleticism...he strikes me as a very good athlete, but not a proven commodity.

Alan Branch--takes plays off, gets winded easily, weight could be an issue, doesn't have a mean streak, just too many question marks with regards to his drive to succeed. I hate to say it, but when you look for guys in the first round with things to be concerned about, he's one of the first to come up.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Russell, Ginn, Petersen
    Semper Fi!

RamsNation is offline Registered User

I don't claim to be good at predictions, but here is mine.

3. Marshawn Lynch-Just a gut feeling, but he gives off the same vibe to me as J.J. Arrington did when he came out.

2. Lawrence Timmons- Everything about this guy has been a disappointment so far. 2 and 1/2 inches shorter and 15 lbs lighter than he was thought to be 3 months ago. Not as much playing time as I would like, and he could face to big of a learning curve when playing vs NFL players and can't rely only on his atheleticism. And could he be a 1 year wonder?

1.Ted Ginn Jr.- Being drafted to a team with WR's like Torrey and Isaac could help him tremendously mentor wise, they made Kevin Curtis all he became which would have been nothing otherwise. But he could turn out to be a lightning bolt return guy who never pans out at receiver, like, and I hate to harp on this, but I must, Desmond Howard.
    Last edited by RamsNation; -04-20-2007 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Can't freekin' spell is why!

itsguud is offline Registered User

Okoye, Anderson, Branch, Carrikker, Adams.... all other DL's people 'THINK' will be amazing. I don't think that "there is deep talent at DL this year", I think the NFL is just short on talent at DL and therefore are putting more emphasis on these players. This is why I still say don't waste our first round pick on these guys.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Ginn may not be the biggest potential bust, but I can't help but think of Peter Warrick whenever Ginn's name is mentioned.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    Okoye, Anderson, Branch, Carrikker, Adams.... all other DL's people 'THINK' will be amazing. I don't think that "there is deep talent at DL this year", I think the NFL is just short on talent at DL and therefore are putting more emphasis on these players. This is why I still say don't waste our first round pick on these guys.
    I think this years draft is fairly deep at DE but not at DT.

keith m. klink Guest

in no perticular order , ted ginn , reggie nelson , lawerance timmons , if i had to pick a runnerup , it would be a QB tie , russell and quinn . oh , but my no perticular order would have GINN the most overrated .

Country is offline Registered User

1. Tedd Ginn, he is not a good WR and not where near as fast as everyone thinks.

2. Gaines Adams, if you go number two you should be a complete DE like Peppers.

Least Likely

DT Justin Harrell, he has great size at 6'4" 315lbs. and is a blue collar worker who plays hurt and works hard enough in the offseason to bench 31 reps after an arm injury. Guys with that kind of toughness and work ethic will have success in the NFL.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    1. Tedd Ginn, he is not a good WR and not where near as fast as everyone thinks.

2. Gaines Adams, if you go number two you should be a complete DE like Peppers.

Least Likely

DT Justin Harrell, he has great size at 6'4" 315lbs. and is a blue collar worker who plays hurt and works hard enough in the offseason to bench 31 reps after an arm injury. Guys with that kind of toughness and work ethic will have success in the NFL.
    Provided he's not on IR every other week.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    I'm with you on that one. The guy's got the desire, the athleticism, and neither of the injuries that sidelined him in college are likely to have a long-term effect on his play.

keith m. klink Guest

i think harrell is the best all around DT in the draft , to play either position . i think he is better that branch , and will have a better carreer , i think that okoye is close and might pass him down the road , but as of right now , my favorite DT in this braft , is and has been all year , justin harrell

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Branch and Ginn

The reason is the same for both: they made college careers out of relying on their physical gifts and never had to develop technique. In the NFL, everybody has those physical gifts, it's the technique and desire to hone that technique that sets apart the pro-bowlers from the wannabes.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

i would say the QB'S, they are the ones that the spotlight will shine the brightest on and i don't think they are pro bowl,star quality.