View Poll Results: Who's your choice for the Rams' first selection?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Andre Smith, OT, Alabama

6 8.00%
  • Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia

20 26.67%
  • Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

19 25.33%
  • Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia

1 1.33%
  • Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest

14 18.67%
  • B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College

5 6.67%
  • Mark Sanchez, QB, USC

1 1.33%
  • Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State

0 0%
  • Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss

5 6.67%
  • Someone else (who?)

4 5.33%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Re: Who do you want in Round 1 (Late January Edition)

I voted other I want to trade down and draft a MLB Round 1 (Maualuga,Laurinaitis, Cushing).
    Rd2 NT Ron Brace / C Mack or Unger
    Rd3 OT Fenuki Tupou

Those are our 4 biggest needs and the best positions for filling those needs with players that have good potential. We have been needing those 4 positions for a long time and its about time we start addressing them.

iStillBelieve is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    So what? Fitzgerald is one player. For every guy like him, who has enough ability to play in the NFL without top line speed, there are numerous players who fail to make it because they're just not fast enough.

I don't know where Crabtree falls. Maybe he CAN run a 4.5. Maybe he can't, but can overcome his lack of speed as Fitzgerald has.

All I'm saying is, if he CAN'T run a 4.5, I would not invest the 2nd pick in the draft on him. Particularly given that there are other pressing needs.
    I completely agree...I was just saying if he runs a 4.6 most people that are in love with Crabtree right now will just talk about how the forty doesn't matter, and bring up Fitzgerald and Boldin.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

True NTs are hard to come by, making me more and more believe that Raji could be our pick. Hard to decide yet. I'll wait and see how he does in the Combine.

iStillBelieve is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    True NTs are hard to come by, making me more and more believe that Raji could be our pick. Hard to decide yet. I'll wait and see how he does in the Combine.
    Yep I would love Raji as our pick. Jason Smith would also be good because of his athleticism and upside.

diehard99 is offline Registered User

My only concern with that would be that I heard that he wears down over the coarse of the game. I know hes a plugger and can slip the gaps at times but to stop the run in the 4th Quar. hed have to be able to have some gas left.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

If I had to vote right now, it'd probably be Monroe. Andre Smith is starting to cool off after the end of the season and his decision to come out, and the concerns about him are once again rising. Monroe appears to be the safer prospect of the two. Agility and quickness tests at the combine will reveal a lot about both, assuming both of them participate.

Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam View Post
    Oher.

Unquestionably the best prospect in this draft: the fact that he doesn't care (according to some) yet still dominates shows just how capable this guy is.
    Except he doesn't consistently dominate. That's one of the reasons he's slipped in the eyes of many this year, because he's been inconsistent. It's not just because people feel he doesn't care. If he didn't care but still blocked everything under the sun, it wouldn't be a problem. But it is, because he wasn't dominant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    i voted Curry...2nd overall may be a little high ,but i dont get into those value charts bull..if he`s the right guy for the team then pick the player...im sure many might not admit it now but did think at the time last year when the Pats drafted Jerod Mayo that he was a reach..i know i did!
    Drafting Curry 2nd overall isn't a conflict with the value chart. It's a conflict with paying a linebacker the kind of money that you dish out at the second overall pick. Typically linebackers are not valued that high, especially middle linebackers since they tend to come off the field in passing packages.

Also, I believe I had Mayo going 16th in my final mock of the year, for what that's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by ramstiles View Post
    I like the idea of signing a top OT in FA like gross if hes available
    I really think that the people who feel that Jordan Gross is a free agent possibility for the Rams need to prepare themselves for disappointment. Maybe it happens and we're all giddy, but I don't think the chances are good at all.

All I'm saying is, if he CAN'T run a 4.5, I would not invest the 2nd pick in the draft on him.
    Just to clarify, are you saying you wouldn't take him unless he runs a 4.5 flat, as in a 4.50? Or unless he breaks into the 4.5 range (meaning anywhere from 4.50 to 4.59)?

punahou is offline Registered User

all Mauluanga does is

hit hard
    blow up blockers
    cover sideline to sideline

has blue collar work ethic

Is just as good as Junior Seau was.

Why is this guy being overlooked?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    all Mauluanga does is....

cover sideline to sideline.

Hit hard? Certainly.
    Blow up blockers? Again, that he's done.

It is his coverage ability that has his stock slipping a little. It's a little too much to ask to invest that amount of money on a player who potentially would only be on the field two downs out of four because he can't defend the pass.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Just to clarify, are you saying you wouldn't take him unless he runs a 4.5 flat, as in a 4.50? Or unless he breaks into the 4.5 range (meaning anywhere from 4.50 to 4.59)?
    Well, to be perfectly clear, I think taking a WR is a bad idea, period. The only way my opinion might change would be if the Rams could somehow clear enough cap room to address other needs through FA. For example, if the Rams could somehow come away with Jordan Gross and Jason Brown, then I could see the logic in considering Crabtree.

Even then, though, I'd be reluctant to spend the second pick in the draft on him if he can't run a 4.50.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

I really think that the people who feel that Jordan Gross is a free agent possibility for the Rams need to prepare themselves for disappointment. Maybe it happens and we're all giddy, but I don't think the chances are good at all.
    I think you are right nick But I meant if we could sign a top FA that would mean we don't need to draft one then maybe crabtree would be great although we urgentley need a top MLB wether through the draft or FA
    Last edited by ramstiles; -01-29-2009 at 10:44 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    I voted other I want to trade down and draft a MLB Round 1 (Maualuga,Laurinaitis, Cushing).
    Rd2 NT Ron Brace / C Mack or Unger
    Rd3 OT Fenuki Tupou

Those are our 4 biggest needs and the best positions for filling those needs with players that have good potential. We have been needing those 4 positions for a long time and its about time we start addressing them.
    Who would you trade with?
    Why would they want the #2 pick?
    What will the other team give up?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    all Mauluanga does is

hit hard
    blow up blockers
    cover sideline to sideline

has blue collar work ethic

Is just as good as Junior Seau was.

Because there are legitimate questions as to whether he's an every-down defender at the next level. And you don't take two-down linebackers with the second overall pick. I don't even have Maualuga in my top ten right now.

Well, to be perfectly clear, I think taking a WR is a bad idea, period. The only way my opinion might change would be if the Rams could somehow clear enough cap room to address other needs through FA. For example, if the Rams could somehow come away with Jordan Gross and Jason Brown, then I could see the logic in considering Crabtree.

Even then, though, I'd be reluctant to spend the second pick in the draft on him if he can't run a 4.50.
    Thanks for the clarification!

Quote Originally Posted by ramstiles View Post
    I think you are right nick But I meant if we could sign a top FA that would mean we don't need to draft one then maybe crabtree would be great although we urgentley need a top MLB wether through the draft or FA
    I agree that signing a top free agent lineman would free up some more options for our pick. I just hope people are being realistic about the chances of it happening. Sadly, when Gross signs elsewhere, I'm anticipating more than a few posts blasting the Rams for not signing him, posts that largely ignore the size of the contract Gross will receive and our less-than-wonderful cap shape. It happens to some extent every year when the Rams miss out on a big free agent name.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I agree that signing a top free agent lineman would free up some more options for our pick. I just hope people are being realistic about the chances of it happening. Sadly, when Gross signs elsewhere, I'm anticipating more than a few posts blasting the Rams for not signing him, posts that largely ignore the size of the contract Gross will receive and our less-than-wonderful cap shape. It happens to some extent every year when the Rams miss out on a big free agent name.
    Yeah if we can't sign a suitable FA OT then we will have to use the #2 pick on the best OT on the board

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Out of those players there are only really 3 players that will have solid NFL careers and will def. not be busts. They are in no particular order Curry, Crabtree, and Jenkins. Out of those guys I believe Crabtree is the can't miss prospect of this draft. He'll fill the seats. catch a few balls and make this team better by giving bulger a weapon that can creat space to have Bulger throw him the ball even though he is covered ala LArry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Out of those players there are only really 3 players that will have solid NFL careers and will def. not be busts.
    Has such a creature ever existed in January?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast