throwback week

View Poll Results: Who's your choice for the Rams' first selection?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Andre Smith, OT, Alabama

6 8.00%
  • Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia

20 26.67%
  • Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

19 25.33%
  • Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia

1 1.33%
  • Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest

14 18.67%
  • B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College

5 6.67%
  • Mark Sanchez, QB, USC

1 1.33%
  • Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State

0 0%
  • Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss

5 6.67%
  • Someone else (who?)

4 5.33%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Who do you want in Round 1 (Late January Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    Out of those players there are only really 3 players that will have solid NFL careers and will def. not be busts. They are in no particular order Curry, Crabtree, and Jenkins. Out of those guys I believe Crabtree is the can't miss prospect of this draft. He'll fill the seats. catch a few balls and make this team better by giving bulger a weapon that can creat space to have Bulger throw him the ball even though he is covered ala LArry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson
    Let's be clear here. Crabtree likely does not have Andre Johnson's physical tools. Johnson is a freak of nature. He's 6'3, 223 and ran a 4.40 coming out of college. He put up sick numbers this year 115 receptions, 1,575 yards, 8 TDs on a team with a pretty average QB and no major threat at the other WR spot.

If Crabtree can run a 4.40, then we'll talk.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

I voted for Monroe but deep down in my heart of hearts I would love to see them go defense with this pick. When I look at this list honestly the name that jumps out at me most besides Monroe is Malcolm Jenkins. I think if we could pair this kid with Bartell, get OJ some help at safety, we may finally have a secondary to be proud of. It will help out with our pass rush too.

I'm suprised nobody has voted for Jenkins. I know we have invested some high picks for CB in recent memory but our secondary is still shaky and I think this kid is going to be a monster.

iStillBelieve Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Let's be clear here. Crabtree likely does not have Andre Johnson's physical tools. Johnson is a freak of nature. He's 6'3, 223 and ran a 4.40 coming out of college. He put up sick numbers this year 115 receptions, 1,575 yards, 8 TDs on a team with a pretty average QB and no major threat at the other WR spot.

Haha you're calling him a freak of nature and still not even giving him as much credit as he deserves, that is how good Andre Johnson is. He is hands down the best receiver in the NFL.

(He ran a 4.32 at the combine)

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by iStillBelieve View Post
    Haha you're calling him a freak of nature and still not even giving him as much credit as he deserves, that is how good Andre Johnson is.
    Let's draft him!

PossumBoy9 Guest

I voted for Michael Crabtree.

I voted under the assumption that Matthew Stafford would go #1 overall to Detroit. He would be my top choice.

Jason Smith, who I think is the best OT, would be my alternate to Crabtree.

Jason Smith > Eugene Monroe

Weddle Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Well said.

This is my problem with Crabtree too. People are saying this and that about him, but he doesn't have the speed (or so it appears) and doesn't have the size that would make him a 'sure thing'. Andre Johnson is a SPECIMEN and Calvin Johnson is MEGATRON. These guys are not comparisons to Crabtree because they are huge physical beomoths and are lightning quick.

I think we can accept Larry Fitzgerald is a comparable guy when you talk physique, but can ANYONE compare to Fitzy!!??

Too many 'sure thing' WRs without the speed to separate and height/bulk to dominate end up being also-rans in the NFL as it is a tougher, faster game than college (obviously!)

jackson3909 is offline Registered User

I would go with raji we need to have a good run defense, we will have a amazing defensive line for years. Smith isnt a bad choice either.

Spyederman Guest

We need help at so many different positions I think every option to trade the pick should be considered. It's been proven time and time again in the draft that you don't have to trade down far and can acquire quite a few extra picks within the first few rounds. If someone offers up something where we don't have to move too far down and can get 2 or 3 extra picks it has to be seriously considered. As long as we draft shrewdly we'll get better faster going this route in my opinion.

soup1981 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spyederman View Post
    We need help at so many different positions I think every option to trade the pick should be considered. It's been proven time and time again in the draft that you don't have to trade down far and can acquire quite a few extra picks within the first few rounds. If someone offers up something where we don't have to move too far down and can get 2 or 3 extra picks it has to be seriously considered. As long as we draft shrewdly we'll get better faster going this route in my opinion.
    Thats the smartest thing I've heard all night. Trade down for malaluega and address OL in other rounds you can find quality OL and DL in later rounds, a talent like rey isn't around every year..

MarshallMarshall Guest

Quote Originally Posted by soup1981 View Post
    Thats the smartest thing I've heard all night. Trade down for malaluega and address OL in other rounds you can find quality OL and DL in later rounds, a talent like rey isn't around every year..
    I don't think trading down will be a option, i would like to see raji or jenkins picked up..

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Sure why wouldn't anyone want to trade down? Of course it means a team has to be willing to trade up and give us a ton to grab the opportunity to pay an unproven kid a ton of money. Trades rarely occur unless a kid is just simply that amazing that they can't pass on him.

Rams will take Curry. He's big, tough, fast with great football instincts and great character. It's just a huge bonus that he plays SLB and would be great at MLB. When the Rams pick up the run stuffing veteran DT in free agency they have talked about for years, they instantly have a better defense against the run. The Rams want size and skill and that's Curry.

Oh and Curry isn't a 2 down player who will come off the field in passing downs. He's Urlacher. He'll shift in the defense on passing downs and stay in the game. One of the reasons he's so great is his pass coverage skills.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -02-02-2009 at 06:42 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Trade back... Rey Maualuga

Spyederman Guest

You're right Rebel Yell, someone has to be willing to trade with us, that's obvious. I just think we have so many areas of need and if a team offers something that makes sense and we get extra picks out of it then why not. I don't think we should move down much (if it happens) because we certainly need an impact player but if we can move down a few spots and pick up a 2nd round pick and maybe something 2 or 3 rounds after that, I think it makes sense. It all depends on if someone behind us thinks a player is worth moving up for and what they are willing to give up for it. We are in the position of power at number 2 so we have to make them pay our price and if another team is willing to do that...If they aren't then I like Curry also. We can find an O lineman later in the draft and the offense will improve significantly just by staying healthy.
    That big run stuffing free agent D lineman the team has talked about picking up for "years" may not be so easy to get after a 2 win season since we don't have him yet. I hope you're right and it does happen though.

richtree is offline Registered User

why would you take a LB in round 1 ... it makes NO sense, and I will tell you why.

1. There are solid guys to take at this spot to sure up OL

2. There are a ton of LB's in free agency this offseason

3. What free ageny LB wouldn't want to play for Spags(i.e.Anontio Pierce)

4. There isn't much of a difference from LB 1 to LB 10 in this years draft (there is no clear LB that is better or worse than the bunch)

5. If we do take LB that leaves us not addressing OL/DL as a top priority

** now you can see that unless Ray Lewis, Lawerence Taylor, or some other super stud is available we go OL espically with the quality of guys available at the positon

go rams (I will be at 2009 Draft)

richtree is offline Registered User

Rey Maualuga this guy is a bum with character issues and came into the senior bowl out of shape and all the coaches hated dealing with him there

After his bad combine numbers you will see him fall out of top 10

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast