Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Greg Robinson

13 41.94%
  • Jake Matthews

18 58.06%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Who does ClanRam Prefer? Robinson or Matthews?

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Re: Who does ClanRam Prefer? Robinson or Matthews?

I'm with Robinson because of his uber-high ceiling and the fact that Bourdreau is coaching him.

Also, I'd like to add that after Long comes back healthy, I could see Robinson sliding inside to guard and absolutely dominating. Whether Saffold comes back or not, he'd be a valuable pick. I believe he can play four positions on the line, at a very high level.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -02-22-2014 at 11:39 PM.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    I'm with Robinson because of his uber-high ceiling and the fact that Bourdreau is coaching him.

Also, I'd like to add that after Long comes back healthy, I could see Robinson sliding inside to guard and absolutely dominating. Whether Saffold comes back or not, he'd be a valuable pick. I believe he can play four positions on the line, at a very high level.
    So Robinson starts out at LT, and then slides into the guard spot? Hmnn .. uber-high ceiling sounds like a synonym for "potential." It would be interesting to hear Boudreaus's opinion of Matthews vs Robinson. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I'm afraid I don't share it. Robinson might turn out to be the best lineman in this draft, but as Ninerhater pointed out, he isn't a "Matthews." Bird in the bush, or bush full of feathers? We simply don't know at this point. If Snead and Fish were to select Robinson over Matthews with both still available when the Rams pick - then fine. For now though, as a fan, I've had a belly full of "potential" and prefer a polished product (at this juncture), over "potential."
    Last edited by MauiRam; -02-23-2014 at 02:00 AM.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    So Robinson starts out at LT, and then slides into the guard spot?
    That's an option. He could always move over to RT too, and maybe even take over to LT in the future. Long is far from a sure thing the past few years. He is a helluva player when healthy, but injuries are quickly piling up unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Hmnn .. uber-high ceiling sounds like a synonym for "potential." It would be interesting to hear Boudreaus's opinion of Matthews vs Robinson. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I'm afraid I don't share it. Robinson might turn out to be the best lineman in this draft, but as Ninerhater pointed out, he isn't a "Matthews." Bird in the bush, or bush full of feathers? We simply don't know at this point. If Snead and Fish were to select Robinson over Matthews with both still available when the Rams pick - then fine. For now though, as a fan, I've had a belly full of "potential" and prefer a polished product (at this juncture), over "potential."
    Trust me, I hear you. We've seen how top draft picks with high potential(Barron and Smith) have really hurt the Rams. However, I'm just not going to let past draft picks sway my decision, especially with a highly touted OL coach the Rams have. I like him more than Matthews. It's not just that I'd always choose potential over other aspects, but in this case, I like Robinson a little more. Robinson is very young and is already a force in the run game. I'm very confident in the combination of his potential and Boudreau's coaching.

punahou is offline Registered User

Jason Robinson? Greg Smith? Oh... Greg Robinson.. ok... good run blocker, below average pass blocker, great combine numbers......
    sound familiar?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Greg Robinson is where I'm at on this one. Not sure I follow the raw label on him. He played in the SEC and went to the championship game in a run based offense. It's not like the guy came from a small school and only played one year. Both would work for us but Robinson would be a better RT while he develops as JL winds down.
    sosa39rams likes this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I share the sentiment of having reservations about taking a raw, unrefined, but supremely athletic tackle again. Yes I know they are different players, but I am also tired of guys with high ceiling/low floor, because they seem to end up much closer to the floor.

Again, I know it's not fair to judge this crop of players on previous players, but I'm just burnt out on these project type players who are athletic but raw. At some point we need football players, not athletes we hope to turn in to football players.

So count my vote for Matthews.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Greg Robinson is where I'm at on this one. Not sure I follow the raw label on him. He played in the SEC and went to the championship game in a run based offense. It's not like the guy came from a small school and only played one year. Both would work for us but Robinson would be a better RT while he develops as JL winds down.
    I think he's considered a great run blocker, which would mean at worst he'd turn into a good guard, but his pass blocking is where people consider him raw and in need of work.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    I think he's considered a great run blocker, which would mean at worst he'd turn into a good guard, but his pass blocking is where people consider him raw and in need of work.
    And are we not going to be a run first team? He did what was asked of him in the scheme so he has the rep that he's a better run blocker not that he can't pass protect. Some experts have said Mathews may be a guard because of his short arms.

Not hearing the word project or raw to describe him.

Mayock said each of the top three tackles -- Michigan's Taylor Lewan, Texas A&M's Jake Matthews and Auburn's Greg Robinson -- is "big, strong, fast, highly athletic." Analyst Brian Billick said "all three fit the term 'franchise tackle.'" And analyst/former NFL lineman Shaun O'Hara said "these three tackles might even be better" than last year's top three -- each of whom went in the top four of the draft (Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel and Lane Johnson).
    "He's saying, 'You know what, I am your top tackle,'" Mayock said of Robinson.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Robinson is a redshirt sophomore with 26 games under his belt. For comparison's sake, Matthews (46), Lewan (50), and Martin (51) all have significant edges in the experience department.

You also have to consider that part of what Robinson is raw in is his pass protection. Only seven teams attempted fewer passes in 2013 than Auburn, and seven teams attempted more passes in 2013 than Auburn has the last two seasons combined.

So not only does Robinson not have a lot of games under his belt, but he also doesn't have a lot of pass pro reps in those games. Can he learn the technique? Sure, but it's something he's going to have to do in the pros, not something he's already refined in, and some people view that as more risk.

I believe Lane Johnson only had 20-some starts under his belt as a prospect last year, and what did the scouting reports say on him? Quoting one: "He has only played on the offensive line for two seasons and is still rough around the edges at times."

Not hearing the word project or raw to describe him.
    Quoting three major sports websites covering the draft...

"Only two years of starting experience and played in a relatively simple collegiate system which catered to his strengths, rarely asking him to pass block on an island."

"Has only played on the offensive line since his junior year in high school (2009)."

"Robinson's relative inexperience (especially in pass protection) appears to be the only thing that could keep him from earning a blue chip grade."

"Could stand to refine his technique in pass protection and do a better job finishing blocks."

"Big, strong, athletic, overpowering left tackle with the raw potential to become a premiere, franchise left tackle. Is only a third-year sophomore and two-year starter and still must improve his hand use, footwork and technique."

"Where he needs to improve is in his consistency, as his lack of long-term experience as an offensive lineman will show up in key areas like footwork and hand use."
    Last edited by Nick; -02-23-2014 at 11:05 AM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Robinson is a redshirt sophomore with 26 games under his belt. For comparison's sake, Matthews (46), Lewan (50), and Martin (51) all have significant edges in the experience department.

You also have to consider that part of what Robinson is raw in is his pass protection. Only seven teams attempted fewer passes in 2013 than Auburn, and seven teams attempted more passes in 2013 than Auburn has the last two seasons combined.

So not only does Robinson not have a lot of games under his belt, but he also doesn't have a lot of pass pro reps in those games. Can he learn the technique? Sure, but it's something he's going to have to do in the pros, not something he's already refined in, and some people view that as more risk.

I believe Lane Johnson only had 20-some starts under his belt as a prospect last year, and what did the scouting reports say on him? Quoting one: "He has only played on the offensive line for two seasons and is still rough around the edges at times."

"Only two years of starting experience and played in a relatively simple collegiate system which catered to his strengths, rarely asking him to pass block on an island."

"Has only played on the offensive line since his junior year in high school (2009)."

"Robinson's relative inexperience (especially in pass protection) appears to be the only thing that could keep him from earning a blue chip grade."

"Could stand to refine his technique in pass protection and do a better job finishing blocks."

"Big, strong, athletic, overpowering left tackle with the raw potential to become a premiere, franchise left tackle. Is only a third-year sophomore and two-year starter and still must improve his hand use, footwork and technique."

"Where he needs to improve is in his consistency, as his lack of long-term experience as an offensive lineman will show up in key areas like footwork and hand use."
    Yeah but it's all a bunch of "so what" at the end of the day. Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher were both drafted ahead of Lane Johnson as he was "raw" "played QB and TE" "athletic but not refined" and yet Lane Johnson out-played both of them by a good amount.

I'll take the guy who was all the natural things that you can't teach. Matthews certainly is a great prospect in his own right but some people have said he may only be a RT (don't really understand that one). Matthews is a good player but Robinson can very easily learn and be taught. It's not like Matthews is fully refined, he's still going to have to develop his game too.

At the end of the day we'd be lucky to have either, but I'll slide with Greg Robinson.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Yeah but it's all a bunch of "so what" at the end of the day.
    ...except in a conversation with someone saying he doesn't understand or hasn't heard Robinson described as raw.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

"Robinson's relative inexperience (especially in pass protection) appears to be the only thing that could keep him from earning a blue chip grade." I just cited three major sources from the combine that just watched him work out and they used the phrase 'franchise tackle.'" This draft opinion states his pass protection would keep him from having a blue chip grade. Someone is wrong here because he's going to be drafted in the top ten for sure. I get he did not pass pro much, I get that but it's not like he is coming from Cal State.

Mayock said each of the top three tackles -- Michigan's Taylor Lewan, Texas A&M's Jake Matthews and Auburn's Greg Robinson -- is "big, strong, fast, highly athletic." Analyst Brian Billick said "all three fit the term 'franchise tackle.'" And analyst/former NFL lineman Shaun O'Hara said "these three tackles might even be better" than last year's top three -- each of whom went in the top four of the draft (Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel and Lane Johnson).
    I know he did not pass pro a lot and there is a concern because he did not do it as often, but after the senior bowl his stock started to rise once the scouts got a good look.

I get the taking the polished guy but we are going to need to run the ball against the big bad NFC West. I will take the bigger man at this point.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

A quote from an NFL scout: "He needs work in pass protection but he can pass protect. You see his punch. And he comes off the ball."
    Rambos likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Jason Robinson? Greg Smith? Oh... Greg Robinson.. ok... good run blocker, below average pass blocker, great combine numbers......
    sound familiar?

I have to admit I (unfairly) keep thinking of this too. I can't hold it against Robinson though.

"Robinson's relative inexperience (especially in pass protection) appears to be the only thing that could keep him from earning a blue chip grade." I just cited three major sources from the combine that just watched him work out and they used the phrase 'franchise tackle.'" This draft opinion states his pass protection would keep him from having a blue chip grade. Someone is wrong here because he's going to be drafted in the top ten for sure. I get he did not pass pro much, I get that but it's not like he is coming from Cal State.

I know he did not pass pro a lot and there is a concern because he did not do it as often, but after the senior bowl his stock started to rise once the scouts got a good look.

I get the taking the polished guy but we are going to need to run the ball against the big bad NFC West. I will take the bigger man at this point.
    You make it sound like I'm arguing against Robinson. I'm not; I said on the first page that I don't think the Rams could go wrong with either guy, that both were Top 5 talents and worthy options for their pick.

I'm simply providing you with information about why he's viewed as raw, especially in pass protection, since you said earlier that you didn't follow why he had that label.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast