Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Greg Robinson

13 41.94%
  • Jake Matthews

18 58.06%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Who does ClanRam Prefer? Robinson or Matthews?

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: Who does ClanRam Prefer? Robinson or Matthews?

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I just cited three major sources from the combine that just watched him work out and they used the phrase 'franchise tackle.'"
    I don't think anyone questions whether his ceiling is a franchise tackle, it obviously is. The question I guess those of us who prefer Matthews is: What is his floor?

It is true we are probably going to be a run-heavy team again next year, and in the short run Robinson would most likely be better for that. The problem I have is, are we going to be looking for a LT in two years again? I feel like with Matthews, it is less likely we would need to start our LT search over again, and Robinson carries a bigger risk that we would. As such, I'd prefer Matthews.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    I have to admit I (unfairly) keep thinking of this too. I can't hold it against Robinson though.
    The way this draft is, I think it the Rams can not lose on OL. They can get 1 of the big 3 and more importantly, they can get a top flight WR like Evans or Watkins.

At this point im all for the Rams trading back a few spots, taking Evans and Lewan.
    Last edited by punahou; -02-23-2014 at 01:22 PM.
    ManofGod and turbofargo like this.

punahou is offline Registered User

Is that what the Rams really want? The NFL is pass-centric, and the the 2013 Rams had discovered they couldn't win with the pass personel they had.

Perhaps Fisher shifted gears because he didn't really have a choice.
    He has an OC that most of us are perplexed with, and he has receivers that either don't separate or drop more passes than average.

He also had Bradford go down, though I still yet am not sold on Sam.....

Anyhow, the run game is the most base basic offenses. And lets face it-- last year the Rams were best suited for that.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You make it sound like I'm arguing against Robinson. I'm not; I said on the first page that I don't think the Rams could go wrong with either guy, that both were Top 5 talents and worthy options for their pick.

I'm simply providing you with information about why he's viewed as raw, especially in pass protection, since you said earlier that you didn't follow why he had that label.
    I know you have said he good. I guess I'm hung up on what the definition of raw is to most fans in general?

In this thread alone words like, potential, unrefined, project, raw where used to describe one of the most dominating OT in SEC. Unless I missed it somewhere and I may have, did he grade out poorly when he was pass blocking or did he just not do enough of it to make people feel he such a risk.

Another point is if he went to the senior bowl and got beat in the drills, that would have came out. He did well enough to improve his stock after the senior bowl. I also would take either but I'm feeling he will develop under one of the best coaches to be both a road grader and solid in pass pro.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Unless I missed it somewhere and I may have, did he grade out poorly when he was pass blocking or did he just not do enough of it to make people feel he such a risk.

Another point is if he went to the senior bowl and got beat in the drills, that would have came out. He did well enough to improve his stock after the senior bowl. I also would take either but I'm feeling he will develop under one of the best coaches to be both a road grader and solid in pass pro.
    Nope. He did not grade poorly. He just hasn't had enough opportunities based on the tape. I have very minimal worries about Robinson's ability to become excellent in pass pro. He is so athletic and can move so well in his abilities as in shuffling and bending properly as well as staying balanced that he should excel. Not to mention he is a massive human being with 35" arms so he can get his punch very very quickly, this usually being the biggest thing for OT's.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    I don't think anyone questions whether his ceiling is a franchise tackle, it obviously is. The question I guess those of us who prefer Matthews is: What is his floor?

It is true we are probably going to be a run-heavy team again next year, and in the short run Robinson would most likely be better for that. The problem I have is, are we going to be looking for a LT in two years again? I feel like with Matthews, it is less likely we would need to start our LT search over again, and Robinson carries a bigger risk that we would. As such, I'd prefer Matthews.
    All good points.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Unless I missed it somewhere and I may have, did he grade out poorly when he was pass blocking or did he just not do enough of it to make people feel he such a risk.
    The issue with Robinson is experience. His biggest issue is that, playing in an Auburn offense that ran the ball 70% or more of the time, he hasn't had the reps to make a lot of headway with his technique in this area.

That's one reason why he's considered raw; not only is he coming out as a redshirt sophomore with only two years of experience in college, but the offense he's coming from didn't lend itself to a lot of pass protecting opportunities. Again, this isn't concerning enough to keep him from being considered a "franchise tackle" or a Top Five prospect, but it is something that's part of the package.

Given the Rams' emphasis on the run game and the presence of Boudreau, I think they're a pretty great fit for him. They'll play to his strengths gameplan-wise, and have a respected coach who can work on those technique issues. That's why, even though I prefer Jake, I'd be very happy with Robinson as well.

Another point is if he went to the senior bowl and got beat in the drills, that would have came out. He did well enough to improve his stock after the senior bowl.
    He's a redshirt sophomore; he didn't go to the Senior Bowl.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-23-2014 at 02:31 PM.

He's a redshirt sophomore; he didn't go to the Senior Bowl.
    I stand corrected sir.

vanillasue is offline Registered User

Both look good to me - I will defer to the scouts and coaches on which one is better. My only question will be, "Which one do you think will be a dominate starting tackle for 10 years if we draft him ?"

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

OT A: 6'5, 309 lbs, 33 3/4" arms, 5.09 40, 24" VJ, 8' BJ

OT B: 6'5, 332 lbs, 35" arms, 4.92(4.84u) 40, 27.5" VJ, 9'6" BJ

OT A being Jason Smith and OT B being Greg Robinson. Nowhere near the same athleticism and raw potential as Robinson.

THE DREAM TEAM

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    Prefer Matthews. Don't have to worry if he will learn how to be a good pass protector or not. Is not raw. He is ready day one to step into any position on the line basically.
    I could not agree more. We were in this very same position a few years ago and we made the mistake of going with the "genetic freak" with the "high ceiling", and it backfired. At this point in time we need to go with the more proven product; a guy we can plug in and play from day one.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram
    Prefer Matthews. Don't have to worry if he will learn how to be a good pass protector or not. Is not raw. He is ready day one to step into any position on the line basically.
    This is one of the few reasons why Matthews gets my vote, albeit a slight edge over Robinson.

svh01 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    In a dream scenario:

1 - Texans take Blake Bortles
    2 - Trade down to #4, CLE takes Manziel
    3 - JAX takes Clowney/Bridgewater
    4 - We acquire an extra pick or two from CLE and we still land Matthews and or Robinson
    I would add JAX takes Bridgewater, we trade down AGAIN with ATL to pick an extra 2nd rounder and they take Clowney at 4. (In this we get Cleveland's extra 1st and 3rd and ATL 2nd and 4th!)
    turbofargo likes this.

Randart is offline Registered User

I voted for Matthews but like both guys, now having said this I am getting a bit of a crush on Lewan and love the connection he has with our own big Jake. My latest dream round one is Lewan & Evans I don't care how we do this just make it so Rams! I really like both of these guys so talented and thoughtful dedicated and on target for great starts in the NFL or so it seems to me. I hope of course to land some extra picks in the process, but would be giddy to have this scenario play out. Will be fun to track these guys at OT for the future to see who makes the pro bowls and sets the tone for his team as winners in the future!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I prefer Lewan. IMO he has the highest floor of any OT in the draft and is a stud.
    He has no real connection to Jake Long other than they played at the same school.

JMO, at #2 the Rams have 2 choices. Clowney or Watkins. OT is in the 2-4% range of possibilities. WAY too much depth at the position to draft one at #2.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast