39thebeast is offline Registered User

Who need the combine beast 3.1

Free Agency(Uncapped Year)

O.J. Otogwe, FS, Rams- Great Playmakers are hard to find you have to keep them when you have one

Ben Watson, TE, Patriots- Hands are iffy at times, but when he does hold on he is a playmaker. He wasn't really used in the pats system, but we could really use him here.

Lito Sheppard, CB, Jets- With a huge Bonus coming Sheppard will be released. He isn't the player he was when Spags was coaching, but he will get a shot here. He will step in until Fletcher is good to go then he will move to the nickel.

Chad Pennington, QB, Dolphins- Cheaper version of Bulger.

Antwan Barnes, OLB, Ravens(RFA)- Ravens are deep at LB, and at times weren't high on Barnes, so they'll let him go. Barnes is hard hitter and good pass rusher and would be a good fit at SLB.

Zach Strief, OT, Saints
    (RFA)-
    There RT Stinchcomb is signed long term. They will focus on retaining Bushrod and Jamal Brown their 2 options at LT. Strief is a massive Tackle and could come in to compete with Grecco, Settersttom, and Goldberg for the 2 spots on the right side
    DRAFT
    1. Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma

This picks could still be Jimmy Claussen, but IMO Bradford and Clausen are really close right now so i'll switch it up. Bradford is accurate and extremely intelligent. he has the height and leadership qualities you look for in a good QB. He hasn't faced alot of adversity, but where he can really make headway is in the interview room.

2. Brandon Lafell, WR, LSU

6'3 'Big physical receiver with good hands. He isn't the fastest guy but he is physical, a good route runner, and has great body control. He doesn't have the upside of Arrelious Benn or Demaryius Thomas, but he has the same physical style and he is much more polished as a receiver. His greatest strength is his redzone ability where he uses his length and body control to win battles in the endzone.

3. Lamar Houston, DT, Texas

DT is this Drafts deepest position. Houston is a legit second round prospect, but the deep draft pushes him. Houston specializes in penetration and sacking the QB one of the weakness of our current DTs. Spags will use his rotation to the fullest extent to maximize the talents of all our young DTs.

4. AJ Edds, OLB, Iowa

One of the best cover backers in the draft. All areas of his game are polished and he is the physical heavy hitter spags likes in his LBs. He is ready to start instantly at WLB especially on this team.

5. Lindsey Witten, DE, UCONN

Witten is a pure pass rusher who needs to polish the rest of his game, but he has a ton of upside. He will start of as a situational pass rusher and will have time to learn behind Hall. Spags doesn't need all stars he needs a good rotation of versatile linemen.

5. Joique Bell, RB, Wayne State

Versatile RB can do a little of everything. He reminds me of Derrick Ward. He and Ogbonaya will backup S-Jax.

6. Chris Cook, CB, Virginia

Big physical corner 6-2 210, he could be developed into a good press corner. He will be a special teamer and could work his way into the dime back job.

7. Marshall Newhouse, OL, TCU

Can Play every position on the O-Line. Depth that we need on the O-line

7. Clifton Geathers, DE, South Carolina

6-7 281 with a quick first step. His size and upside give him the ability to play LE and DT. Spags likes versatile lineman and Geathers is just a

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Re: Who need the combine beast 3.1

Honestly, i love this draft. Im really with getting Suh, but seems to me that you filled almost all of our voids. I think if we want Bradford we could trade down and get some more picks. I am still with taking Suh first though, he has just caught my eye.

TakeSuh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Honestly, i love this draft. Im really with getting Suh, but seems to me that you filled almost all of our voids. I think if we want Bradford we could trade down and get some more picks. I am still with taking Suh first though, he has just caught my eye.
    ya suh is just hands down the better player
    I mean when have you heard of a lineman that has lead his team in tackles sacks tackles for loss, blocked kicks, and multiple other stats for two years straight? Suh is just a beast.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-03-2010 at 02:33 PM. Reason: No links, read the rules please

Warner4prez Guest

Hmm, I can't lie, you actually assessed all of our needs quite nicely. I don't know about taking another WR would be my only real gripe (plus like sosa said I hope we can snag a few picks and trade down a few spots for Bradford). We've got 5 or 6 guys with little to no experience at WR already, why not give them some time to develope? A top TE will do a lot in aiding them.

Other than that, let's get Arthur Jones at #3 and we're sitting nicely. Haha, but seriously I think it's pretty good.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

To be honest, while I appreciate the effort, I'm not sure I'm crazy about this one.

In free agency, I like Atogwe and Watson. But after that it kind of cools off for me. I'm kind of middle of the road on Pennington, but I really question whether guys like Sheppard, Barnes, and Strief are going to contribute that much as starters. Sadly, they may be some of our best options in a watered down free agency.

As for the draft, I've yet to see a compelling case for the Rams taking a QB first overall but I don't want to turn this thread into another debate on that topic. Let me just say that if the Rams identify DT as a position in need of an upgrade, particularly in the first three rounds, then I think the most logical thing to do would be the take the best prospect out of a great crop of prospects in Suh. But again, don't want to derail things here.

LaFell in the second is solid; Houston in the third is okay though I'm a bit concerned that he had a pretty quiet week at the Senior Bowl. Edds is nice in the fourth but I think you could play him on the strong side as well. The rest look like solid depth, though I doubt Cook is there in the sixth.

If you consider what the Rams come out of this mock with, you've addressed many of the key need areas - QB of the future, more talent at WR and TE, depth in the backfield, depth on both lines and in the secondary, one if not two potential starters at OLB. I'm just not really crazy about the direction.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    To be honest, while I appreciate the effort, I'm not sure I'm crazy about this one.

In free agency, I like Atogwe and Watson. But after that it kind of cools off for me. I'm kind of middle of the road on Pennington, but I really question whether guys like Sheppard, Barnes, and Strief are going to contribute that much as starters. Sadly, they may be some of our best options in a watered down free agency.

As for the draft, I've yet to see a compelling case for the Rams taking a QB first overall but I don't want to turn this thread into another debate on that topic. Let me just say that if the Rams identify DT as a position in need of an upgrade, particularly in the first three rounds, then I think the most logical thing to do would be the take the best prospect out of a great crop of prospects in Suh. But again, don't want to derail things here.

LaFell in the second is solid; Houston in the third is okay though I'm a bit concerned that he had a pretty quiet week at the Senior Bowl. Edds is nice in the fourth but I think you could play him on the strong side as well. The rest look like solid depth, though I doubt Cook is there in the sixth.

If you consider what the Rams come out of this mock with, you've addressed many of the key need areas - QB of the future, more talent at WR and TE, depth in the backfield, depth on both lines and in the secondary, one if not two potential starters at OLB. I'm just not really crazy about the direction.
    Just a fresh take at this point I expect the Rams to take Suh, but I just think the QBs have a chance to rise to the top and at the same time they might not and I'll be more than happy with Suh.

Houston was a great player all year round he is a good pass rushing DT and a penetrator, I think sometimes we put to much stock into the senior.

Lets face it people this year is going to be uncapped and we aren't going to get the type of FAs we want.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Just a fresh take at this point I expect the Rams to take Suh, but I just think the QBs have a chance to rise to the top and at the same time they might not and I'll be more than happy with Suh.
    I agree that a QB could rise up boards during this process, but since neither the #2 or #3 team will be in the market, doesn't it make all the sense in the world to trade down? Unless Tampa offers us absolutely nothing, I'm just not sure how a QB first overall makes sense when you can get the same guy and an additional pick(s) two spots later.

I guess my point isn't so much that I wouldn't like getting either Bradford or Clausen. I think they're both talented players. I just think the situation dictates a trade down if those are the two guys you want. If the Rams take one first overall, they'll have added a fine young QB... but they'll have probably missed at a chance to get another pick(s) in the process.

Houston was a great player all year round he is a good pass rushing DT and a penetrator, I think sometimes we put to much stock into the senior.
    Houston is a fine mid-round prospect. But only one of his six sacks this season came against a ranked opponent (Alabama in the NC game). Of his 16.5 tackles for loss, only 2.5 came against ranked opponents (0.5 vs. Texas Tech, 2 vs. Alabama). Then he comes to the Senior Bowl, supposedly the best of the best seniors, and kind of disappears. All I'm saying is that it's a bit concerning.

Lets face it people this year is going to be uncapped and we aren't going to get the type of FAs we want.
    Yep, hence my saying these guys may be some of our best options in a watered down free agency.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I agree that a QB could rise up boards during this process, but since neither the #2 or #3 team will be in the market, doesn't it make all the sense in the world to trade down? Unless Tampa offers us absolutely nothing, I'm just not sure how a QB first overall makes sense when you can get the same guy and an additional pick(s) two spots later.
    I don't see Tampa giving up one of their seconds, especially in this extremely limited FA pool. I think we would do it for a second I just don't see Tampa giving it up as well as paying the extra cash. The problem is when was the last time you saw a trade down in the top 5 for for just a 3rd round pick? It would be nice, but I think that's a tough sell.

Warner4prez Guest

I don't see Tampa giving up one of their seconds, especially in this extremely limited FA pool. I think we would do it for a second I just don't see Tampa giving it up as well as paying the extra cash. The problem is when was the last time you saw a trade down in the top 5 for for just a 3rd round pick? It would be nice, but I think that's a tough sell.
    I was thinking about this earlier. In the onset of the draft craze, I figured why not trade down and make the Buc's bend over backwards to get Suh. Then I thought they might be hesitant to give up that much for one player. Now I'm thinking that even if the cap is gone next year, it'll ONLY be gone for next year.

Teams looking to shed some cap space might not be all to opposed to giving up some extra picks and maybe sparing themselves a few more signings in an effort to assure that they don't find themselves in over their heads' at the beginning of 2011.

So now I maintain, if anyone wants Suh, we rake them over the coals for the rights to the best player in the draft.

DistantRam Guest

Love the draft but I think that LaFell will go in the first round and Edds in the third. I'm not sold on Watson, either: I'd prefer Tony Scheffler.