Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Who are the Rams competing with for the top QBs?

Imagine that... the Rams might not end up with the first pick in the draft after all.

Of the teams likely to be among the top 10 picks in the draft, which are likely to take a QB?

Tampa (0-7): HIGHLY UNLIKELY
    The Bucs selected Josh Freeman in the first round this year, and have recently named him the starting QB. I can't imagine that they will consider taking another QB in 2010.

Cleveland (1-7): POSSIBLE
    Derrick Anderson's time seems to be ending, but that does not necessarily mark the start of the Brady Quinn era. Quinn has had his chances, but has failed to take hold of the starting spot. It would be an admission of failure in drafting Quinn, but the Browns could nonetheless consider a QB in the 2010 draft.

Kansas City (1-6): NO CHANCE
    They just overpaid for a young QB (Cassel), both in trade compensation and in signing him to a big contract. It would make no sense for them to slect a QB with so many other needs.

Detroit (1-6): NO CHANCE
    Two words: Matthew Stafford. Look for the Lions to target a RB or DT with their first pick.

Tennessee (1-6): HIGHLY UNLIKELY
    Now that Vince Young is back in the starting lineup, the Titans appear to be out of the QB market. If, however, Young tanks and, even worse, has another meltdown, there is an outside chance they might cut their losses and start over.

Oakland (2-6): POSSIBLE
    This will be a tough call for the Raiders. They recently spent a #1 overall pick on Russell, but he has been, in a word, awful. If he shows any promise in the second half of the season, I'd say they'll look elsewhere in the draft. Othewise, they'd have to consider taking a new QB.

Washington (2-5): IN THE MARKET
    I think the Jason Campbell era is in its last days. The Redskins, having failed to land Jay Cutler in a trade, will almost certainly consider taking a QB in Round 1. While I hate any defeat, the Rams' loss to the Skins could ultimately prove to be a blessing in disguise in terms of draft slotting.

Seattle (2-5): IN THE MARKET
    As great as Aaron Curry's potential is, the Hawks missed the boat in failing to consider taking a QB-of-the-future or a LT-of-the-future in the 2009 draft. One of those two positions will be their first round target in 2010.

Buffalo (3-5): POSSIBLE
    Trent Edwards is a young QB with some upside, but I don't know that he is irreplaceable. The Bills have a lot of holes, so they may decide its better to continue to develop Edwards and improve his supporting cast. Still, you can't say that there's no chance that they'd pull the trigger if the right QB was available.

Others: Teams who might look to trade up.

Jacksonville - I don't know that they are sold on Garrard as their long-term solution at QB.

Minnesota - If its "one and done" for Favre, they could be back in the market for a QB.

Carolina - Delhomme is definitely on his last legs.

San Francisco - Smith is receiving his last chance. If he fails...

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Who are the Rams competing with for the top QBs?

I would take Cleveland out of the running. I don't think they've had enough time with Quinn to warrant going in another, expensive direction just yet. Their whole team is bad right now, not just one position. They need a RB or O-line, or any position on defense first.

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    I would take Cleveland out of the running. I don't think they've had enough time with Quinn to warrant going in another, expensive direction just yet. Their whole team is bad right now, not just one position. They need a RB or O-line, or any position on defense first.
    It will be interesting to see if they just go with Quinn for the rest of the year and let him take his lumps. If he does not show real promise, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that they trade him and take a QB.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Unless Young makes a major showing, I wouldn't mark them as Highly Unlikely. He's on his final chance to prove something and while he did really well this week (let's hope that continues), I wouldn't rule them out if he falls apart again. It would cost them $8 million to cut him but what would it cost to keep him? (I don't know but I'm guessing a pretty similar number.) I'd mark them as Possible. Since Fisher was basically forced to go with Young over Collins, it tells me this week was a fluke and he won't keep his job. BUT with the job they did playing Collins, they could go with a veteran QB just as easily. They could trade a 5th rounder and hope Brady Quinn can be turned into Collins.

Quinn would be a small cap hit. His initial guarantee was less than $8 million. They could take the hit and move on if they felt it necessary and Quinn reportedly keeps being shopped. I don't know their other needs.

I don't think Oakland can take the cap hit. Russell would be a $15 million cap hit to cut him. I don't see that as possible for a team to do. Can you draft his replacement in the first round? Not likely. Also they are in a lawsuit with their last coach aren't they? How do they argue that he didn't like the star QB so he had to be fired and then a year later you cut that star QB? Still, they are a wildcard.

I'm doubtful the Rams win more than 3 games. So with that, I'd say it's between Cleveland, Seattle, Tennessee and Washington. If Washington gets the chance, no doubt they take a QB. Washington will even be a likely candidate to trade up above the Rams. I think Seattle will go with a later round QB (just a guess) to develop. Edit: they could go with a guy like Pike in the 3rd round and have him develop while Hasselbeck ends his career.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -11-02-2009 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    I think Seattle will go with a later round QB (just a guess) to develop. Edit: they could go with a guy like Pike in the 3rd round and have him develop while Hasselbeck ends his career.
    With Walter Jones pretty much done, I'd tend to agree with you, as they could be the team most likely to take the top OT in the draft in Round 1. I'd say they'd take a QB in Round 2, though, rather than waiting until Round 3.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    With Walter Jones pretty much done, I'd tend to agree with you, as they could be the team most likely to take the top OT in the draft in Round 1. I'd say they'd take a QB in Round 2, though, rather than waiting until Round 3.
    Agreed. I think they pretty much have to take an OT after passing on Monroe and Andre Smith this year, and Walter being down for the count.

It will be interesting to see if they just go with Quinn for the rest of the year and let him take his lumps. If he does not show real promise, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that they trade him and take a QB.

Now that I think about it, there was some speculation as to the Browns going after Sanchez last year, however real that may have been. But I think after this year, and especially with the Browns owner's recent comments of "being sick" with the results so far, Mangini is going to be drafting to turn the team around right away to save his job, so I think he'll shy away from drafting a developmental qb.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I think the one team that could really shake up the top 10 is Jacksonville. I think that depending on how the teams fall, Jacksonville could get paranoid about Tim Tebow, I really feel like Jacksonville will do anything to get him in a jags uniform, not because he is great but because he will fill seats. And right about now, that is what they are looking for. That could be a nice advantage for us, if we are willing to move back and pick up some picks along the way.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

If some of those teams mentioned decide not to go QB with their first round draft, it would be interesting, because a lot of the QB's would fall. That would mean there would be more supply than there would be demand.

Clausen
    Locker
    McCoy
    Bradford
    Tebow
    Locker

Interesting...

May as well throw Cleveland back into the mix, since they just fired their GM. Who even knows what will happen with their team now...

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=AvengerRam;315058]..............

Tennessee (1-6): HIGHLY UNLIKELY
    Now that Vince Young is back in the starting lineup, the Titans appear to be out of the QB market. If, however, Young tanks and, even worse, has another meltdown, there is an outside chance they might cut their losses and start over.

Oakland (2-6): POSSIBLE
    This will be a tough call for the Raiders. They recently spent a #1 overall pick on Russell, but he has been, in a word, awful. If he shows any promise in the second half of the season, I'd say they'll look elsewhere in the draft. Othewise, they'd have to consider taking a new QB.

Seattle (2-5): IN THE MARKET
    As great as Aaron Curry's potential is, the Hawks missed the boat in failing to consider taking a QB-of-the-future or a LT-of-the-future in the 2009 draft. One of those two positions will be their first round target in 2010.

Carolina - Delhomme is definitely on his last legs.
    [QUOTE]

Gotta disagree with several of your assessments.

Tenn - Young is starting because Collins has gotten old so quickly. If Collins were servicable, Young wouldn't be seeing the field. Oh, the Titans are losing. I see them as a primary for pursuing a QB. Probably more so than any team listed.

OAK - I can't see this team continuing with "I got mine" Russell. They have some young players to build around and they have arguably the worst QB in recent history running that offense. Russell not only doesn't have a clue, he can't spell 'clue'. Unless there is a punter in the draft that runs a 4.3 (for Al to slobber over), I have to think getting another QB is a high priority for this sad sack of a team, and early at that. Maybe they can move Russel to OG.

SEA - This too is a truly real possibility for competition in the QB derby. Some think that they have to go OT. I totally disagree. History, at least the past decade, dictates that they will sign Barron away from us, and he will be servicable for them for years. These dweebs pirated our roster for many good players, for many years. They'll figure this thing out and free themselves for grabbing a QB early in this coming draft. Regardless, they may just try to sign one we draft just for the hell of it <sarcasm>.

CAR - I'd move this team up the list. They're not on they're last leg, it's they're last prostetic. They have a core of offensive players being wasted there. The only way I see them not grabbing a QB early is if the Rams cut Bulger at the end of the year and he lands in Carolina, (and yes, that was a prediction). He'll go on to have at least two more probowl appearances if he does.

Other than that, your dead on Avenger! :-)
    Last edited by Richbert88; -11-03-2009 at 03:56 PM.
    Semper Fi!

FYI - the teams are listed in their current draft order, not in order of who needs a QB the most.

Sorry, didn't get that from the original post.

"Of the teams likely to be among the top 10 picks in the draft, which are likely to take a QB?"

I made an assumption, so you know what that made me. On that however, I'd like to see someone with your knowledge and insights do a 'ranking' of the likely competitors for a QB in this coming draft. At least thru the first couple rounds. I think this pursuit will extend in those first three rounds and won't be limitted to the top of round one. And, who are you personally leaning towards? Does it have to be a top of the ranking guy?

Comon', engage me.
    Semper Fi!

Right now, I'd say the teams most likely to spend a high draft choice on a QB (other than the Rams) are: (1) Washington, (2) Carolina, (3) Seattle, (4) Jacksonville and (5) San Francisco/Cleveland (tie). The Rams might end up picking before all of those teams, but if a team that would not take a QB (i.e. Detroit, Kansas City, Tampa) finishes below the Rams, then the Rams will have to worry about another team trading up to get the first QB in the draft.

As of now, I go back and forth between Clausen and Locker. I was previously in Bradford's corner, but I am obviously worried about his injury.

I will say this, though... if I was certain that the Rams could wait until their second pick in the draft and still get McCoy or (assuming he is healthy) Pike, I might consider passing on a QB in Round 1 and going with a DT (Gerald McCoy, Ndamukong Suh) or a playmaker (Dez Bryant, C.J. Spiller) in Round 1.

Right now, I'd say the teams most likely to spend a high draft choice on a QB (other than the Rams) are: (1) Washington, (2) Carolina, (3) Seattle, (4) Jacksonville and (5) San Francisco/Cleveland (tie). The Rams might end up picking before all of those teams, but if a team that would not take a QB (i.e. Detroit, Kansas City, Tampa) finishes below the Rams, then the Rams will have to worry about another team trading up to get the first QB in the draft.

As of now, I go back and forth between Clausen and Locker. I was previously in Bradford's corner, but I am obviously worried about his injury.

I will say this, though... if I was certain that the Rams could wait until their second pick in the draft and still get McCoy or (assuming he is healthy) Pike, I might consider passing on a QB in Round 1 and going with a DT (Gerald McCoy, Ndamukong Suh) or a playmaker (Dez Bryant, C.J. Spiller) in Round 1.

That is a pretty sound summary, and how I see it at this point in the season. As ussual, your insightful, though I am a bit worried for you, due my agreement.
    Semper Fi!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast