Jackson39 is offline Registered User

Who Is Really The Safest Pick?

With so many pressing needs for our Rams, Billy D is looking at a range of players for the #2 Pick. In Your opionion, who is the safest pick?

Things to consider:
    Mark Sanchez - Only started 1 year, is he really NFL ready?

Aaron Curry - Heck of a 'backer, BUT, can he really play inside? Wouldn't be just like Willy Witherspoon all over again?

"Baylor Boy" - Jason Smith - Great run blocker BUT has stance issues.

Eugene Monroe - Great pass blocker BUT scouts say he doesn't finish his blocks (which i don't really believe - and it can be fixed too) and "not aggresive enough" - again according to scouts.

Feel free to discuss other players...

Just some things to consider going into draft day

Thanks for reading
    SJAX39

eldfan is offline Registered User

Re: Who Is Really The Safest Pick?

I would think it would be the position that is the easiest to transition for college to pro. RB is the easiest to transition but that is not on the post, so I would say LB would be the next. Curry seems like a can't miss player.
    :ramlogo:

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

out of the top prospects Curry is the safest pick.. many of the people who want us to draft one of the OT`s will accept that "fact"..

there are other players later on in the draft who possibly are as safe a pick as him...off the top of my head,id say prospects like Evander "Ziggy" Hood,Brian Robiskie,Jeremy Maclin,Alex Mack,Clint Sintim,Kraig Urbik...
    but out of the top 10 prospects he is the safest by some way...the next safest pick after Curry on that list id say is Eugene Monroe.

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

I think all 4 players listed are relatively safe (Sanchez if given the time).

I don't think you can go wrong on that list.
    But I guess if I had to throw them into some sort of 'order': Curry, Monroe, Smith, Sanchez

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'd say Monroe is probably the safest. He was a top ranked offensive lineman coming out of high school, went to a school with a good reputation for producing NFL calibur players at his postion, and there are no major complaints about his hand technique, footwork, build, agility, or character.

Curry would probably be next on my list. I think it's a little more likely he'll be one of the top players in the league at his position, but there's a slightly higher level of risk because his ability to blitz is a relative unknown and he might move to the middle. I still think he's one of the safest bets, but there's just that little bit of uncertainty.

Jackson39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I'd say Monroe is probably the safest. He was a top ranked offensive lineman coming out of high school, went to a school with a good reputation for producing NFL calibur players at his postion, and there are no major complaints about his hand technique, footwork, build, agility, or character.

Curry would probably be next on my list. I think it's a little more likely he'll be one of the top players in the league at his position, but there's a slightly higher level of risk because his ability to blitz is a relative unknown and he might move to the middle. I still think he's one of the safest bets, but there's just that little bit of uncertainty.
    Yeah, i would have to say so too (Monroe). Billy D. said they are completely fine with his knee issues. Thats what I feel with Curry too, he is great outside backer, I just feel that it is the same story as Witherspoon as he was originally outside and is now playing MLB. I feel the James Laurenitis is a true MLB or even Jasper Brinkley in later rounds. I would love any of those guys on our team

SJAX39

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

I'm not sure you can compare Witherspoon's transition to the middle with Curry's. Curry is 6'2, 254 and ran a 4.56. Big, fast, strong, and hits like a beast. Witherspoon is a the same height, but is listed at 240. He ran 4.7 at the combine, but that was 8 years ago...Witherspoon is out of position there, whereas Curry would fit the mold of a prototypical MLB better.