Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Who is still not convinced it was worth it ?

  1. #1
    vanillasue is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    213
    Rep Power
    2

    Who is still not convinced it was worth it ?

    Just looking over last years draft and many of us did not want to trade up for Austin.

    Really looking at it we could have had ....
    Ogletree (who we all wanted)
    Patterson or Hopkins (who many of us wanted instead of Austin)
    And we would have got two additional 2 second rounders
    Kiko Alonzo ILB that Bills got or Jamie Collins OLB that NE got
    Le'veon Bell RB to fit the running game Fisher so desperately wants. Even Eddie Lacy would have been great.

    I still say we screwed up big time trading up.


  2. #2
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,318
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Who is still not convinced it was worth it ?

    Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue View Post
    Just looking over last years draft and many of us did not want to trade up for Austin.

    Really looking at it we could have had ....
    Ogletree (who we all wanted)
    Patterson or Hopkins (who many of us wanted instead of Austin)
    And we would have got two additional 2 second rounders
    Kiko Alonzo ILB that Bills got or Jamie Collins OLB that NE got
    Le'veon Bell RB to fit the running game Fisher so desperately wants. Even Eddie Lacy would have been great.

    I still say we screwed up big time trading up.
    Way too early to say that the players you wanted ate better then the ones we got.

    Really looking at it we could have had ....
    Ogletree (who we all wanted) last time i check we got him.

    Patterson or Hopkins (who many of us wanted instead of Austin) thats true but are they clearly better then Tavon?

    And we would have got two additional 2 second rounders.. we had two thirds and some feel Bailey could have been a second rounder.

    e'veon Bell RB to fit the running game Fisher so desperately wants. Even Eddie Lacy would have been great. Again Stacy had a great year and did it in only 12 games. Looks like Fisher got his guy.

    Not sure how we get Tree and Lacy.


    I still say we screwed up big time trading up. Only time will tell but in the now I say you are reaching here.

    Ok Lacy went in the second but still, don't think he's that much better then Stacy so far.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-27-2014 at 08:15 PM.

  3. #3
    vanillasue is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    213
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Who is still not convinced it was worth it ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Way too early to say that the players you wanted ate better then the ones we got.

    Really looking at it we could have had ....
    Ogletree (who we all wanted) last time i check we got him.

    Patterson or Hopkins (who many of us wanted instead of Austin) thats true but are they clearly better then Tavon?

    And we would have got two additional 2 second rounders.. we had two thirds and some feel Bailey could have been a second rounder.

    e'veon Bell RB to fit the running game Fisher so desperately wants. Even Eddie Lacy would have been great. Again Stacy had a great year and did it in only 12 games. Looks like Fisher got his guy.

    Not sure how we get Tree and Lacy.


    I still say we screwed up big time trading up. Only time will tell but in the now I say you are reaching here.

    Ok Lacy went in the second but still, don't think he's that much better then Stacy so far.
    Trading back and getting Patterson or Hopkins nets us all 4 of those players - understand Ogletree was already had - plus you have to add in the rest of the draft from the 3rd round on. sorry that wasn't clear - We basically lost two second rounders is what I am saying. Could have even gone with a CB there if that was what we wanted. Fisher is dead set on the running game so I really wonder why we did what we did.

  4. #4
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,816
    Rep Power
    168

    Re: Who is still not convinced it was worth it ?

    Let's break this down...

    If we had simply stayed at #16 and traded back from #22, we probably would have ended up with Hopkins (who, according to reports, the Rams liked better than Patterson) and Ogletree (assume we still trade back and pick up an extra No. 3 and No. 6).

    I don't know where you are getting two additional second rounders. We would have kept our own 2nd round pick (#46), and probably would have selected Larry Warford (who, according to reports, was the next guy on our board after Ogletree).

    We would not have ended up with Bell or Lacy, who were gone by the time the Rams made their next pick in Round 3.

    So, the difference, in the end, would be Hopkins and Warford instead of Austin.

    After one year, most would say that Hopkins and Warford combined are more valuable than Austin.

    That may not change, but I will say this... if Austin can consistently make the kind of big plays he made in the middle of his rookie year, he will be a more valuable player than Hopkins (who, at this point, is a good No. 2 WR).

    The addition of Warford, who had a great rookie year, would have been nice, but missing on him is more than balanced on the "home run" of selecting Zac Stacy in Round 5, so I'm not going to criticize Snead and Co. for that one.

    I stated before the draft that I didn't think we should trade up for Austin but, in the end, I understand why the Rams did what they did, and I'm not going to second guess them at this point.
    Warner Pride and lostsoul like this.

  5. #5
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,318
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Who is still not convinced it was worth it ?

    I don't think The Rams trade back and draft Tree at 30 and get Bailey if the stayed and took Patterson or Hopkins. I think they draft him at 22. Bailey is the x factor here IMO. If he starts next year day one he could put up numbers equal to Hopkins and we also have Tavon.

  6. #6
    DE_Ramfan's Avatar
    DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
    Posts
    967
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Who is still not convinced it was worth it ?

    The whole woulda-shoulda-coulda argument breaks down because you're assuming that the rest of the draft is static despite opting to change one variable. If we change things so that the Rams still have their second round pick then you have to be open to the possibility that any number of trades could or couldn't have happened and the whole draft changes (such as a team trading ahead of the Rams to get Lacy or Bell). There's no guarantee that we end up with the players you suggest we would have.

  7. #7
    mde8352gorams's Avatar
    mde8352gorams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,752
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Who is still not convinced it was worth it ?

    I didn't want Hopkins or Patterson. I wanted Keenan Allen or Robert Woods. You van make arguments for or against either of them. But we have Austin and I think he will make us happy to be Ram fans after he becomes the weapon he is projected to be. If you're looking back I'm most angry that we missed out on Eric Reid, particularly since the **** got him.

    Go Rams!
    citr92 likes this.

  8. #8
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,137
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Who is still not convinced it was worth it ?

    I think its a 2 year plan....guys like me that were in love with Keenan Allen realize that the Rams had the youngest roster in NFL and the Rams were smartly planning for 3 years. This is the big year for us to fill in the gaps in the off-season.

    Also, Bradford's injury is the perfect opportunity to get him to restructure his contract for longer and spread out the salary cap.

    Quinn and Olgreetree are here for the long haul and it will be great if we can piece it together this off-season

  9. #9
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,669
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Who is still not convinced it was worth it ?

    I was probably the biggest advocate for Austin and was ecstatic when we traded up for him then, and nothing has changed to this point.

    Tavon is still the most dynamic and electrifying playmaker in the 2013 draft IMO, in spite of the exploits of Cordarrelle Patterson late in the season.

    Had Schottenheimer used him correctly from the start and Bradford and he himself not gotten hurt, not to mention all the yardage he lost due to penalties, this thread would likely not exist.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -01-28-2014 at 08:54 PM.

  10. #10
    RosieJones's Avatar
    RosieJones is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    138
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Who is still not convinced it was worth it ?

    Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I think its a 2 year plan....guys like me that were in love with Keenan Allen realize that the Rams had the youngest roster in NFL and the Rams were smartly planning for 3 years. This is the big year for us to fill in the gaps in the off-season.

    Also, Bradford's injury is the perfect opportunity to get him to restructure his contract for longer and spread out the salary cap.

    Quinn and Olgreetree are here for the long haul and it will be great if we can piece it together this off-season
    Correct me if I'm wrong (maybe I misread), but hasn't Bradford's agent already come out and said that he isn't willing to restructure?

  11. #11
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,137
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Who is still not convinced it was worth it ?

    I think there weresome strong reasons not to trade up for Austin.

    Fisher and Schotty are very convential and "Pro Style" in their offensive schemes. Now Fisher is not shy about a trick play or taking some chances, but Austin is a unique piece that must be committed to in the play book and used from multiple positions. It was obvious that they needed some time to adapt to Austin's abilities and "learn" along with him. This took a season to grow. With Bradford out, I think Austin clearly developed but the future of his success depends on play calling specifically for his needs. This year the Rams have to show the commitment to use him and adapt their "old school" scheme (for lack of better words) to the new school of the NFL. Patterson would have fit the scheme better, and been a quicker reward, but Austin's ceiling is higher and the rewards are on the franchise's shoulders.

    With all this being said, we need Austin to have a year of NFL off-season conditioning and for him to learn a full NFL playbook (not the old college spread) and I think his success is really going to take off this year. I think the offensive line needs help to give more time for bigger plays....

    In conclusion , to answer your question shortly, I wasn't and still am not sold on the move up, but I do think it was worth it -- because the Rams got "their guy" and have the opportunity to turn the offense full circle by starting with 2 players from Game 1 -- -Stacy and Austin that can be a force for the next 10 years....

    You gotta feel comfortable with Snead and Fisher -- and I rather have a coach thinking success is always within reach with our draft picks and plays on the field.

    it will all be good -- 2014 Rams
    sosa39rams likes this.

  12. #12
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,500
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Who is still not convinced it was worth it ?

    Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I think there weresome strong reasons not to trade up for Austin.

    Fisher and Schotty are very convential and "Pro Style" in their offensive schemes. Now Fisher is not shy about a trick play or taking some chances, but Austin is a unique piece that must be committed to in the play book and used from multiple positions. It was obvious that they needed some time to adapt to Austin's abilities and "learn" along with him. This took a season to grow. With Bradford out, I think Austin clearly developed but the future of his success depends on play calling specifically for his needs. This year the Rams have to show the commitment to use him and adapt their "old school" scheme (for lack of better words) to the new school of the NFL.
    AMEN. The exact same thing I've been saying. I love Austin but you have to FULLY commit to a guy like Tavon.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  13. #13
    punahou's Avatar
    punahou is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    HAWAII
    Posts
    671
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Who is still not convinced it was worth it ?

    Im fairly certain that if we had the combination of Warford and Patterson/Hopkins that most of us here would be very, very content-- especially with the current state of our Oline.

    Austin is a niche player. He is similar to current and past players like the guy in Seattle (his impact has been so monumental I cant remember his name) who has yet to play a quarter because his body hasnt been able to stand the rigor od the NFL over the past years.

    Oh yes-- Percy Harvin that's that guys name=P

  14. #14
    demiurge is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    354
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Who is still not convinced it was worth it ?

    WAAAY too early to assess. And of course you are assessing other WRs in other systems with other intangibles and dynamics.

    Austin has proven he can be a home run hitter. We'll see which of these WR lasts in the wear and tear of the season.

  15. #15
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,816
    Rep Power
    168

    Re: Who is still not convinced it was worth it ?

    The reality is, any time you trade up, you risk creating a "what if" scenario.

    Here's an interesting one.

    In 1997, the Rams traded up for Orlando Pace. He went on to be a 7 time Pro-Bowl selection, 5 time All-Pro, a member of the 2000s All-Decade Team, and the anchor of the GSOT's OLine that won 2 NFC Championships and a Super Bowl.

    But what if the Rams didn't make that trade (in which they moved up from No. 6 to No. 1 in exchange for their 3rd, 4th and 7th round picks)?

    Well, as it turns out, their No. 6 pick was used to draft Walter Jones, who had a comparable career to Pace's (I think both will make the HOF) and the Rams 3rd round selection was (after being traded by the Jets) used to draft Ronde Barber.

    So, was that trade a mistake?

    Not in my book.
    Vinnie25 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: -04-25-2012, 09:26 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: -02-20-2010, 05:21 PM
  3. Goodell's convinced Rams sale might occur
    By GreatestShow99 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: -09-11-2008, 01:38 AM
  4. I'm now convinced
    By chiguy in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -09-25-2007, 10:49 AM
  5. I am not convinced it was Martz any more
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -10-15-2006, 02:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •