View Poll Results: Which of the following QBs will have the best career over the next 7-10 years?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Joe Flacco

14 18.67%
  • Matt Ryan

21 28.00%
  • Matthew Stafford

7 9.33%
  • Marc Sanchez

7 9.33%
  • Sam Bradford

19 25.33%
  • Jimmy Clausen

1 1.33%
  • Jake Locker

4 5.33%
  • Ryan Mallett

2 2.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Who will be the best QB?

Over the next 7-10 years, which of the following do you think will have the most success as an NFL QB?

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: Who will be the best QB?

Joe Flacco, with his new receiver core will have 3 monster years until Boldin gets to be a little older. By that time they will have another up and coming receiver and Flacco will continue to be great.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, or Sam Bradford. Possibly Mark Sanchez.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

My ranking would be:

Bradford
    Flacco
    Sanchez
    Ryan

Sanchez and Flacco might have been flipped last draft.

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, or Sam Bradford. Possibly Mark Sanchez.
    This would be my order

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I'll go
    Flacco
    Sanchez
    Ryan
    Stafford

This is my order for Team success in the next couple of years.

The best QB over the next 7-10 years is all a crap shoot.
    They all could be Busts.
    They all could be great.

Nobody knows the future! If somebody did I hope the Rams trade for him or draft him.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Just by talent around him I would say flacco at this point.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

The guy I think with the greatest chance of consistent success is honestly Bradford. I think the guy will come in and do great things depending on what the the team he goes to does for him as afr as protection and playmakers.

If he goes here (which I'm just about certain he will barring ridiculous trade offers) I think he will do good things for us. Hopefully we pull off a decent season so DeSpags doesn't get the boot and he has time to work in the same system.

I actually think Bradford's transition to the Pros will not be on the Matt Ryan level but better than Sanchez and Stafford

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

So much of a quarterback's ability to be successful depends on the team he goes to. Are you being picked by a team that might have had an off year but has had some recent success, or are you being picked by a team that's been struggling for years now?

For instance, Flacco was drafted in the second half of the first round by a Ravens team that, though they were 5-11 the year before they took Flacco, had a record of 28-20 the three years before that. Not a bad situation.

Matt Ryan was taken third overall by a 4-12 Falcons team that had an awful season under a first year head coach who quit on them before the season was even out. But in the three years prior to the Petrino disaster, the Falcons were 26-22. They may have been bad in 2007, but it's not as if they were struggling like that for years.

Look at Mark Sanchez. The 9-7 Jets traded up for him; they were already a solid team. In 2007, they had a down year (4-12) but in 2006, they were 10-6 and in the playoffs. Again, not a horrible situation as there was some success there to work with.

Now look at Matthew Stafford. In the last decade, the Lions have eclipsed six wins only two times. Prior to drafting Stafford, they had ten wins in three seasons, seven of which came in 2007. They have a strong head coach and a new front office team, so they may be able to right the ship. But clearly it's going to be a bigger challenge than these other first round quarterbacks have faced.

But you can keep looking back to some other recent drafts, and the trend continues. The Packers weren't an awful team when they drafted Rodgers, and he's been successful. The Giants had a down year in 2003 that allowed them to make a move on Eli, but in the three years prior, they amassed 29 wins. The Steelers were playoff bound with Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox before a down season allowed them to snag Big Ben. The Chargers are the only team that really bucks the trend, though Brees showed in 2004 after Rivers was drafted but before he played that the team could be successful. Maybe with that said, it's not as much a surprise that Big Ben and Eli have rings while Rivers doesn't.

So you look at guys like Stafford or Bradford (if we draft him), and it's plain to see they're entering much different situations. Their situations are more comparable to the 2005 ***** or the 2007 Oakland Raiders than the teams I mentioned earlier. These aren't very good teams, and the NFL isn't set up to allow coaches 4-5 years of failure or mediocrity as they build a winner. You either have to catch lightning in a bottle, or you accept the notion that you may be building a team for the next guy, who may or may not be successful himself.

As for Locker and Mallet, we don't even know how their next college season is going to go, let alone where they end up as pros. It's incredibly tough to prognosticate their future success, although I think both of them have the talent to find success in the right NFL situation.

But long story short, all of these guys have talent. If they didn't, they wouldn't be first round quarterbacks. But it takes more than talent to be successful at the next level, and a large part of having a great career is spending that career surrounded by other talented players. If we assume Bradford comes to the Rams, I think he has the potential to be very good if he can stay healthy, but we also have to surround him with pieces to work with - a better backfield rotation, more weapons at receiver and tight end, a more consistent offensive line, a better defense that not only stops the opposition but creates turnovers and more opportunities for the offense.

Meanwhile, you've got guys like Flacco or Sanchez who not only have the tools but entered into a situation where they have talent around them on both sides of the ball. With that in mind, I think they'd be the frontrunner for this question, with Flacco taking the lead because he's simply been better so far than Sanchez has, and the Ravens have made it a priority to surround him with talent while trying to keep up a strong defense. Plus, I think they're better situated in their division than the Jets are in the AFC East.

So my answer would probably be Flacco.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ramhard is offline Registered User

Bradford surrounded by so much talent

I like Bradford, but my concern is that he was surrounded by so much talent that he will have a tougher time transitioning to the NFL where the talent gap will be smaller. Seems like QBs who faced tougher times in college (e.g. Flacco and Ryan) make a better transition as they don't rely on wide-open receivers and are used to throwing under pressure.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

I had to go with Sanchez. He's got a great line for the most part in their prime. He's got a pretty good #1 with Edwards and a solid #2 with Cotchery. His TE is only in his 3rd year I think? So if they keep their line healthy and deep, he's got a step or two against his competition.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I think Bradford will be the best. He has a lot of things to look forward to, and I think that accuracy overpowers strength any day.

He has enough strength to make all the necessary throws in the NFL. So with that said, I think he can emerge into a star.

MACD is offline Registered User

Joe Flacco, with his new receiver core will have 3 monster years until Boldin gets to be a little older. By that time they will have another up and coming receiver and Flacco will continue to be great.
    If he ever starts looking for Clayton too....
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -03-22-2010 at 01:14 PM.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Best QB in the next decade ... i choose the Qb with the best team. Flacco.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I get the notion that you pick the guy with the best talent around him, but in 2 years that could change quite a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast