View Poll Results: Who will the Rams select in the first round?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jammal Brown, OT, Oklahoma

11 39.29%
  • Carlos Rogers, CB, Auburn

4 14.29%
  • Darryl Blackstock, OLB, Virginia

0 0%
  • Khalif Barnes, OT, Washington

5 17.86%
  • Thomas Davis, S, Georgia

5 17.86%
  • David Pollack, DE, Georgia

1 3.57%
  • Shaun Cody, DE, USC

1 3.57%
  • David Baas, OG, Michigan

0 0%
  • Kevin Burnett, OLB, Tennessee

0 0%
  • Brodney Pool, S, Oklahoma

1 3.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Who will the Rams select in the First Round?

We did a who should the Rams pick earlier. Now that we're closer to the draft, who do you think the Rams will select?

I have included players who (1) are likely on the Rams "radar," and (2) have a reasonable chance of being there at pick #19.

Re: Who will the Rams select in the First Round?

As I'm starting to think that Jammal Brown will be gone before the Rams pick, I was torn between Khalif Barnes and Thomas Davis. I went with Davis because I think the Rams will be willing to wait until the second round to take an OT, when players like Adam Terry (Syracuse), Marcus Johnson (Mississippi) and Michael Munoz (Tennessee) should be available.

viper is offline Registered User

I'm thinking IF Brown is there we'll take him. That would potentially cement the two tackles for years to come.

I do see the secondary, free safety in particular, as THE major weakness after RT. If we filled that position in the first round, with a quality player, I'd be OK with that as well. It could go that way as Av has suggested.

Go Rams!!! :ramlogo:

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I just don't see 2 teams in the top 18 that are going to want to pay 1st round money for any of the OTs out there. The Texans are one that will, but I don't think there will be another one. Everyone else appears to have greater needs than that in the top picks.

I gotta go with Brown.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Ramsfan8503 is offline Registered User

i went with thomas davis becuase we need a safety and we can take adam terry or marcus johnson

T.S.A.
    [IMG]Holt_AP_47122.jpg[/IMG]

#1 wide out

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I think it will be Davis, but with the Rams I wouldn't be surprised if they took the best WR available in Round 1.

Quote Originally Posted by AV, 8503, Tx
    I went with Davis
    Guys, educate me on what I'm missing here. Yes, Davis is a great tackler and has great instincts, but he is a college SS who appears to be heading to WOLB in the Pros. Isn't that a position that we have more than enough of? It just seems that we could fill a need in the 1st instead of looking for depth.

Apparently you guys are seeing something in him that I'm not. Is he capable of playing FS as well or something? I'm just not getting it.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Davis projects as a safety, and probably could play either SS or FS.

Tx - I keep reading posts like yours on message boards, but I don't get it.

Torry Holt is the only WR the Rams have taken in the first round during the Mike Martz era (as OC or HC). Why do people think he's going to draft a WR and ignore the O line and the defense?

Davis projects as a safety, and probably could play either SS or FS.
    Everything I've seen has him projecting as a LB, but hey, if he can play FS then I've got no problem with that pick. But I've yet to hear that he can play FS.

ramhard is offline Registered User

On T. Davis at FS

People moved in to LB based on his slow times at the combine. He ran better at individual workouts and have people moving him back to having him at safety. I haven't seen him play, but before the combine he was listed as a FS. Some scouting reports:

Thomas Davis*

Position:
    FS

College:
    Georgia

Projected Selection:
    Top20

MEASUREMENTS
    HEIGHT
    WEIGHT
    40 TIME
    6'1"
    Pros: Great size and range, very strong. Solid tackler, great for run support. Best S available in draft by far.
    Cons: Not too many picks, still developing at the spot.

Strengths: Was a safety in a linebackers body as a junior...Very strong, tough and physical...Excellent athlete...Great size...Has great range...A force in run support...Great instincts...Good tackler...Very productive...Has a lot of upside.
    Weaknesses: Raw and still developing...Has only average speed but it is good for his size...Doesn't have a lot of experience at safety and may be best suited for linebacker in the pros...May be a bit of a S / OLB 'tweener.
    Notes: Has the potential to be great and hasn't even begun to reach it yet...Could project to either safety or linebacker at the next level depending on the team and defensive scheme.

Strengths: Was a safety in a linebackers body as a junior...Very strong, tough and physical...Excellent athlete...Great size...Has great range...A force in run support...Great instincts...Good tackler...Very productive...Has a lot of upside.
    Weaknesses: Raw and still developing...Has only average speed but it is good for his size...Doesn't have a lot of experience at safety and may be best suited for linebacker in the pros...May be a bit of a S / OLB 'tweener.
    Notes: Has the potential to be great and hasn't even begun to reach it yet...Could project to either safety or linebacker at the next level depending on the team and defensive scheme.
    If he can cover the slot and deep man, then I'm all for it (assuming Brown is gone). But if run support is his only asset, we've already got an Arch. He appears to be a smart kid and he ran faster in his pro day, so maybe he can learn the centerfield technique. I'd just hate to use a 1st rounder on him, if we didn't know.

It's just the stuff like the bold above that makes me a little tentative on Davis.

If is was me making the decision for the Rams, I would base my pick at #1 on who I thought would be there in the second round.

For example, if the Rams are confident that guys like Adam Terry and Marcus Johnson will be there in the 2nd round, I might wait and take a defensive player in round 1.

On the other hand, if it appears that players like Josh Bullocks will be available in the second round, that might tend to push towards taking an OT in the first round.

The way I currently see it, it is more likely that there will be top notch talent at OT in the 2nd round than at S.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    If is was me making the decision for the Rams, I would base my pick at #1 on who I thought would be there in the second round.

For example, if the Rams are confident that guys like Adam Terry and Marcus Johnson will be there in the 2nd round, I might wait and take a defensive player in round 1.

On the other hand, if it appears that players like Josh Bullocks will be available in the second round, that might tend to push towards taking an OT in the first round.

The way I currently see it, it is more likely that there will be top notch talent at OT in the 2nd round than at S.
    If we could get Brown and Bullocks in the 1st two rounds, I don't think anyone would complain, but while I still think Brown will be available there is a higher probability that Bullocks may not. So the question comes down, if we go D in the 1st...say Davis, Cody, Pollack, Pool...and then shoot for OT in the 2nd, then all three Bs and Adam Terry will probably be gone. I don't see anyone else that could start from day 1. We'd probably still have our pick of Parquet, Britt, Willis or Colmer, but that would mean Grant Williams or Saipaia is still our starting RT next year.

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

With Orlando getting signed I think the Rams wait a few rounds before taking an offensive lineman. DB is now the highest need.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

Quote Originally Posted by DJRamFan
    With Orlando getting signed I think the Rams wait a few rounds before taking an offensive lineman. DB is now the highest need.
    But DJ, with Orlando signed we're only back to ground zero. That just puts us where we ended the season. Do you really feel that good about the current state of this O-line? If so, I (and Bulger) hope you're right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast