View Poll Results: Who WILL the Rams take in Round 1?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jason Smith

46 48.42%
  • Eugene Monroe

17 17.89%
  • Aaron Curry

24 25.26%
  • Mark Sanchez

3 3.16%
  • Michael Crabtree

0 0%
  • None of the above because they'll trade down.

4 4.21%
  • None of the above because they'll take someone else at #2 (who?)

1 1.05%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: THIS IS IT: Who WILL the Rams take in Round 1?

Mike, I dunno if I'd call him the safer of the two, considering that he only started playing OT three years ago I believe, and that he played mainly in a 2 point stance, but he's certainly the better run blocker and does not have any medical concerns. But he's also much more raw as a player than Monroe, who was one of the top players in the country going into college as well.

It all comes down to where we plan on playing Alex Barron, in my mind. Will we keep him at LT, where he played in college and is built for, and was drafted to take over for Pace? Or will he return to RT? If he stays, we should go with the better run blocker(Smith, or a RT at #35); if we move him back to RT, we should take the better starting day player, and better pass protector, Monroe.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Mike, I dunno if I'd call him the safer of the two, considering that he only started playing OT three years ago I believe, and that he played mainly in a 2 point stance, but he's certainly the better run blocker and does not have any medical concerns. But he's also much more raw as a player than Monroe, who was one of the top players in the country going into college as well.

It all comes down to where we plan on playing Alex Barron, in my mind. Will we keep him at LT, where he played in college and is built for, and was drafted to take over for Pace? Or will he return to RT? If he stays, we should go with the better run blocker(Smith, or a RT at #35); if we move him back to RT, we should take the better starting day player, and better pass protector, Monroe.
    Teke, I'm guessing the Rams have Smith and Monroe graded very close, with the determining factor being Monroe's knees. Devaney said they have no problems with Monroe, but the history is there and it probably weighs into the formula for dishing out huge money for a player you want around for many years. We'll soon see.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

The heart will say Curry, but the brain will say Monroe. Rather than risk the leftovers in round two, the Rams take an offensive lineman who can start from day one. More than any other position, a left tackle has got to be consistent and reliable. That's what you get from Monroe. As long as the quarterback stays clean, it doesn't really matter whether he dominated or merely held the opponent in check.

d4nnystl539 is offline Registered User

With the 2nd pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the St. Louis Rams select Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest...

They need this kind of an impact player on their defense without a doubt. The Rams will realize that if they draft an OT with their 2nd pick, they will be paying top money for a RT. They feel like Alex Barron will beat out whichever OT they draft and perform well in his original position of LT. I know they don't want to pick up an OT, that may end up playing RT, early when they can get one later in the draft.
    Last edited by d4nnystl539; -04-24-2009 at 07:38 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123