AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Who will be the top riser and faller in the pre-draft process?

Every year at this time, we think we have a pretty good handle on where the prospects rank.

Every year, there are a few prospects who prove us wrong.

There are always risers - guys who start as Day 2 prospects, and end up at the top of the first round.

There are always fallers - guys who start as high-first rounders, and end up falling to the later rounds.

So... who you you see being the top riser and the top faller in this year's draft?

My picks:

Riser: Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson
    I believe that Bryant (the OTHER WR from Clemson) will excel in testing (40 time, verticle, etc.). Teams will also look at this build (6'5, 200) and see an A.J. Green type. Probably an unfair comparison, but the perception could carry him into the late first round.

Faller: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
    I think Manziel's workouts will be far less impressive than his game tapes. I also expect teams to be wary of Manziel's celebrity status and attitude, which could remind many of the things most DON'T like about RG3. Of course, it only takes one QB-hungry team to fall in love with Manziel for his goal of being a Top 10 pick to be fulfilled, but if the first wave of QB selections passes, he could be that lonely guy sitting in the Green Room this year.

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: Who will be the top riser and faller in the pre-draft process?

Riser(s): Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers: Coleman dominated when given the opportunity in a non-passing offense. Coleman is showing he is over a minor off-season surgery that got him off to a slow start, and once scouts see his frame, speed, and strength his stock will shoot up the board. He is projected as a Round 3 prospect but day day he will fly up to a top 50 pick for sure, and I think a top25 or higher is the end result.

Logan Thomas, QB, Va Tech : In a class where all the good QBs are a year away, the remaining become much more valuable. A 6ft 6in guy with a NFL arm will grow in value each and every day. He was once thought of a potential #1 overall pick, but faded at Va Tech due to a number of reasons. He is thought of as a 5th or 6th rounder but could potential get into top 3 rounds with a strong workout, and shows promise of being a solid backup.
    Hon mention: Justin Gilbert, CB, OSU

Faller(s): Marqise Lee, WR, USC
    -- With a class that is full of WR talent, Marquise Lee no longer looks like a top 5 or top 10 pick that he was once thought to be a lock. He is smaller in this class, and needs a team to commit to him in a Randall Cobb type way. There are questions he can't play strong enough to be the next Victor Cruz on the outside, and will end up being Nate Burleson. I still think his name will keep him in the first round, but he may be 4th WR taken.....and potential to fall even further.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Risers:
    Greg Robinson, Kony Ealy, Cedric Ogbuehi, Scott Crighton. - The Robinson hype train in particular has really started rolling, and I think it'll end with him being a top 10 selection. Ealy will display the versatility at 275 pounds that will appeal to a lot of teams. Ogbuehi has a really high upside and looks the part of a left tackle in the NFL. Crighton can play all along the line and looks like one of the safer picks on the d-line.

Fallers:
    (Hopefully)Mike Evans, AJ McCarron. I think the competition at the WR position in the draft will expose Evans and push him down. McCarron was also exposed in the national spotlight and doesn't look to be able to handle the pressure of an NFL pass rush right now.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Every year at this time, we think we have a pretty good handle on where the prospects rank.

Every year, there are a few prospects who prove us wrong.

There are always risers - guys who start as Day 2 prospects, and end up at the top of the first round.

There are always fallers - guys who start as high-first rounders, and end up falling to the later rounds.

So... who you you see being the top riser and the top faller in this year's draft?

My picks:

Riser: Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson
    I believe that Bryant (the OTHER WR from Clemson) will excel in testing (40 time, verticle, etc.). Teams will also look at this build (6'5, 200) and see an A.J. Green type. Probably an unfair comparison, but the perception could carry him into the late first round.

Faller: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
    I think Manziel's workouts will be far less impressive than his game tapes. I also expect teams to be wary of Manziel's celebrity status and attitude, which could remind many of the things most DON'T like about RG3. Of course, it only takes one QB-hungry team to fall in love with Manziel for his goal of being a Top 10 pick to be fulfilled, but if the first wave of QB selections passes, he could be that lonely guy sitting in the Green Room this year.
    I disagree with you on Manziel. You know he will not throw the ball at the combine no way. He may run and do some interviews. He will have his pro day where he is going to throw against the air and look like a star like all pro days. As much as I would hate to have the celebrity QB as a Rams fan, there are owners like the Jsgs owner that would love to have that. RG3 sold how many millions in gear and tickets in his rookie year. I think he is going to ride the early success of Wilson and Kap as a playmaker and get drafted high. Maybe higher then he should.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    As much as I would hate to have the celebrity QB as a Rams fan, there are owners like the Jsgs owner that would love to have that.
    That's what everyone said when Tebow was available. Now, granted, Manziel's QB skills are light-years ahead of Tebow's, but I do think Manziel will need to prove that he's a worthy "face of the franchise," rather than a sideshow and a distraction.

Rambos is offline Registered User

That's what everyone said when Tebow was available. Now, granted, Manziel's QB skills are light-years ahead of Tebow's, but I do think Manziel will need to prove that he's a worthy "face of the franchise," rather than a sideshow and a distraction.
    You answered the question here Tebow can't throw the ball and is not in the league because of that not his celebrity.Tebow was never projected as a top five pick. He was taken in the first round which many thought was too high. My point is Manziel is already projected as a high pick and he will do as little to prove he's not worthy of it come workout time. Like you said his film looks good, he will bank on what he has done in games IMO. Unless he has poor representation like it appeared Geno had last year. I think he will be so hyped that he will be on some mocks as the first pick.

richtree is offline Registered User

I totally agree that Manziel is not a long term answer as a "franchise" QB, but with today's rookie pay scale and so many teams having dwindling window of talent, i.e. Browns, Titans, Jaguars, Vikings, Texans, Raiders......

Someone will use him the way the Falcons used Michael Vick. By that I mean they will throw him out there and let him run recklessly to win as many possible games until he falls apart (which he will)....

This is not the best approach, but if your an NFL team and want a short term answer that will also bring a spark to a fan base, this is a good option.

PS -- VEGAS HAS THE OVER/UNDER FOR MANZIEL DRAFT SPOT AT 6.5 -- VEGAS IS USUALLY RIGHT ON!