View Poll Results: Who do you want in Round 2?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ron Brace, DT, Boston College

8 8.79%
  • James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State

46 50.55%
  • Clint Sintim, LB, Virginia

4 4.40%
  • Evander "Ziggy" Hood, DT, Missouri

6 6.59%
  • Brian Robiskie, WR, Ohio State

2 2.20%
  • Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina

10 10.99%
  • Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma

5 5.49%
  • Clay Matthews, LB, USC

4 4.40%
  • Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech

3 3.30%
  • Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma

0 0%
  • Darry Beckwith, LB, LSU

0 0%
  • Someone else (who?)

3 3.30%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Who are you hoping for in Round 2?

Quote Originally Posted by A-Web View Post
    Because based on my college football knowledge to this point, I do not think there is a linebacker in the next season whom I would want to draft and think highly of in terms of a starting player. So I think when you have so many guys with as much upside as we do this season, that we should take advantage of that and grab away. There will always be a lineman in the next draft that is ready to play, but I don't like the odds of a new linebacker based on my survey of the upcoming field.
    We never know what is going to happen in the future, so it makes no sense to make draft picks based on 2010. This isn't the NBA, where everyone is waiting for 2010. Plus next years LB Class is way better than this year with Spikes from Florida, Witherspoon from Missouri, Herzlich from Boston College, Micah Johnson, Joe Pawleek, and Rico McCoy to name a few.

Goldberg, doesn't really have upside and Barron is FA next year I'm not getting your point. Tackle is a huge need especially with 40% of the cap playing behind like Tx has said before

Also I don't see the O-line depth you are talking about. Barron is the only pure tackle and Goldberg and Grecco are better guards. We are deep at guard thin at center and tackle
    Last edited by 39thebeast; -04-04-2009 at 01:08 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Brace, Laurinaitis, Hood, Nicks... I'd be pleaed with any of them there.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

If the coaching is comfy with him there, than I am. If the pre-season workouts and training drills pass by, and the offensive line positions competition wraps up, and he is the #1 guy for the spot, than I guess my answer to you will be, "Yes, I am confident and comfortable with him in that spot."

Well, that's a good way to put it but I'm thinking he's the man right now because there is no one else behind him. I don't know, I just don't see Goldberg being a starter Game 1. I do see Monroe or J Smith but not Goldberg.

Also, I was way high on the 40 percent salary cap thing with Bulger/Jackson. It's actually 17 percent based on 2008 money
    Last edited by txramsfan; -04-04-2009 at 02:08 PM.

bigredman Guest

Hmmmmm...I'm looking for someone with field vision like Joe Montana, an arm like Dan Marino, play maker like John Elway, the speed of Bo Jackson, the tenacity of Earl Cambell, the elusiveness of Barry Sanders, the toughness of Jack Youngblood, the blocking ability of Jackie Slater, the pass rushing ability of Lawrence Taylor, the hands of a Randy Moss, the pass pattern ability of Jerry Rice, and the tackling ferociousness of a Jack Lambert.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Hmmmmm...I'm looking for someone with field vision like Joe Montana, an arm like Dan Marino, play maker like John Elway, the speed of Bo Jackson, the tenacity of Earl Cambell, the elusiveness of Barry Sanders, the toughness of Jack Youngblood, the blocking ability of Jackie Slater, the pass rushing ability of Lawrence Taylor, the hands of a Randy Moss, the pass pattern ability of Jerry Rice, and the tackling ferociousness of a Jack Lambert.
    Well, since you put it that way....why don't you throw in the voice of Megan from AI to sing the National Anthem?

Sorry BRM, couldn't resist.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Well, since you put it that way....why don't you throw in the voice of Megan from AI to sing the National Anthem?

Sorry BRM, couldn't resist.

Thank God that girl is gone.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Okay... plenty of Round 1 polls... how about a Round 2 poll?

Who do you want? (Assume that the players listed fall to pick #35)
    My choice would certainly be influenced by who we picked at #2 overall, so assuming we take either Jason Smith or Eugene Munroe, with our 1st pick, I would love to see the Rams go D-line next. I don't think Ziggy Hood will be there in rd #2, so I guess Ron Brace would be the one I'd hope for, if Billy and Spags think he rates as high as other players who play say MLB, WR, or CB.
    Last edited by MauiRam; -04-04-2009 at 10:10 PM.

A-Web is offline Registered User

For everyone that is oblivious to what I have stated in enough threads to make it's own, the "DEPTH" I have talked about over and over that we have already gotten durring FA is Daren Heerspink. 25 year old Offensive (LEFT) Tackle.

DAREN HEERSPINK;
    Birth DateApril 2, 1984Birth PlaceHeight6-6Weight315 lbs.Age25PositionOTExperience1 yearsCollegePortland State
    He is now a Ram.
    Would a coach pick up a 25 year old Left Tackle if he didn't think he could do something? No, and do you trust your coach, hopefully. So, this is one of the other factual reasons I believe we WILL draft Aaron Curry. I have brought it up before, and I hope this is the last time. Oh besides, guy looks like Jason Witten in my opinion.

There is the face to get used to on the front line. He will be working into that position, and fighting for a spot. He is young, which provides plenty of upside, and has all of the offseason to get acquainted into the system.

could be a camp pickup, they are done all the time. I don't know. Being the unofficial Secretary of Defense for ClanRam I would LOVE Curry and Laurinitis but I just don't think that the Rams can afford not to take the OT in Round 1 especially with 2009 being Barron's contract year.

For everyone that is oblivious to what I have stated in enough threads to make it's own, the "DEPTH" I have talked about over and over that we have already gotten durring FA is Daren Heerspink. 25 year old Offensive (LEFT) Tackle.

DAREN HEERSPINK;
    Birth DateApril 2, 1984Birth PlaceHeight6-6Weight315 lbs.Age25PositionOTExperience1 yearsCollegePortland State
    He is now a Ram.
    Would a coach pick up a 25 year old Left Tackle if he didn't think he could do something? No, and do you trust your coach, hopefully. So, this is one of the other factual reasons I believe we WILL draft Aaron Curry. I have brought it up before, and I hope this is the last time. Oh besides, guy looks like Jason Witten in my opinion.

There is the face to get used to on the front line. He will be working into that position, and fighting for a spot. He is young, which provides plenty of upside, and has all of the offseason to get acquainted into the system.
    Are you serious? he doesn't have an NFL Start he hasn't even been in a game. I trust Spags and i'm pretty sure a 25 year old who hasn't been in a game let alone start isn't his idea of quality depth

A-Web is offline Registered User

Which points to what I am saying. Obviously he isn't looking at him for depth, so he must be going after a developmental player to train into the scheme. If you are signing for depth, you are going after older players who still have a few years left, and only command league vet minimum. This cannot be that, obviously, so Spags must see something there. There's no joke here, Spags hired him, so he must have a purpose.

Which points to what I am saying. Obviously he isn't looking at him for depth, so he must be going after a developmental player to train into the scheme. If you are signing for depth, you are going after older players who still have a few years left, and only command league vet minimum. This cannot be that, obviously, so Spags must see something there. There's no joke here, Spags hired him, so he must have a purpose.
    Camp body maybe? or the fact we have 2 tackles and they can't both be on the first second and third team.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

I think these three will be gone before we pick in the 2nd round.
    James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State
    Clint Sintim, LB, Virginia
    Clay Matthews, LB, USC

This is the only LB I think has a good chance of being there in the second.
    Darry Beckwith, LB, LSU

I do think Loadholt and Beatty will be available in the second round. Which is why I hope we draft Curry in the first round.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Tough Catches you obviously didn't see Nicks in his bowl game against west Virginia.

Ask any scout and they will tell you Britt Body catches sometimes while Nicks always uses his hands. Nicks and Crabtree have the best hands in the draft.

Nicks is also one of the best route runners in the draft and that is exactly what you do in the WCO

Here's a quote from Scott Wright about Britt "Overconfident and immature with a lot of Diva-esque tendencies."

Here's a quote from Scott Wright about Nicks "Team player with solid intangibles...Extremely competitive"

Nicks gained weight that he has already lost because he had a hamstring injury and couldn't work out.

Nicks is 6-0 3/4 and Britt is 6-2 7/8. Look at combine official combine times where they are on equal footing Nicks ran a 4.51 and Britt ran 4.50. Britt had a one inch higher vert, but Nicks ran better in the 10yd and 20yd dash which shows explosion and a quick first step.

You can say Britt stats are inflated also, because Tiquan Underwood didn't have a good senior year. His stats are definately not infalted he had 19 less receptions than Britt.

Nicks had 12 touchdowns compared to Britt's 7. Britt had 150 more yards, but he had 19 more receptions. Career wise Nicks has 21 TDs while Britt has 17.

The More well rounded guy is Nicks he is a better route runner, better hands, gets better separation, maybe equal over the middle, speed nearly identical (see 40 times). Britt will get more YAC and is Taller, but I still like Nicks

From NFL draft scout "Compares To: RODDY WHITE, Atlanta -- Actually, Nicks looks more like a smaller version of Keyshawn Johnson. He has very good power and runs precise routes, displaying some of the best hands in this draft. He won't beat a cornerback on deep patterns using pure speed, but he's a savvy route runner who is also light on his feet for a player his size."

A couple quick counter points before I get into to much detail.

You said Britt was over-confident. As a scout I think I would want that. Secondly, you defend Nicks by saying he didn't perform at pro day because of a nagging hammy? Guess He got hurt with all that contact at the combine. He probably stopped repping his bench presses at 17 too because the bar hurt his chest.

Also, you are comparing TD catches where Britt played behind some guy named "Ray Rice" that basically got the ball every oportunity for 2 years.
    Nicks played in a spread offense geared toward throwing the ball.

Then you say you could compare Nicks to Rodey White. Impossible.

White ran 4.4 at the combine. He also lost 5 lbs. before his pro day and ran a 4.3. He is an inch taller and alot faster.

Nicks is a solid round 2 pick for a team that needs a #3 possession reciever. His potenial is limited since is isn't going to get any taller or faster.

Alot of people forget that Torry Holt and Bruce were both big time speed guys and run there routes faster than most.

**I think this is a good way to judge a WR. If you were a really good team (I.E. Eagles, Colts, Cards, Pitt) what WR could you see being a big factor on those offenses. When you try to add a WR to a bad/building team its harder to judge the player because of need. But if everything was already in place are you are adding "weapons" who would you take.

**Using this method I believe it gives 3 players value

Macklin -- SPeed all over --KO returns, end arounds, stretch field.
    Britt -- Physical freak/ good size/will block and run thru a wall 4 u/ heart
    Heyward Bey-- Speed/Punt Returns/Strong too/excitement/speed

**I also think this hurts the following 3 WR's
    Crabtree -- Soft/not strong, fast, or tall/see Limas Sweed/MikeJohnson
    Nicks-- Slow down field/not strong or tall/cant create space/injury/weight
    Harvin - INjuries/Lack of instinct/mystery of draft/could be great or bust

Wildcards

Robiseke -- Has good size and quicks minus the phycial body. Has room to grow into a good NFL WR. Think Packers type system for success.

Murphy -- Speed guy but soft -- project that could develop into a downfield threat with 2 years of weight training

AVoid !!

Ramses Braden - see Sidneyh Rice, Limas Sweed, J.Hardy. All were big, tall and better than Ramses and still can't even get on the field for any NFL team

Sleepers

**Kevin Ogletree - A legit 6ft 1in that alot of people think could fly up the draft board if he stays in school. He wants out of college now and clocked an unoffical 4.37.

Dillard -- Decent player , Another Burner so Rams pass

Colts scout - From their website (can't post link)

Britt has the talent to be the best WR in the draft (yes, including Crabtree) if he can work on his hands. Teel's passing wasn't the greatest and look for the Colts to seriously consider Britt as Marvin's replacement.

That's enough for now, lol.

Ps - NIcks can't compare to Keyshawn either.

Nicks best comparison = Jerry Porter Marty Booker

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    You must be talking about that Clark Kent kid out of Kansas. Sure, he sounds great, but rumour has it he keeps showing up for practice late and sometimes even takes off in the middle of a game. I wonder if he's even committed to playing football. He doesn't have that nastiness you look for, you never see the guy in the weight room, and I'm thinking his frame has got to be pretty close to maxed out. Now is that the kind of guy you want to risk a second round pick on?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast