Like Tree8Likes
  • 8 Post By DE_Ramfan

Thread: Who are your top "sleeper" and biggest "ten foot pole" players?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Who are your top "sleeper" and biggest "ten foot pole" players?

Which unheralded played do you think should be rated higher?

Which player would you not touch with a ten foot pole?

Mine:

Sleeper
    Chris Givens, WR, Wake Forest
    He has decent size (5'11, 198) and very good speed (4.41 on the "slow" Combine track). He was very productive (83 receptions, 16.0 avg., 9 TDs) last year playing in a BCS conference. I like him as a value pick at the top of Round 3.

Ten Foot Pole
    Vontaze Burfict, LB, Arizona State
    This is almost too easy a choice. Burfict has had... shall we say, some "anger management" issues in the past and, to make matters worse, he was a total bust at the Combine and his Pro Day. While his college production was decent, I don't see it translating to the Pro game.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Re: Who are your top "sleeper" and biggest "ten foot pole" players?

Ryan Broyles will put up several nice years. He'll fly under the radar because he'll likely never be a premier type receiver but as a slot guy, he'll get you 70 catches several times.

Tannehill reminds me of Blaine Gabbert. Over (wait for it) rated.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Sleepers
    AJ Jenkins WR, Illinois- The smoothest receiver in the draft. He's got loads of speed (4.39 at the combine) and is a hands catcher. He's a smart receiver too, finding holes in coverages. He really reminds me of Ochocinco when he was Johnson. He would be a steal in the third round if he gets there (even though no one talks about him).
    Brandon Brooks OG, Miami (Ohio) - At 6'5, 345 pounds he is a monster, and he still ran in the 4.9s at his pro day. I don't know why he wasn't invited to the combine, but he's a road grader. He's huge, powerful, and moves well for his size. He's a perfect power blocking guard a team like the Steelers covets.

Avoid
    Zach Brown OLB, UNC
    - He can't tackle. If he showed he could get off of blocks and wrap up he would be a guaranteed first round pick. I hate watching him fly to the ball and then miss the tackle. NFL players are faster, more elusive, more slippery. He needs to wrap up.
    Mike Adams OT, OSU - He's got all the skill in the world, but he looks like he doesn't care. The name 'Barron' always seems to come up. I don't know why.
    Dwight Jones WR, UNC - I forgot he even existed. Don't look at his size, speed, or stats. Just stay far, far away.
    Last edited by codeman123; -03-23-2012 at 07:00 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Some "sleepers" that I'm keeping an eye on...

Ryan Miller (OL, Colorado)
    -Has NFL size (6'7", 321 pounds) and versatility (has started @ RG & RT). Can move people in the run game but may need some work in pass protection. Combine numbers were solid, could develop into a solid starter with the right coaching to improve technique.

Rishard Matthews (WR, Nevada)
    -Junior college player who broke out this season with 90+ catches and over 1,300 yards. More of a Day 3 prospect but has solid combination of size and physical skills. I haven't watched a lot of Nevada games, but I've seen him make some impressive catches that flash good ball awareness and body control.

Akiem Hicks (DT, Regina)
    -Another junior college player who chose LSU over some other big programs, but due to some recruiting issues, was forced to go elsewhere. Legit NFL size (6'5" and 318 pounds) and flashes ability; Combine numbers were similar to Michael Brockers. Could be a late round gem if a coach thinks he can motivate him and coach him up to his potential.

Travis Lewis (LB, Oklahoma)
    -Not sure if it's right calling him a sleeper, but declining senior production (possibly due to injury) and disappointing workout numbers may make Lewis available on Day 3, something that Rams fans who were clamoring for him in the second round of last year's draft probably wouldn't have expected

Someone I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole...

Janoris Jenkins (CB, North Alabama)
    -Maybe I'm copping out with an easy answer, but a bar fight arrest, multiple drug issues, and four kids by three women is just too much baggage for me. Even if wasn't, can the Rams really spend a high draft pick on a sub-5'10" corner after they just signed Finnegan? Stay away, Nick says.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Sleeper

Nick Toon, WR
    Height 6-2 / Weight 220

Wisconsin Pro Day: Senior wide receiver Nick Toon shaved more than a tenth of a second off of the 4.54 second time he had posted at the Scouting Combine, ran crisp routes and plucked the ball out of the air easily, highlighting what one veteran NFL scout called an "impressive group overall" at the Wisconsin Pro Day. The 6-2, 215 pound Toon was clocked at 4.43 seconds Wednesday. The improved time is important as average straight-line speed is considered to be Toon's biggest shorting. He also improved upon his vertical jump (39") from the Combine (37.5) and registered a 10'10" broad jump, as well.

Few players in the 2012 class have had to live up to the expectations with which Toon has faced. The son of former Wisconsin Badgers Hall of Famer and New York Jets top ten pick Al Toon decided to stay home to follow in his dad's footsteps at UW instead of going to another school to avoid the comparisons.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Sleepers:

Nigel Bradham, OLB, Florida State : I think Bradham has the ability to be one of the best OLB's in the NFL. He's very aggressive, flys to the ball, and will lay you out. I'd love for us to go after Bradham in Rds 3 or 4.

Asa Jackson, CB, Cal Poly : Jackson isn't particularly large but has nice speed. I think Jackson will be one of the steals in the draft as well. He'll be taken anywhere after round 4.

Marcus Forston, DT, Miami: I believe had Forston been healthy this past season he'd be talked about as a late 1st round early 2nd round prospect. He'll drop to the 5th round and will provide great value for whoever takes him.

Ten Foot Pole Players :

Cliff Harris, CB, Orgeon : I don't think I need to say much here besides multiple arrests and run ins with the law.

THE DREAM TEAM

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Sleepers:

AvengerRam - Tackle - Moderator U. - A real rock on the line. Also comes equipped with his own armor. Tenaciously defends what he likes so make sure he's on good terms with the QB.

RichTree - DB - University of South Jersey Shore - This guy's obsession with WR is almost creepy. He'll lock onto his target and follow him the entire season, and offseason.

HuBison - RB - Where the buffalo roam College - You ever try to tackle a bison? Yeah didn't think so.
    Nick, Bar-bq, Tampa_Ram and 5 others like this.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Sleepers:

Nick-Jean Baptiste (DT) Baylor

Brandon Brooks (OG) Miami of Ohio

Juron Criner (WR) Arizona

Phillip Blake (OG/C) Baylor

Ten-Foot Pole:

Zach Brown (OLB) UNC

Vontaze Burfict (MLB) Arizona St.

Alameda Ta'amu (NT) Washington

lostsoul is offline Registered User

Sleepers
    1. Danny Trevathan, OLB, Kentucky
    2. Travis Lewis, OLB, Oklahoma
    3. Sean Spence, OLB, Miami
    I think all of these guys will be starters in the nfl.

Avoid

Vontaze Burfict: even without the anger issues i wouldnt want him, His play really dropped off at the end of the season. So bad he was benched and they mainly ran a nickel defense.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Ryan Broyles- I'd love to see Rams take a chance on him at some point. he and Sam already have chemistry and yes we have a ton of slot guys but I think he's better than all of them(plus I think Salas can be a #2 because of his size and speed).

Ten foot pole- Zach Brown- yeah after watching tape on this guy no freaking way