1 3.33%
  • Dontari Poe

10 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Whos the best DT in the draft?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Whos the best DT in the draft?

I want to see what people around here are thinking. I think Brockers has the most potential, but as it currently stands I think its Fletcher Cox.

The DT's are:

Fletcher Cox, Brandon Thompson, Kendall Reyes, Dontari Poe, Devon Still, and Michael Brockers.

Cox is 6'4 and 295 lbs. I believe he is the best pass rushing DT in the draft. He is very solid and has crazy potential.

Brandon Thompson 6'2 310 lbs. He is more of a run stuffer but I believe he has great value in Rd 2. He can develop into a pass rusher.

Kendall Reyes is 6'4 299 lbs. He is well balanced and will be a steal in the 2nd round if he drops (which he very well might).

Devon Still is 6'5 303 lbs. I'm not very high on Still but many people are. I've seen him mocked anywhere from 10-40.

Michael Brockers is 6'5 and 322 lbs. A run stuffing monster. Brockers' potential is off the charts, and if we could land him in the 2nd round or late first (#22 if we get it) he could become a perennial pro bowler quickly.

Dontari Poe is 6'4 346 lbs. He is obviously the best run stuffer and would help tremendously with the worst run stopping D.
    Last edited by sosa39rams; -03-05-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Whos the best DT in the draft?

For me it's close between Poe and Cox.

I went with Poe for his run-stopping ability, and in my opinion, that's what we need most.
    THOLTFAN81 and Tampa_Ram like this.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    For me it's close between Poe and Cox.

I went with Poe for his run-stopping ability, and in my opinion, that's what we need most.
    I agree our greatest need for DT is a run stuffer. But im hoping we can land a run stuffer that can is still a good pass rusher so that it takes a little pressure off Long and Quinn. I know we all want this and cant have the best of both worlds, but dangit, i want my cake and want to eat it too!!!

So im going to go with Cox, i think we wouldnt have to take him to early and still get a top DT with great pass rush capability. Dont know much about his run stopping ability though, anyone care to inform me about his run stopping ability? I would be thankful.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I've read that Poe is more of a three gap penetrator rather than someone who takes on blockers. Saw comparisons to Jimmy Kennedy or Ryan Sims

Could just be predraft rubbis though!

Hmm, im glad im not the guy in charge of getting these guys. Hope they pick the best one suited for us and can get the most out of them.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Well if you have faith in the opinion of Warren Sapp, then its F. Cox. He has potential, but I'm afraid that at 295 he'll get pushed around in the pros (as he did at times in college). Brockers is the most impressive, his talent is massive.

Bing69 is offline Registered User

I can see Cox with his size being another Gerald McCoy. Its laughable looking back now that some people rated McCoy as a better prospect than Suh! McCoy has done absolutely nothing whilst Suh is one of the best at his position

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Well if you have faith in the opinion of Warren Sapp, then its F. Cox. He has potential, but I'm afraid that at 295 he'll get pushed around in the pros (as he did at times in college). Brockers is the most impressive, his talent is massive.
    Yea, the 295 is what gives me doubt about him, Maybe the coaches could get him to add on 20+ lbs and still be nimble.

Quote Originally Posted by Bing69 View Post
    I can see Cox with his size being another Gerald McCoy. Its laughable looking back now that some people rated McCoy as a better prospect than Suh! McCoy has done absolutely nothing whilst Suh is one of the best at his position
    Yea, so glad we didnt go after McCoy, he never impressed me even before he was drafted.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'm very intrigued by Fox. He had nice numbers (49 tackles, 12.5 TFL, 4 sacks) last year, and his Combine performance (4.79 in 40, 30 reps) was very impressive.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I have no idea who the best DT is, that said, I hope Les and Fish do and that we get him!
    mde8352gorams likes this.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Not that high on Devon Still.

I'm a big fan of Brockers.

I like Cox, but I need to watch him more before I judge him.

This DT class isn't that great.
    ManofGod likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I've read that Poe is more of a three gap penetrator
    At 346 pounds, he may just be able to handle a three-gap responsibility!

This year's crop is pretty close. There really isn't one elite talent, but a lot of guys in that second tier of very good prospects.

You could make a case for Brockers, coming in at 6'6" 322 pounds from the SEC. But those Combine numbers were cringe-worthy.

You could make a case for Poe, who had an incredible workout given his size and frame but never seemed to be as amazing of a factor on the field.

You could make a case for Cox, whose production as a DT in the SEC was noteworthy but likely didn't make 4-3 teams drool with that 295 pound weight.

There are pros and cons to any of them, really. This isn't a year where an Ndamukong Suh comes out and is just a mind-blowing prospect at the position. I think teams are really going to look at what they're trying to do defensively, and who can fit that role the best. Looking at the Rams as a 4-3 team in need of an interior penetrator, it's tough not to like what you see in Cox IMO.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Do we really need an "interior penetrator," Nick? I feel that the Rams need a big sloppy guy who will command the center and guard to double him, which will free up Long and Quinn on the outside more often. While I'm all for being able to push the pocket in the center, I think we are more in need of a guy who will plug holes and let our playmakers make plays. We have Long, Quinn, Laurinaitis, and Stewart who made things happen last year and would all benefit from a little less attention being able to be placed on them.

Put me down in the Brockers and Poe camp. I want a big guy well over 300lbs.
    I believe!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Do we really need an "interior penetrator," Nick? I feel that the Rams need a big sloppy guy who will command the center and guard to double him, which will free up Long and Quinn on the outside more often. While I'm all for being able to push the pocket in the center, I think we are more in need of a guy who will plug holes and let our playmakers make plays. We have Long, Quinn, Laurinaitis, and Stewart who made things happen last year and would all benefit from a little less attention being able to be placed on them.

Put me down in the Brockers and Poe camp. I want a big guy well over 300lbs.
    IMO, we need an inside penetrator much more than a big guy that takes up space.

We have already had big guys that plug the middle (Bannan, Robbins), and it wasn't very efficient.

If you want to maximize Long and Quinn's effectiveness, you have to have someone penetrate the inside so the QB's stop stepping up into the pocket against us. We have had absolutely no force to be reckoned with in terms of inside penetrating for a long time. QB's can step up into the pocket, and Long and Quinn are mirrored out and are shut out.

Basically, if we have an inside penetrator, then the QBs can't just find safe haven in the pocket, and are forced into Long and Quinn's arms.
    ManofGod likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast