• Dontari Poe

10 33.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Whos the best DT in the draft?

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Re: Whos the best DT in the draft?

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    IMO, we need an inside penetrator much more than a big guy that takes up space.

We have already had big guys that plug the middle (Bannan, Robbins), and it wasn't very efficient.

If you want to maximize Long and Quinn's effectiveness, you have to have someone penetrate the inside so the QB's stop stepping up into the pocket against us. We have had absolutely no force to be reckoned with in terms of inside penetrating for a long time. QB's can step up into the pocket, and Long and Quinn are mirrored out and are shut out.

Basically, if we have an inside penetrator, then the QBs can't just find safe haven in the pocket, and are forced into Long and Quinn's arms.
    You make a very valid point here, however with how poorly we performed in run stopping this year,I can't justify getting a quick penetration guy. To me we need mass. We had a good run stopping defense the first year we brought in Robbins, but you can see that his age caught up with him this year. To me that says, get young big defensive tackle and our run stopping production increases. In an ideal world what we need is one penetrating tackle and one run stopper. For those reasons I am in the Poe and Brockers camp, since I feel that with Fisher we have a guy that can get the most out of linemen
    ManofGod likes this.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

IMO, we need an inside penetrator much more than a big guy that takes up space.

We have already had big guys that plug the middle (Bannan, Robbins), and it wasn't very efficient.

If you want to maximize Long and Quinn's effectiveness, you have to have someone penetrate the inside so the QB's stop stepping up into the pocket against us. We have had absolutely no force to be reckoned with in terms of inside penetrating for a long time. QB's can step up into the pocket, and Long and Quinn are mirrored out and are shut out.

Basically, if we have an inside penetrator, then the QBs can't just find safe haven in the pocket, and are forced into Long and Quinn's arms.

Long and Quinn are shut out? Long had 13 sacks and Quinn had 5 in limited playing time... seems pretty good to me. Plus you're "big guys in the middle" (Robbins and Bannan) Robbins is horrible. He should retire, while Bannan is average. If we had a monster in the middle to stop the run and free up Laurinaitis than we could go after a penetrator like Jason Jones or Fletcher Cox. I like Cox as a run stopper too though. Add some weight (10-15 lbs) and some coaching and he should be solid. That'll make up for the pass rush of Bannan.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Yes, Poe is a great workout warrior, but that lack of production in the all-mighty C-USA would shy me away. That guy had 0 tackles for loss in the last 4 games of the year.

For my money, I think Cox or Still (if available) would be good fits if we deal with the Browns for #22. Otherwise, Reyes or Thompson will be available at #33. They could be options, if there's no other position BPA.
    ZiaRam likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Yes, Poe is a great workout warrior, but that lack of production in the all-mighty C-USA would shy me away. That guy had 0 tackles for loss in the last 4 games of the year.
    Maybe he was triple teamed, I don't know. I do know it worries me.

I remember watching Justin Smith at Mizzou. Basically every play they went to the other side and he was double teamed so his stats were pretty unimpressive. But if you watched him you knew what was happening. Maybe that's what was going on in Memphis. We'll see.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Do we really need an "interior penetrator," Nick? I feel that the Rams need a big sloppy guy who will command the center and guard to double him, which will free up Long and Quinn on the outside more often. While I'm all for being able to push the pocket in the center, I think we are more in need of a guy who will plug holes and let our playmakers make plays. We have Long, Quinn, Laurinaitis, and Stewart who made things happen last year and would all benefit from a little less attention being able to be placed on them.

Put me down in the Brockers and Poe camp. I want a big guy well over 300lbs.
    Yes, I do think we need an interior penetrator. But we could also use a run stuffer. Would it be too much to ask for both?

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post

I remember watching Justin Smith at Mizzou. Basically every play they went to the other side and he was double teamed so his stats were pretty unimpressive. But if you watched him you knew what was happening. Maybe that's what was going on in Memphis. We'll see.
    That's a fair point, but what little video online I've been able to find on Poe has not particularly impressed me.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post

Certainly a possibility.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

No, Nick, it's not too much to ask for. And between free agency and the draft we might pick up one of each, depending on his views of our current tackles. The nice thing about the big guys, however, is that if he gets a good step and gets past the double team, he tends to cause a mess back around the QB.
    I believe!

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Im really impressed by Cox and I recently seen how Mr. Warren Sapp gave him his endorsement as a player who reminds him of himself, witch is a heck of a compliment!!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Long and Quinn are shut out? Long had 13 sacks and Quinn had 5 in limited playing time... seems pretty good to me. Plus you're "big guys in the middle" (Robbins and Bannan) Robbins is horrible. He should retire, while Bannan is average. If we had a monster in the middle to stop the run and free up Laurinaitis than we could go after a penetrator like Jason Jones or Fletcher Cox. I like Cox as a run stopper too though. Add some weight (10-15 lbs) and some coaching and he should be solid. That'll make up for the pass rush of Bannan.
    Watch the games again. Of course Long had 13 sacks, but he would have had ALOT more if we had a inside penetrator. The QB would just step up the majority of the time, and Long and Quinn were just deflected to the outside, deeming them useless.

Robbins was pretty bad this year, but if he played like he did last season, Long would have had at least 15-16 sacks, if not more.

And Bannan is average? Because if I correctly remember, you're one of Bannan's bigger supporters on this board.

And also, a big bodied player to take on players is found in more abundance than a quality penetrator on the inside. I would rather us look for a young inside penetrator in the draft rather than try to find an older, slower guy in FA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    You make a very valid point here, however with how poorly we performed in run stopping this year,I can't justify getting a quick penetration guy. To me we need mass. We had a good run stopping defense the first year we brought in Robbins, but you can see that his age caught up with him this year. To me that says, get young big defensive tackle and our run stopping production increases. In an ideal world what we need is one penetrating tackle and one run stopper. For those reasons I am in the Poe and Brockers camp, since I feel that with Fisher we have a guy that can get the most out of linemen
    IMO, one of the reasons why our run defense was bad is because of crappy OLB play. Besides Laurinaitis, our other linebackers were very mediocre. You could loop that into the idea that our DT's were bad, but I think it was also because our OLB's are/were just not very good.

And like I told Sosa, I would rather us get a young inside penetrator that can grow and develop with Quinn and Long into fearsome passers and get a big guy in FA, rather than the other way around.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Watch the games again. Of course Long had 13 sacks, but he would have had ALOT more if we had a inside penetrator. The QB would just step up the majority of the time, and Long and Quinn were just deflected to the outside, deeming them useless.

Robbins was pretty bad this year, but if he played like he did last season, Long would have had at least 15-16 sacks, if not more.

And Bannan is average? Because if I correctly remember, you're one of Bannan's bigger supporters on this board.

And also, a big bodied player to take on players is found in more abundance than a quality penetrator on the inside. I would rather us look for a young inside penetrator in the draft rather than try to find an older, slower guy in FA.
    I've always liked Bannan, but hes nothing more than average. A decently big body, ok run stuffer, offers no pass rush and collapsing the pocket ability. To me this off season is perfect to go find the "penetrator" 4-3 DT type of guy. We can look to the draft like you said, Cox would be my favourite option there. But I'd also look very heavily into the FA market at Jason Jones. He's as good as a pass rushing DT as you'll find.

And I agree. Had we been able to collapse the pocket with guys like Suh and Ngata, Long would have had probably 20+ sacks.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I've always liked Bannan, but hes nothing more than average. A decently big body, ok run stuffer, offers no pass rush and collapsing the pocket ability. To me this off season is perfect to go find the "penetrator" 4-3 DT type of guy. We can look to the draft like you said, Cox would be my favourite option there. But I'd also look very heavily into the FA market at Jason Jones. He's as good as a pass rushing DT as you'll find.

And I agree. Had we been able to collapse the pocket with guys like Suh and Ngata, Long would have had probably 20+ sacks.
    I personally never liked Bannan, but he performed a lot better than Robbins last season. I prefer Gary Gibson over both of them.

It'd be great if we can land Jason Jones, but we seem to have very little success with defensive linemen producing from FA. Actually...we have very little success in landing ANY linemen that will perform up to par in the FA. Sigh...

Cox would be a solid option. He's lighter, and has the agility to shoot up the gap. However, with a lighter Under Tackle, we need a solid Nose, and I feel like there's a couple good options later in the draft also.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I think it is harder to find a penatrating DT then a Run stuffing DT. The big sloppy DT's can be found later in the draft.
    What the Rams draft depends on free agency.
    I like the free agent DT Jason Jones.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12