Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Why the 2012 Rams Draft was a success !!!!!!!!!!!

richtree is offline Registered User

Why the 2012 Rams Draft was a success !!!!!!!!!!!

Last year the day after the draft I wrote a long post about why the Rams draft was a failure. This year I think the organization did everything possible to add as many positives to their team. Lets take a quick look at the picks and positives vs. negatives....

#1 Michael Brockers -- This guy is a top DT and the Rams organization realized that we needed multiple needs and traded down to get both substance and volume. Obviously, the new rookie cap rules greatly helped the new front office in the process but the Rams were proactive rather than reactive. Brockers will be an impact player that fits our team system.

#2 Brian Quick -- I really, really love this pick for the Rams. I thought AJ Jenkins was our target but he didn't last. Fisher said he was blown away by his workouts. The more video you watch on him you see how great he is in the run game and how he will be an impact player immediately.

#3 J. Jenkins and T.Johnson -- Football players on defense don't have to be choir boys. This is something that is a fine line. Bad character is one thing, but desire to play football comes from within. These 2 guys are impact defenders in a pass happy league and both of them play the game like it is the only thing that matters in life....

#4 Isaiah Pead -- We didn't wait for Brian Westbrook, or Cadilac Williams, or reach for Dbacks late when we need youth in the backfield. This guy will be needed more than ever with SJax getting older and Pead can return kicks if needed.

#5 Chris Givens -- We wanted this guy from Round 2 and we stole him late in the draft. He is made to play flanker and can complete with Steve Smith and learn the WCO from him. He has a moto that makes catches in all quadrants of the field and makes alot of tough catches even against taller CBs.

#6 Rokeviouis Watkins -- A HUGE guy that can compete at guard and could fill in at Tackle if really needed. This guy

#7 Greg Zuerlein -- Being proactive and getting a kicker to save money, time, and headaches with a guy that was overpaid and losing is long foot

#8 Brown/Richardson/UDFAs -- We can guys with heart and football traits...We got our UDFA's quick, that shows we stayed in touch and got the guys we want here...We got our Punter and lots of depth at CB, OL, OLB

Positives -- We have a new feeling of talent in the building and a sense of desire that wasn't here with the last staff. We got the guys we wanted, and tried not to find guys and force them into our system. The new Rams will be excited from day one and every player will have to compete to earn their role because of the talent flowing in everyday.

Q: WHO BENEFITS THE MOST FROM THIS DRAFT?
    A: LAST YEARS DRAFT CLASS

WHY -- Pettis will be great in 4 WR sets and Kenricks will get open more with Pead and Quick being threats on the other side of the field.

Lastly, Quinn and Long will become a great tandem with Brockers NOW demanding attention in the middle.

I know the rookie pay scale is changed, but it is soooo easy to see how an off-season should take place....

Rams offseason grade: A-

The only reason this isn't an A is because the Rams still have questions at offensive line and safety....The could move up or down based on that. Also, Quick, Smith and Givens are all upgrades but unless they show up on Sunday, Rams fans will want another RB and another 1st Round WR next season....either way
    Last edited by richtree; -04-30-2012 at 11:53 AM.
    Nick, THOLTFAN81 and Rambunctious like this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Why the 2012 Rams Draft was a success !!!!!!!!!!!

Like the optimism. I think its warranted.

thermobee is offline Registered User

The only think I disagree with is the Safety need. I thought Stewart and Mikell were fine and were not the main cause for the failures of the defense last year.
    viper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by thermobee View Post
    The only think I disagree with is the Safety need. I thought Stewart and Mikell were fine and were not the main cause for the failures of the defense last year.
    Indeed, I agree --but safety depth as well as ceiling will probably be a need next season..

Rambos is offline Registered User

i like the write up and agree with thermobee on safety... I think we really have a deep and very talented secondary IMO... OLB and OG are my two question marks, but like most of us we knew we would not fill every need.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    i like the write up and agree with thermobee on safety... I think we really have a deep and very talented secondary IMO... OLB and OG are my two question marks, but like most of us we knew we would not fill every need.
    agree!!!! we will but tons better....getting there each and every day

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Agree with it all except for your #6. Part of it at least... we can agree he's a huge guy. Seems like that's all we hear about him. Unfortunately, that's all i heard about Claude Terrell when Rams drafted him. I don't know the tape though, so #6 is entirely on faith in Fisher & Co. recognizing a beast and not a gentle giant.

Lastly, is he truly a guy that can swing to outside at tackle? draft prospect report I saw (sorry, don't know which it was) indicated he was very likely too slow for tackle in nfl. Opinions are dime a dozen though, so if anybody reading here has seen reports or indications otherwise, I'd be interested in reading it. my concern is depth at tackle.

Guard I'm not too worried about anymore, and center is covered with FA Wells. tackle depth has me anxious.

As for the overall draft opinion: agreed, success. Not all may agree with the strategy, but a strategy it was and I greatly respect that strategy.

RebelYell is online now Registered User

Johnson will likely move to safety. At CB he's a #4 or #5 option. At safety he likely starts halfway through the season.

Truck is offline Registered User

shower beers and ZiaRam like this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Johnson will likely move to safety. At CB he's a #4 or #5 option. At safety he likely starts halfway through the season.
    Exactly. This is what Charley Casserly said on Friday night after the draft about the Rams selecting Johnson. He's a Williams Cecil type DB, hits HARD!

Incidentally, the Rams drafted 3 of the top 4 sleepers on Scott Wright's Draft Countdown site. Brian Quick, Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson.

Great draft as this thread discusses. Of course time will tell. I'm really interested to see how Brian Quick develops because he could be better than Justin Blackmon once the entire offense including QB is factored into the equation. An how great will Brockers demanding attention in the middle of the D-Line be for Long and Quinn on the outside.

I did expect more attention for the O-Line. We may yet sign a FA or 2 before camp in my opinion.

Go Rams!
    Last edited by mde8352gorams; -04-30-2012 at 06:35 PM.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

This is an absolute breath of fresh air. A welcome one at that. Love me some optimism here at ClanRam.
    ZiaRam likes this.

I think they already asked Fisher about T.Johnson playing safety and coach said we brought him here to play cornerback (take it for what its worth)

RebelYell is online now Registered User

He has to say Johnson will play CB. Murphy and Fletcher are coming off injuries and the team isn't positive either guy will be ready for training camp. If either one isn't ready, Johnson will play CB until they are ready.

I like the undrafted kid from Eastern Kentucky Jeremy Caldwell to compete with Marquis Johnson as the dime back. I wouldn't be shocked at all if Matt Daniels and Johnson were our SS's by week 5.

Here's the key on Matt Daniels, scouts thought he would run a 4.6 in the forty so he wasn't invited to the combine. Then at the Duke pro-day he ran a 4.42. He was Duke MVP last year and received a vote for ACC defensive player of the year. Solid tackler who will struggle in pass coverage but don't most SS's? Darian Stewart stinks in run support, they need help especially with the depleted OLBers.

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    they need help especially with the depleted OLBers.
    We won't be running a base 4-3 that often on this defense now. Our main D will be the 4-2-5, which should make a great transition in today's pass happy league.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Vis
    Vis is offline Registered User

I'm just ready to grade the 2009 draft. I'll get to this one in a few years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast