Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Why didn't we do this? For a 6th round pick ??

Now why didn't we do this? A 6th round pick?

Texans trade 6th round pick to Denver for center Chris Myers
    By JOHN MCCLAIN
    Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle
    March 17, 2008, 4:32PM

The Texans finally have acquired the new starting center they have been looking for.

The Texans sent a sixth-round pick to Denver today for center Chris Myers, who started 11 games at center and five at guard last season.

Before completing the trade, the Texans agreed to a four-year, $11 million contract with Myers, including a $3 million signing bonus. He had to sign the contract with Denver before the trade could be completed.

“We feel real good about this trade,” general manager Rick Smith said. “Chris is a tough, smart player who should be an instant fit with us because he knows our system.”

Smith negotiated the new contract with Drew Rosenhaus. Because Myers was a third-year restricted free agent, the Texans could have signed him to an offer sheet and waited a week for Denver to match or accept the sixth-round pick, but a trade was easier and quicker.

Myers was available because veteran Tom Nalen is returning for his 15th season after missing the last 11 games last season because of an injury.

Myers, 6-5, 296, was a rookie in 2005, Gary Kubiak’s last season as the Broncos’ offensive coordinator.

“We know him, and we know what kind of player he is and what he stands for,” Kubiak said. “He’s young (26), and he’s tough as nails. He knows our system, and he knows our terminology.”

The Texans are going to utilize the Denver running game, which Myers has been playing for three years.

Myers is ticketed to be the starter. Steve McKinney, who is coming off major knee surgery, may have to redo his contract to stay on the roster. Like Myers, McKinney can play center or guard.

Myers played at the University of Miami with Texans right tackle Eric Winston.
    Last edited by Nick; -03-18-2008 at 02:54 AM. Reason: No links!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Why didn't we do this? For a 6th round pick ??

I think the Rams are considering moving Incognito to center.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Well, I'm just going to take a stab here, but he's a former sixth round pick with one year of starting experience filling in for an injured player. The Broncos let him walk despite the fact their starting center is 37 years old, which tells you how much they valued him, and probably the main reason this even makes sense for the Texans is the fact that Kubiak brought Denver's blocking scheme with him when he moved to the Texans.

I did a quick search and here's SI's scouting analysis from when he was drafted three years ago:
    "A consistent lineman on the college level, Myers lacks the top athleticism for the next level. And though he can only play in certain systems, the ability to be used at several spots up front and potentially as a long snapper could make him a valuable utility lineman in the NFL."

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

What exactly about Myers makes you think he was worth trading for? He's desirable to the Texans because they use Denver's offensive system.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Not to mention the fact that Kubiak might get the ear of Broncos management and the Rams might not.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

The only thing I could really add would be talking about how Kubiak and Shanahan are good friends, I mean, in Denver, Kubiak was a FOMS. If a good friend wanted to trade you a sixth round pick for a guy you thought was good but quite expendable, wouldn't you do it? The Colts two years ago had massive issues at the DT position, so he traded with his former team, the Bucs, who still employ to this day the DC that Dungy brought in, and respect Dungy a lot, for Booger McFarland. This is the same kind of thing.

As a side note, Tampa cheered almost as loud as Indy when they won the Super Bowl, that's how much the fans there still love him.

jquarando is offline Registered User

Looks like he is a zone blocker and I dont think we use the zbs.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Zone blocker vs. Power blocker.........that (among other reasons) is why we didn't do this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I guess it's in the Spin, he was a Starter for 16 games for the Broncos last year.

A 6th round pick is nothing and this guy could provide us depth at Center and Guard.

Spots we perennially need help with.

A 6th round pick is nothing

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    I guess it's in the Spin, he was a Starter for 16 games for the Broncos last year.

A 6th round pick is nothing and this guy could provide us depth at Center and Guard.

Spots we perennially need help with.

A 6th round pick is nothing
    Um.. it's not just the 6th round pick in play here, it's also the fact that he commanded an $11 million dollar contract. That's a lot of dough for a guy who DOESN'T necessarily fit our blocking scheme. We're probably better off saving that cap money for a guy who DOES fit out system.

WHAT SAY YE?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

.A 6th round pick is nothing
    Yet Houston was the only guy that gave him so much as a sniff, largely because they run the same offensive scheme there as they do in Denver. Myers is worth something to Houston because of his fit within their blocking scheme, but as a restricted free agent, not one other team was biting at that price tag.

RAMarkable,

You guys could be correct, I'm not a Capologist. I suspect there are a lot of factors other than the Dollar amount alone, only because that can be a complicated arena.

In regard to him not being able to play in a non-zone blocking scheme:
    This is what he did in his Senior Season at the U. of Miami - note the knockdowns and durability:

"He shifted to right guard in 2004 spring drills, but spent the season playing out of position at right tackle when injuries hit the UM front wall. Myers went on to post 62 knockdowns and allowed only 2.5 sacks for the season. He closed out his career with 38 consecutive starts."

NFL 2005 Draft: Pick Number two hundred 200 - Chris Myers, Denver Broncos

TekeRam is offline Registered User

RAMarkable,

You guys could be correct, I'm not a Capologist. I suspect there are a lot of factors other than the Dollar amount alone, only because that can be a complicated arena.

This is what he did in his Senior Season at the U. of Miami - note the knockdowns and durability:

"He shifted to right guard in 2004 spring drills, but spent the season playing out of position at right tackle when injuries hit the UM front wall. Myers went on to post 62 knockdowns and allowed only 2.5 sacks for the season. He closed out his career with 38 consecutive starts."
    Good research, and I agree that a sixth round pick generally is nothing, however, for a sixth round pick, that's a lot of money when there is concern that he can perform in your system, especially as a backup. Could he have been great for us, sure, but I think that considering that Denver has some line issues and that the guy who is coming back from injury is only a year or two away from retirement, this was probably a better trade for Denver than it seems right now.
    Last edited by TekeRam; -03-19-2008 at 08:48 AM.

chiguy is offline Registered User

I'm still not convinced that they'd make that trade with anyone but Denver. Just because Kubiak got a discount doesn't mean that we would too.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano

Tony, I'm missing something here. How does this attest to his ability in a power blocking scheme?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod