throwback week

djdeeznutz Guest

Question Why do the Rams want to move Witherspoon back to WLB?

I just do not understand the reasoning.

His "natural" position is WLB. But he does better as a MLB lets compare his best seasons WLB vs. MLB

WLB: (Panthers)

2004: 16g 103TK (85 solo), 3sacks, 1FF, 4 INTs
    2005: 15g 81TK (66solo), 2.5 sacks, 2 INTs

MLB: (Rams)

2006: 16g 116TK (102 solo), 3sacks 3FF
    2007: 16g 110TK (92 solo), 7 sacks 2FF

I though people said the if he is on the edge he could get to the QB faster but as a MLB he has way better sack #s

AARON CURRY:

Or do we just want somone big to plug up the whole?

Well Curry is 2 inches bigger and 7 pounds heavier. WOW BIG difference. We dont need Curry!

So why do the Rams want to move Witherspoon bak to WLB????????

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Why do the Rams want to move Witherspoon back to WLB?

You are comparing a young spoon in a different system where most of the tackles were being funneled to Dan Morgan, but he still put up pro bowl numbers on a top ranked defense. The Rams run defense has been consistently bad even with Spoon in the middle. His body obviously didn't hold up in the middle where he had many injuries. It is funny how you are completely disregarding this year, his worst year. WLB blitz way more in Spags Scheme in and Spoon will be perfect on the weak side where he can play sideline to sideline instead of being a clogger in the middle.

Curry may weigh 7 more pounds but he is more stout and powerfull. He could fill gaps and be a strong force in the middle.

I think you are totally off base on this one.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I would rather have Spoon playing WLB on the Rams. Most LB's weigh between 220 & 240. I would like the Rams to find MLB that weighs between 240 & 260 of corse with a killer instinct. If the Rams don't pick up a run stuffing DT , I don't think any LB will last long. Linebackers help support the Defencesive line.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    You are comparing a young spoon in a different system where most of the tackles were being funneled to Dan Morgan, but he still put up pro bowl numbers on a top ranked defense. The Rams run defense has been consistently bad even with Spoon in the middle. His body obviously didn't hold up in the middle where he had many injuries. It is funny how you are completely disregarding this year, his worst year. WLB blitz way more in Spags Scheme in and Spoon will be perfect on the weak side where he can play sideline to sideline instead of being a clogger in the middle.

Curry may weigh 7 more pounds but he is more stout and powerfull. He could fill gaps and be a strong force in the middle.

Totally agree.

Dominating D Guest

Very nice response. I agree 100%

Go Rams

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Couldn't have said it any better, beast. You 'da man.

WHAT SAY YE?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Spoon's 7 sacks can be attributed to his playing DE in the 2007. There were no better pass rushers on our roster, so he rushed the passer on obvious throwing downs.

djdeeznutz Guest

You made some EXTREMLY good points. But still the bad run defense is not Witherspoon's fault. It is the fault of our NT position. We do not have a true nose tackle.

About the Curry thing, im still not sold on taking a LB in the top 3 cuz there is better value like crabtree. or we could get better value than Curry and fill a need by taking Monroe..

Quote Originally Posted by Shan the Ram Man View Post
    I would rather have Spoon playing WLB on the Rams. Most LB's weigh between 220 & 240. I would like the Rams to find MLB that weighs between 240 & 260 of corse with a killer instinct. If the Rams don't pick up a run stuffing DT , I don't think any LB will last long. Linebackers help support the Defencesive line.
    Witherspoon is 240 pounds so he is in that range. And how does Witherspoon lack killer instinct?

Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    You made some EXTREMLY good points. But still the bad run defense is not Witherspoon's fault. It is the fault of our NT position. We do not have a true nose tackle.

About the Curry thing, im still not sold on taking a LB in the top 3 cuz there is better value like crabtree. or we could get better value than Curry and fill a need by taking Monroe..

Witherspoon is 240 pounds so he is in that range. And how does Witherspoon lack killer instinct?
    You can't completely blame the NT, Spoon was playing out of position and really wasn't playing to his strengths like he could on the weekside. Ryan wasn't a pro bowler, but he did a solid job. Ryan is a good fit in Spags scheme, and with a bigger clogger behind him the Run D will greatly improve.

djdeeznutz Guest

You can't completely blame the NT, Spoon was playing out of position and really wasn't playing to his strengths like he could on the weekside. Ryan wasn't a pro bowler, but he did a solid job. Ryan is a good fit in Spags scheme, and with a bigger clogger behind him the Run D will greatly improve.
    Yeah u bring up some really good points. Once people started saying draft Raji i kept saying Ryan will be fine good to see someone agree. But it just seemed like last year we did not have stability in with the NT. I cood be wrong cuz i live in NJ and i watched the Eagles and Giants games on TV where it was not stable. I went to the Jets games had bad seats lol.

But still when u say run stopping MLB please dont tell me u mean aaron curry. Cuz we are not drafting him there is more value above him in Crabtree and more Value + need in Monroe.

Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    Yeah u bring up some really good points. Once people started saying draft Raji i kept saying Ryan will be fine good to see someone agree. But it just seemed like last year we did not have stability in with the NT. I cood be wrong cuz i live in NJ and i watched the Eagles and Giants games on TV where it was not stable. I went to the Jets games had bad seats lol.

But still when u say run stopping MLB please dont tell me u mean aaron curry. Cuz we are not drafting him there is more value above him in Crabtree and more Value + need in Monroe.
    It doesn't necessarily have to be Curry, but he is definately an option. Curry is the the 2nd or 3rd rank prospect and is in Most experts top 5. He is a perfect mix of value and need. He is the top defensive prospect in the draft and MLB is a huge need. If we think he can't play MLB that definately decreases his value to us.

There are also a great bunch of FA LBs and the Rams should take a long look at every single one of them.

Dominating D Guest

It doesn't necessarily have to be Curry, but he is definately an option. Curry is the the 2nd or 3rd rank prospect and is in Most experts top 5. He is a perfect mix of value and need. He is the top defensive prospect in the draft and MLB is a huge need. If we think he can't play MLB that definately decreases his value to us.

There are also a great bunch of FA LBs and the Rams should take a long look at every single one of them.
    Some are hoping for Curry. I would be fine with that selection.

Go Rams

Chase the Eagles Fan Guest

MIKE linebacker generally put up better tackle totals than WILL or SAM linebackers because MIKES generally aren't ever taken off of the field...they're on the field more and thus have more opportunities to make more plays...