Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Why Draft OT with 2nd pick? NO Jake LONG !

Why would anyone want to draft a OT with the 2nd pick in the draft. There is no Jake Long that proved he deserved to be the first pick by not giving up a sack in 2 years if I remember correctly! You could trade down to #10 in draft and still get one of the top 4 OT's possible .
    There is no standout OT's. Consesses say Andre Smith is the best OT in draft. Andre Smith would make a great Gaurd. You could line him up next to Barron for a year.He could play at R-Gaurd for some experence. Barron is in his last year of contract next season.
    Michael Oher OT Mental Issues
    Jason Smith OT
    Eugene Monroe OT Best OT to me
    Trade down or go for something Esle. The Rams have 2 Starting OT's under contract right now.
    Draft Developmental OT in later rounds or wait to next year.

Chase the Eagles Fan is offline Registered User

Re: Why Draft OT with 2nd pick? NO Jake LONG !

IMHO...

You use a high draft pick like that on a player that plays an important position that is either and immediate or near future need...if there is a player that you know can fill that need for you and potentially play on a Pro Bowl level, why wait until the second and select a guy that your not sure about...everyone wants William Beatty in the second round...every team that need a tackle doesn't wanna use a first round pick on one because it's no fun....everybody thinks they can wait until the second round for William Beatty...well what if he's off the board (if Duane Brown can be selected in the first last year, there is no reason you can be sure Beatty won't be) then who? Jamon Meredith?

Oh yeah, thats great...coulda had your pick at whoever and now your forced into getting a guy that might not even start ever...but you would be forced to get him here because it will only get worse after that...Alex Boone? Xavier Fulton? C'mon...

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

The Rams need HELP everywhere not just OT. Some Positions the Rams need help in
    DT , DE , MLB , SS , C , TE , and back up QB
    If rams lose WR Holt $ 10 Million this year. A WR is needed.
    Pick the Best Available Player in Draft regardless of position.

Chase the Eagles Fan is offline Registered User

Sure...pay a guy $10 mil a year that you never even seen play in the NFL before to touch the ball 6 times a game...smh.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Shan the Ram Man View Post
    The Rams need HELP everywhere not just OT. Some Positions the Rams need help in
    DT , DE , MLB , SS , C , TE , and back up QB
    If rams lose WR Holt $ 10 Million this year. A WR is needed.
    Pick the Best Available Player in Draft regardless of position.
    The Rams still have Avery and Burton. A wide receiver would not be needed to the magnitude that some of the other positions are, including OT.

Weddle is offline Registered User

Just because we need a lot of players doesn't mean we should be ignoring the OT class. Of course it would be great to trade down, get more quality picks and strengthen the depth chart but top-line OTs are only really available in the top few picks.

With the total overhaul of the coaches, but the constant of Billy Devaney, we have to have confidence that our talent evaluation has improved and we are in a better position to build for the next few seasons. Devaney is good at what he does, and will have been with us just over one year once the draft comes round. The qualities (team etc...) emphasized by the new staff will make the bedrock of our draft day strategy and hopefully this will see the Rams reborn anew!

thoey is offline Registered User

Why would anyone want to draft a OT with the 2nd pick in the draft. There is no Jake Long that proved he deserved to be the first pick by not giving up a sack in 2 years if I remember correctly! You could trade down to #10 in draft and still get one of the top 4 OT's possible .
    There is no standout OT's. Consesses say Andre Smith is the best OT in draft. Andre Smith would make a great Gaurd. You could line him up next to Barron for a year.He could play at R-Gaurd for some experence. Barron is in his last year of contract next season.
    Jason Smith OT
    Trade down or go for something Esle. The Rams have 2 Starting OT's under contract right now.
    It takes two to tango. Who do we trade with? Who has that glaring a need to jump and what do they offer? While I would love to see us trade down, I just don't see anyone coming up with a viable partner.
    This space for rent...

Weddle is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    It takes two to tango. Who do we trade with? Who has that glaring a need to jump and what do they offer? While I would love to see us trade down, I just don't see anyone coming up with a viable partner.
    I agree. I can't see who would really want to trade up. The top-end OTs dominate the class this year and that in itself surely means we won't want to trade down!??

Teams might trade up to #2 for Crabtree (above Seattle?) or Curry (above Kansas or Cleveland) but it's unlikely.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Last year at this time, there were plenty of "experts" who argued that Jake Long was not worth a top 5 pick.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Jason Smith OT
    Could not agree with you more. The Rams will not address every need in this years draft so if we can get a great value at another position and the so called Beatty is gone then we still have Pace and Barron. We look at Guards and Center position and worry about Tackle in next years draft or Free Agency.

KappaSig is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Last year at this time, there were plenty of "experts" who argued that Jake Long was not worth a top 5 pick.
    That is true, but do any of these guys compare to jake? Jake's college career was very impressive and hard to beat. But then again im for BPA all the way when rebuilding.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Well, you know, that's just like your opinion, man. Not everyone is going to think that getting any one of the top four OTs is fine. We, the armchair GMs, might have all of them near the top, but when the scouts get to really breaking down the college film and whatnot, they might put these guys further apart than they appear in the mock drafts.

diehard99 is offline Registered User

QUESTION: If Oher slid all the way to our #34 pick, should we take him ? assuming we hadnt already taken a tackle with the first pick. Most national mock's have the top 4 OT's gone in the first round - but what if.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

There is no Jake Long that proved he deserved to be the first pick by not giving up a sack in 2 years if I remember correctly!
    Quote Originally Posted by KappaSig View Post
    That is true, but do any of these guys compare to jake? Jake's college career was very impressive and hard to beat. But then again im for BPA all the way when rebuilding.
    People seem to be reinventing history when it comes to Jake Long, considering last year at this time, Jake Long was a borderline top five pick in the eyes of many. For a long time, many draft predictions saw him going fifth overall to Kansas City. He didn't really rise up to being a contender for the top pick until much later in the process. He also had a number of questions as a prospect last year, such as whether he was a franchise-type left tackle at the pros. More than a few saw him as a good left tackle but an outstanding right tackle.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

From what I can gather, Virginia's Eugene Monroe did not allow a sack in 2007 or 2008. By my count that's two years. The entire Virginia OL gave up 16 sacks this season and Monroe won the award for the nation's best blocking lineman.

Michael Oher did not allow a sack this season, Andre Smith allowed one, and I can't find anything on Jason so maybe someone can help me out, but baylor did score its most points in 11 seasons in 2008.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shan
    I think the problem here lies in the comparison. The very fact that there are potentially four top 10 OT's this year suggests that when making comparison, draftniks will be inclined to scrutinize these players more heavily sheerly because of the competition they face. It's obvious that player 'x' won't be as good as player 'y' in particular areas of the game, and where player 'y' falters, 'x' will succeed. As a result, you get the following kinds of opinions floating about. None of these are specific quotes, but I feel they are representative of consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by Amateur Draft Analyst #1
    Eugene Monroe struggles against the pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amateur Draft Analyst #2
    Jason Smith is a project
    Quote Originally Posted by Amateur Draft Analyst #3
    Michael Oher takes plays off
    Quote Originally Posted by Amateur Draft Analyst #4
    Andre Smith is too slow and would be better at guard.
    And finally,

Quote Originally Posted by Amateur Draft Analysts #1, #2, #3 and #4
    There is no clear cut number one pick
    I like to think the reality of the situation is much different. Eugene Monroe does lag a little against the pass, but that doesn't stop him from being very good at protecting the quarterback. When you have really good pass protectors like Smith and Oher in this class, the difference is magnified to the extent where it is blown out of proportion and an inaccurate perception is created.

Jason Smith is probably more green than the other top four OT's but has the raw physical tools to allow him to become a dominant OT. This does not make him a 'project' player. It appears that candidates like Monroe are probably more NFL ready at this point in time, but this is not to stop Smith from coming in and making an immediate and lasting impact.

When it all boils down, Michael Oher is not as consistent as the other three OT's. When he's on, he is probably the best overall tackle in this class, but there is a downside to his play. This does not mean that he 'takes plays off'. It means that in comparison to the other projected top 10 picks, Oher is inconsistent and his technique and motor could be improved. Yet he remains a top 10 candidate. Most interesting, no?

And finally, Andre Smith. The knock on Smith is that as good a tackle as he is, he might be too slow to make the transition to success in the Pro's and is therefore a better candidate as a guard. I'd like to see anyone who weighs 340 pounds move as fast as he does. He may not be as athletic as the other prospects, who, for what it's worth, play at 315lbs (Monroe) 300lbs (J. Smith) and 320lbs (Oher), but he remains a strong top 10 candidate.

IMO, these sort of comparisons stimulate a biased and often incorrect perception of the top 4 OT's and it's unfair to critique them as harshly as they are on the basis of "Oh, Oher can do that better".
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -02-06-2009 at 12:45 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast