Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vinnie25

Thread: Why a Guard at 16 WOuld Make Sense

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Why a Guard at 16 WOuld Make Sense

First of all, many thought Chance Warmack was the surest star in the draft, the best football player in college, at least in this draft.

Let's say you pass on WR and take Warmack, even though you like Rok Watkins.

You have solidified your entire O-line unit more than you know.

The first think one must remember is that Harvey Dahl is not some 6-2 fireplug at guard. He starred at TACKLE in college, and was drafted listed as such.

Having an "extra" solid guard means if Saffold goes down, Dahl switches to RT, and it eliminates the need for another OT If Long gets hurt, Saffold goes to LT and Dahl is available at RT if it's a long term deal.

Watkins gets time to develop, and is a really good backup you have confidence in.

After next year, if Watkins really looks ready, you can switch Dahl outside, at a far lower cost than signing Saffold or a free agent RT, and then draft a RT in the 1st round to step in.

I just have a feeling signing Saffold, not a Fisher /Snead draftee, is going to be hard, and I doubt they would franchise him, with two first rounders to work with in getting a tackle (Jake Mathews?)

They like Smith and Barksdale as prospects and will probably draft a center somewhere, maybe earlier than one thinks.

But plugging in a pro bowl caliber guard is a perfect missing puzzle piece that solidifies the whole shebang

After 2014 you are done with Dahl , and that tackle you drafted is ready to start.

Then you hope you get lucky with undrafted or late round guy that might beat out Smith, Barksdale, or even Watkins.

Barry Waller

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Re: Why a Guard at 16 WOuld Make Sense

I agree, if Warmack is there at 16 the Rams should definitely get him. I'd even want the Rams to grab Cooper at 16; he's not the same run blocker as Warmack is but he's better in pass protection and is more versatile.
    jerseyramsfan likes this.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I think the plan of drafting Warmack/Cooper @ 16 to start at left guard while Watkins continues to develop makes a lot of sense.

Regardless of whether Dahl shifts to RT or simply moves on as a free agent, there will be a hole at right guard in the next two years, I'd imagine. Dahl turns 32 this year, and probably will not get another contract from this regime, if he even finishes out his current one.

Watkins could be groomed to fill that hole, while Warmack/Cooper step in from Day One and fill the current one on the left side. And if Watkins doesn't develop as some think he will, then that can be addressed at that time.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    I agree, if Warmack is there at 16 the Rams should definitely get him. I'd even want the Rams to grab Cooper at 16; he's not the same run blocker as Warmack is but he's better in pass protection and is more versatile.
    You hit the nail on the head... Nice job...