Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Why I think Devaney prefers Bradford to Clausen

I think what we're witnessing here is a repeat of what happened last year with Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe. Obviously comparing OT to QB is a stretch because it's a whole other beast, but I believe a similar debate was ongoing between the Smith fans and the Monroe fans last year.

Jason Smith was not a five star recruit when he arrived at Baylor and they actually expected him to be their future TE. He played in a two point stance in college (not the three point stance OTs play in the NFL) meaning he had to transition as a pro and get comfortable in that regard. He had a ton of raw ability and untapped potential that scouts saw and he played with great passion and fire. For those who watched interviews of him prior to and after the draft, it was apparent he was quite the character and very serious about becoming a great pro. Eugene Monroe, on the other hand, was the heir apparent to D'Brickashaw Ferguson and he was a top recruit coming out of high school, so it was something he was preparing for his entire life. He played in the traditional three point stance and excelled in pass protection but many had doubts about his power and strength to anchor the running game. In comparison to Smith, he was much more NFL ready and could play from day one. However, there was also questions about how much further he could develop and Smith was generally viewed as the OT with the higher ceiling.

I think Devaney is leaning towards Bradford for the same reason he liked Smith. He's projecting what each could be as an NFL starter, and it sounds like he prefers Bradford to Clausen at this point. If Devaney wanted the polished, NFL ready player who played in a pro-style formation, he would've taken Monroe last year without even blinking an eye. Yet, he envisioned Smith as the better player once he gets the opportunity to develop and grow into a true OT at the NFL level. He sees Bradford as the better pro once he develops fully under center and spends every waking hour working in a pro style offense. That's why I laugh when analysts or fans say we made a "safe" selection last year because if we truly wanted to be safe we would've selected Monroe and not Smith. Jason was the one with more question marks and we drafted him with the assumption he would develop all of his raw skills and become an elite OT. I believe Devaney sees the same with Bradford (and that's no knock on Clausen), he sees a player with elite intangibles and a physical skill set that translates well to our offense. Bradford wasn't highly recruited much like Smith and he had to beat the odds just to become a starter at Oklahoma (many thought he was the third favourite to win the job back in '07) but he ended up doing much more. Clausen was the "LeBron James of football" when he arrived at Notre Dame and he knew he would be the starting QB soon enough ala Monroe. Again, I know comparing OT to QB is a bit of a stretch, but I see similar qualities and coincidences this year like we had last year with Smith vs. Monroe. I'm only offering an opinion and reasoning as to why I believe Devaney seems to be leaning Bradford instead of Clausen. In no way am I saying Bradford has more passion or dedication for football than Clausen, I'm merely suggesting what Devaney might see after he's gathered information on the two.

I bolded one part in particular because I don't want to hear from Clausen fans something along the lines of "You're saying Clausen doesn't fit well with our offense!?" because that isn't what I'm implying in the least. I'm just saying that Devaney believes Bradford possesses the higher ceiling once he harnesses all of his ability and exerts it into a pro-style offense.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

Re: Why I think Devaney prefers Bradford to Clausen

That certainly could (and probably is) a factor in the reckoning. I think its more so that the talking heads up top just think, and i would agree, that Bradford will become a better football player. He has everything Clausen has and more besides a never injured shoulder.

Once again with the shoulder however, the guy got his surgery froma league wide renknowned surgeon and has gotten that thumbs up from every scrutinizing physical examiner they've been able to throw at him and passd with flying colors. On top of that, Bradford supposedyl has one of the most treatable and least recurring effects having injury you can get. we've actually seen the results of a repaired shoulder with Brees who's injury was roughly twice as bad as Bradfords'.

Bradford has everything you want in a QB so why wouldn'y you draft him.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    I think what we're witnessing here is a repeat of what happened last year with Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe. Obviously comparing OT to QB is a stretch because it's a whole other beast, but I believe a similar debate was ongoing between the Smith fans and the Monroe fans last year.

Jason Smith was not a five star recruit when he arrived at Baylor and they actually expected him to be their future TE. He played in a two point stance in college (not the three point stance OTs play in the NFL) meaning he had to transition as a pro and get comfortable in that regard. He had a ton of raw ability and untapped potential that scouts saw and he played with great passion and fire. For those who watched interviews of him prior to and after the draft, it was apparent he was quite the character and very serious about becoming a great pro. Eugene Monroe, on the other hand, was the heir apparent to D'Brickashaw Ferguson and he was a top recruit coming out of high school, so it was something he was preparing for his entire life. He played in the traditional three point stance and excelled in pass protection but many had doubts about his power and strength to anchor the running game. In comparison to Smith, he was much more NFL ready and could play from day one. However, there was also questions about how much further he could develop and Smith was generally viewed as the OT with the higher ceiling.

I think Devaney is leaning towards Bradford for the same reason he liked Smith. He's projecting what each could be as an NFL starter, and it sounds like he prefers Bradford to Clausen at this point. If Devaney wanted the polished, NFL ready player who played in a pro-style formation, he would've taken Monroe last year without even blinking an eye. Yet, he envisioned Smith as the better player once he gets the opportunity to develop and grow into a true OT at the NFL level. He sees Bradford as the better pro once he develops fully under center and spends every waking hour working in a pro style offense. That's why I laugh when analysts or fans say we made a "safe" selection last year because if we truly wanted to be safe we would've selected Monroe and not Smith. Jason was the one with more question marks and we drafted him with the assumption he would develop all of his raw skills and become an elite OT. I believe Devaney sees the same with Bradford (and that's no knock on Clausen), he sees a player with elite intangibles and a physical skill set that translates well to our offense. Bradford wasn't highly recruited much like Smith and he had to beat the odds just to become a starter at Oklahoma (many thought he was the third favourite to win the job back in '07) but he ended up doing much more. Clausen was the "LeBron James of football" when he arrived at Notre Dame and he knew he would be the starting QB soon enough ala Monroe. Again, I know comparing OT to QB is a bit of a stretch, but I see similar qualities and coincidences this year like we had last year with Smith vs. Monroe. I'm only offering an opinion and reasoning as to why I believe Devaney seems to be leaning Bradford instead of Clausen. In no way am I saying Bradford has more passion or dedication for football than Clausen, I'm merely suggesting what Devaney might see after he's gathered information on the two.

I bolded one part in particular because I don't want to hear from Clausen fans something along the lines of "You're saying Clausen doesn't fit well with our offense!?" because that isn't what I'm implying in the least. I'm just saying that Devaney believes Bradford possesses the higher ceiling once he harnesses all of his ability and exerts it into a pro-style offense.
    You bring up some fair points, but may be overthinking it. It's entirely possible that Devaney prefers Bradford because Devaney simply views Bradford as the superior prospect.

I've seen three separate reports that suggest Clausen's stock isn't where many fans or draftniks think it is. To name a few, (1) Casserly reported that, of teams he spoke to at the combine, Bradford was the unanimous top QB; (2) Daniel Jeremiah of Move the Sticks says no team he's talked to has a Top 10 grade on Clausen, and (3) Adam Caplan of Scout.com reported earlier this month that multiple teams don't even have a first round grade on the guy.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    That certainly could (and probably is) a factor in the reckoning. I think its more so that the talking heads up top just think, and i would agree, that Bradford will become a better football player. He has everything Clausen has and more besides a never injured shoulder.

Once again with the shoulder however, the guy got his surgery froma league wide renknowned surgeon and has gotten that thumbs up from every scrutinizing physical examiner they've been able to throw at him and passd with flying colors. On top of that, Bradford supposedyl has one of the most treatable and least recurring effects having injury you can get. we've actually seen the results of a repaired shoulder with Brees who's injury was roughly twice as bad as Bradfords'.

Bradford has everything you want in a QB so why wouldn'y you draft him.
    I'm not saying it isn't true, but I haven't seen anything specifically about this one way or the other. Can you point me to an article or something?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    I'm not saying it isn't true, but I haven't seen anything specifically about this one way or the other. Can you point me to an article or something?
    The only thing to my knowledge is...

Bradford has been given physicals by a number of NFL teams. When I asked him about those, he told me he has “passed with flying colors.”
    Per Gil Brandt on NFL.com. We've heard nothing to the contrary, which is usually good.

Again though, my issue isn't "Can he pass a physical now?" but rather "Is he going to be able to hold up to the punishment of the NFL?"

Being healthy at present or having his shoulder check out now doesn't answer the latter question, and just because "league wide renowned surgeon" James Andrews was your doctor doesn't mean you can't get injured in some fashion again down the road. Just ask Chad Pennington.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I think the "upside' argument can be made for any of the top four candidates. Bradford has the Hollywood central casting profile of an NFL QB. Suh was the most successful/impactful individual player. Mccoy arguably best fits Spags preferred profile of a versatile NFL DT. Clausen has already demonstrated physical & mental fortitude in a pro-style offense.

And now The Rams have scheduled a private workout for Bradford on April 12th. Which way will the pundits spin that? Are they already sure he's their guy & don't care who knows it? Are there lingering doubts about the injury thing? Is it a smokescreen to induce trade offers & they aren't slamdunk sure about any of them & would prefer more picks ? Who knows.

The Optimistic Lamb Guest

I could see the Rams trying to scare up some draft picks this year by playing up this Bradford thing. Last season the Rams actually sent Sanchez a plane ticket, but didn't pick him. But whatever the truth really is, I think the Rams are going to wait until the last possible moment on draft day in hopes of a trade.