throwback week

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    RockinRam is offline Registered User

Why I think Sam Bradford should be our guy

First off, I am not an Oklahoma Sooner fan. On the contrary, I am a UT (Texas) fan, which makes it quite of a surprise that I like Bradford so much.

Now let's get down to business.

In this opinionated argument, I'm not going to harp on Suh. I'm going to stay closely to Bradford.

Okay, first point.

Devaney and Spags are trying to remake this franchise into their own philosophy and dynasty. In order to do that, they need a "fresh" start. And by fresh start it means setting the future for the most important position the field. The QB. In this perspective, ignoring everything else, Sam Bradford comes in to this team giving the Rams a new identity. It's the start of a new decade, and it should be the start of a new decade of Ram's football. We ended the last decade on a horrible note, stats wise, and it's time to start anew. Bradford coming in gives us that fresh start. No matter what people say about Suh, a fresh QB gives fans and the organization a much needed rejuvinator than a DT would ever give.

Second point

We are trying to run a West Coast Offense. And by what that means, we are not going to be consistently running huge pass plays, pass plays that require 50 yard bombs. We are running a timing offense, backed by a ground and pound running game led by Steven Jackson.

And Sam Bradford would excel in our offense. Why you ask?

Because,

1) Bradford excels in the short and medium pass routes. His accuracy in these departments are spot-on elite, and he has enough zip to be solid in the WCO.

2) He knows how to develop timing with his receivers. That is why the 2008 Oklahoma offense was so prolific. Bradford's timing with his receivers was insane. He is an amazingly smart QB who has great touch, feel, and timing to win in the NFL.

That is why he would succeed in our offense. A WCO is based on timing between the QB and WR, and Bradford would wreck havoc once he gets the timing down with our young WR's.

Third point

More of why Bradford is a close to perfect fit for our scheme.

Bradford is not a gun-slinger. That's been determined. He has above average arm strength, but he is by no means a Derek Anderson-Jamarcus Russell type QB.

But that's better for Bradford. You know why?

Because I would take a precision QB over a gun-slinging QB anyday of the week.

Let's compare Bradford and other similar QB's (For example a young Marc Bulger) to a sniper. A sniper is patient, he doesn't make foolish decisions. He intelligently picks his target, and once he does, he delivers to his target with precision and timing. Snipers excel.

Quarterbacks like Derek Anderson and Jamarcus Russell are gun-slingers. They can be compared to a shotgun. Shotguns aren't very accurate, and they spray bullets/passes hoping that one of them hits the intended target. Sometimes they do, and it looks wonderful. But most of the times, it's off target. Shotguns pack a powerful punch. But shotguns don't always excel.

We don't need a shotgun for our WCO. We need a sniper. With our constantly improving O-Line, a field general like Bradford should excel. That brings us onto our fourth point.

Fourth point

People argue that a rookie QB would get bageled behind our O-Line. But they are misinterpreting our O-Line just because our O-Line ended the season on a bad note. But it was to be expected. We had ONE healthy starter playing, which was Alex Barron. Jason Brown was playing, but he was not fully 90-100%. We had Goldberg, Greco, Allen III, and Trautwein in. No wonder Null and Boller got banged up.

If we have our full line back, it's really quite good.

* Jason Smith should claim our LT spot for at least 12 years.

* Jacob Bell is a good pass protector, and once he bulks up more, should be a bigger factor in the run game.

* Jason Brown is a mauler and a great line general at center.

* Right guard is unsure of as of right now. Greco is a suitable starter.

* Right tackle is also unsure of. Barron might claim this spot.

Fifth point

A good offense wins games.

And I know what you're thinking. "Rockin! A good defense wins games!"

They win games too.

But, if our offense consistently goes 3 and out, it doesn't matter if we have Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Darelle Revis, and Darnell Dockett on our defense. They're going to wear out sometime.

A good offense capable of scoring points and staying on the field helps a defense out greatly. When you have points on the board, it takes a lot of pressure of the defense. On the other hand, if your weary and tired defense is trying desperately to keep the team in the game when you're already down 3-27, that's a different story.

Our offense was pathetic last year, and with the addition of Bradford, and new targets, plus the improvement in our WR corps, our offense should be up and running this next season.

Misc. Rants

Bradford's attitude fits this team. He is a confident, yet not cocky player. He is intelligent, unlike some other QB's. He has great work ethic, adding 15lbs. of muscle during the year, unlike other players who slack off after they are injured.

Bradford carries himself well. He is a mature person who has the ability to carry this franchise.

Conclusion

That's about it. Criticism, arguments are welcomed, but don't just come in here and state, "I have a bad feeling about Bradford. But I think Suh is going to be BEAST! Hoorah!"

If on draft day, we do draft Suh, I won't be complaining. I love the guy myself.

But to me, Bradford is the more logical choice if we are indeed building this franchise to succeed in the future.

~Rockin
    Last edited by RockinRam; -03-25-2010 at 11:26 PM.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Re: Why I think Sam Bradford should be our guy

First point: I agree in general that The Rams need a new QB. Dunno whether that HAS to be Bradford or that a new decade has anything to do with it. Could be Clausen, Colt McCoy, Tebow,et al. Depends on Despags' assessment of the individuals involved. The timing is right,imo, because of the other players already on offense. We are not going to get the best out of them without a new QB & may in fact hinder their development or waste their productivity.

Point two: Not sure that Bradford will take to the WCO like a duck to water.Even if the whole shotgun thing is exaggerated, it will be a transition for him. Can he remain accurate/timely under pressure and while having to take quick drops?

Can he improv on the run & take hits? Maybe he can but he didn't have to much in college & DID get hurt so assuming it is....well, an assumption.

Point three:I agree that we don't need a gunslinger but I do think a QB taken at #1 needs to be accurate on long throws as well as short/medium ones. Bradford's arm looks more than adequate & accurate to my amateur eyes.

Point 4: I agree that , if the starters remain reasonably healthy, the OL should progress nicely & be more than adequate to allow a new QB a chance to find his feet, especially with a good run game.

Conclusion: A non-QB might well be the Rams pick at #1. I still think it's more likely to be between Bradford and Clausen. Clausen's workout is on April 9. Bradford is scheduled for a private Rams workout on the 12th. Coinkydink? I think not. If neither gets the nod, I think it still could be Suh or Gerald McCoy or even a trade down but I'd be really upset if the next pick wasn't a QB or a deal for a FA didn't materialize PDQ. We need that new QB now,imo.

Drummerman1011 Guest

My thoughts exactly on Bradford. I really love the point of how a decent offense that doesn't go 3-and-out will help our defense out a ton.

punahou is offline Registered User

Haas Bradford ever been mentioned as a once in a decade, generation, eon, whatever, QB?

Do the Bradford supporters think Bradford will start and play every game his rookie year? or do they think He will be groomed for X years down the road?

Do Bradford supporters really feel that this guy will make an impact THIS year?

if not, why not wait for the next system QB and take a player that most feel is a once in a generation player--- as the next "Sam Bradford" will emerge in college this upcommng year.

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Haas Bradford ever been mentioned as a once in a decade, generation, eon, whatever, QB?

Do the Bradford supporters think Bradford will start and play every game his rookie year? or do they think He will be groomed for X years down the road?

if not, why not wait for the next system QB and take a player that most feel is a once in a generation player--- as the next "Sam Bradford" will emerge in college this upcommng year.
    Your right, screw the future! Lets get only players who can play next year!! lets trade all the draft picks we can for older players who can play next year!! awesome idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    First point: I agree in general that The Rams need a new QB. Dunno whether that HAS to be Bradford or that a new decade has anything to do with it. Could be Clausen, Colt McCoy, Tebow,et al. Depends on Despags' assessment of the individuals involved. The timing is right,imo, because of the other players already on offense. We are not going to get the best out of them without a new QB & may in fact hinder their development or waste their productivity.
    Yes, it doesn't have to be Bradford, but I would prefer it be Bradford then any other QB in this draft. I mean, a franchise QB has to be good right? IMO, Bradford is easily the top QB in this draft. Clausen isn't a bad choice either, but I just don't Clausen is up there with Bradford right now.

Agree with the timing part.

Point two: Not sure that Bradford will take to the WCO like a duck to water.Even if the whole shotgun thing is exaggerated, it will be a transition for him. Can he remain accurate/timely under pressure and while having to take quick drops?

Can he improv on the run & take hits? Maybe he can but he didn't have to much in college & DID get hurt so assuming it is....well, an assumption.

He has played under center before, so it isn't like this is a new thing for him. True he may be a "bit" rusty but I think he'll be fine.

He has moved around the pocket and been on the run during his college career, especially with playaction bootlegs, some pressure, etc. Bradford doesn't lose his accuracy while running.

Conclusion: A non-QB might well be the Rams pick at #1. I still think it's more likely to be between Bradford and Clausen. Clausen's workout is on April 9. Bradford is scheduled for a private Rams workout on the 12th. Coinkydink? I think not. If neither gets the nod, I think it still could be Suh or Gerald McCoy or even a trade down but I'd be really upset if the next pick wasn't a QB or a deal for a FA didn't materialize PDQ. We need that new QB now,imo.
    To me, I think it comes down to Bradfords Workout. If he performs even a little bit above average, I think we have our man. BUT, if he looks quite poor, and isn't the QB we all think he is, I think the FO might start considering Clausen and Suh again.

To me, I think that McCoy isn't in the discussion. It's between the 2 QB's and Suh.

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Did I ever once mention Bradford as a once in a decade, generation, eon, whatever, QB?

If I was Spags, I would not start him, but let him play some drives in every game. By around Week 7-8, he'll have the feel of the pro game, and then he can start.

Yes, he will make an impact in many ways.

* Gives our franchise new hope.
    * Gives fans hope.
    * Will solidify our QB questions for the next decade and a half.
    * Should efficiently be our field general.

And there's more, but I'm just giving you the short take on it.

Ehh, Sam Bradford was projected to go before Stafford and Sanchez. And Stafford and Sanchez are pretty darn good QBs, who both should be franchise QBs for their respective teams. And Bradford tops them both.

Bing69 is offline Registered User

I must admit im leaning toward liking Bradford over the last few days. He was rated higher than Stafford and Sanchez, who in their own right look like they'll have good careers with the Lions and Jets. If Spags and Devaney want a QB (which we dont even know yet) then Bradford would be the pick this year

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Did I ever once mention Bradford as a once in a decade, generation, eon, whatever, QB?
    Rockin, I think that might be the point that punahou was implying.........that implication being that nobody is calling Bradford that while some ARE calling Suh that.

I think that's all he was saying.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Rockin, I think that might be the point that punahou was implying.........that implication being that nobody is calling Bradford that while some ARE calling Suh that.

It was reported by the Cowboys writer for the Dallas newspaper that several offensive coordinators told HIM at the combine that Bradford was the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning. That would indicate SOME think he's a pretty decent / once in a decade type prospect.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

Actually, to stump that "Has Bradford been called once in a decade" bullcrap. He has been called by numerous scouts according to ESPN 101 "The best Quarterback prospect they've seen since Peyton Manning." I'm not sure where you can find that quote but i heard Jim Thomas saying that's what league scouts have been saying about Bradford. Maybe they haven't said that Bradford has specifically been called the best prospect in a decade but Manning was picked over 12 years ago....

Not to mention its harder to excel and truly be "elite" at QB than many other positions. Qb is the most important and is widely considered the hardest and most pressure filled job in football.

Suh is playing at a position where it is hard to make big plays but he got away a lot of times with just sheer dominating strength that, unless im mistaken, won't translate as well to the NFL. But the jury is still out on Suh and Bradford. I personally hope we go with Bradford.

EDIT: DAmn you REbelYell you frekin beat me to it by a few minutes T_T

Huh...if that was indeed what he was implying, my apologies.

But, even though Suh has been reported as a once in a decade DT, some scouts have called Bradford the most accuracte QB to come out in years.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    It was reported by the Cowboys writer for the Dallas newspaper that several offensive coordinators told HIM at the combine that Bradford was the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning. That would indicate SOME think he's a pretty decent / once in a decade type prospect.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinram
    But, even though Suh has been reported as a once in a decade DT, some scouts have called Bradford the most accuracte QB to come out in years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore
    He has been called by numerous scouts according to ESPN 101 "The best Quarterback prospect they've seen since Peyton Manning."
    That's great, fellas. I hope they're right, as it sounds (from the talking heads anyway) that Bradford will be a Ram. Understand, of course, I was merely translating what was being implied, not advocating.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

That's great, fellas. I hope they're right, as it sounds (from the talking heads anyway) that Bradford will be a Ram. Understand, of course, I was merely translating what was being implied, not advocating.
    True true. Killing the translator...

The Optimistic Lamb Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post

Second point

1) Bradford excels in the short and medium pass routes. His accuracy in these departments are spot-on elite, and he has enough zip to be solid in the WCO.

2) He knows how to develop timing with his receivers. That is why the 2008 Oklahoma offense was so prolific. Bradford's timing with his receivers was insane. He is an amazingly smart QB who has great touch, feel, and timing to win in the NFL.
    Bradford is very smooth and comfortable. But Bradford plays football in a vaccum, almost nothing touches him.

His offensive line was pretty darn good. Bradford was only sacked about 11 times a season, thats not even enough to get his clothes dirty. Our o-line gives up about 40 sacks a season. So how is Bradford gonna hold up when he is taking bigger hits more often???

I think there's more to be said for Jimmy Clausen, he got sacked 25 times this last season, yet still played at a high level.
    Last edited by The Optimistic Lamb; -03-26-2010 at 01:03 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast