Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Re: Why I think Sam Bradford should be our guy

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    Bradford is very smooth and comfortable. But Bradford plays football in a vaccum, almost nothing touches him.

His offensive line was pretty darn good. Bradford was only sacked about 11 times a season, thats not even enough to get his clothes dirty. Our o-line gives up about 40 sacks a season. So how is Bradford gonna hold up when he is taking bigger hits more often???

I think there's more to be said for Jimmy Clausen, he got sacked 25 times this last season, yet still played at a high level.
    This also comes back around to the debate on sacks. The Peyton Effect if you will, does the QB or the offensive line contribute more to giving up a sack? Now as a former offensive lineman, of course you have to be good up front, but as Peyton Manning has been showing, the QB can go a long way in avoiding sacks.

My point is, maybe Bradford is just a special type of QB who can read the blitz and understand his protection and realize how to avoid the sack. I'm no expert on OU's o line from last year, they had Loadholt iirc, so yeah they were good, but Bradford is good too.

When the Suh hype really gets me going and I'm sold on the beast that is House of Spears, I just remember a lot of people said Bradford would be a member of the Detroi Lions right now had he not gone back. So lets just say I really HOPE Bradford is a stud, cause its looking like he will be a Ram.

dave626 is offline Registered User
    Blog Entries

Imo, we need a QB for the now and future. The QB is Totally and Completely the most important position on the field. IF Bradford does well, and I hope he does, we HAVE to pick him because of the GREAT NEED at the position, provided Despags really value him that high and are not just trying to get someone to move up in the draft so we can move down, because teams will move up for a QB, not so sure about a DT,even one of Suhs caliber.Im not saying they wouldnt its just more likely to happen for a QB.

Im Bradford all day,and have been since the beginning of the offseason. QB imo is VITAL to our future success and the sooner we get him in and learning the better.

Good points on Bradford and lets hope we get him.

GO RAMS!!!

TheRammer Guest

Great points in everything you wrote there Rockin... I don't think I could disagree with any of those points you made or stated. The only thing that I want to ask is something I'm worried about is his long term health with us not just 5,6 or 10 games. I know he's put on muscle and looks good so far barring any Dr. or medical problems between now and then... but having had gone through shoulder issues and operations before myself it really isn't fun and sometimes it won't heal or repair properly ( at least maybe because my operating Dr. want Dr. Andrews) I agree 100% that QB is the most important position but his health concerns just trouble me where as Suh is a surefire thing. No questions..I have fallen in love with Suh but if Bradford does check out I know we should take him but would always want to know what Suh would of looked like in a Rams jersey throwing the opposing QB down like a rag doll with the stadium all echoing SUUHHHH!!!!

harrydog is offline Registered User

I'd be on the Bradford bandwagon 100% if it weren't for his injuries. His durability still has me worried, full recovery or not.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Thanks for all the opinions, and comments.

Concerning his durability, I think that there shouldn't be any major problems in the future, barring freak injuries.

The injuries that Bradford gotten were both freak unlucky ones. He just landed wrong. Now, it may have been due to his skinny frame, but that's been fixed. He's a much more solid guy now with the added bulk during the season.

Like I said, I don't think it should be a problem, but you never know.

To get a sack on the QB, many things have to go wrong. A combination of any of these factors or all of them may attribute to a sack:

1) Poor O-Line blocking

2) Inability of the QB to read the blitz

3) Cannot make the checkdown fast enough

4) WRs and TEs and other targets cannot get open

5) Just good play from the defense

So to me, there are a few reasons why we had 44 sacks given last season:

1) Our O-Line was injured and maimed by the end of the year, which the majority of sacks given up were being held place.

2) Our WRs were inexperienced, due to lack of NFL time and lack of full knowledge with the new offensive scheme.

3) Boller doesn't know how to throw the ball away.

4) Null was still a rookie coming out of West Texas A&M.

RamFan876 is offline Registered User

Bradford's injury history alone has to scare people. I'll hope for the best if they draft him but I have a few issues with the choice.

First, I believe that the Rams are too thin at skill positions to take a quarterback. The offense seemed to be progressing last year until Robinson's injury. That injury alone seemed to kill any offensive cohesion the Rams had been developing. When Jason Smith suffered a concussion, the season was truly over. Every single offensive position would have to stay healthy for Bradford to have any chance at success.

Next, I think that BPA should go out the window if they draft Bradford. The Rams should draft positions that increase his odds of success. WR, TE, T/G, etc. If Bradford is considered the future franchise player, surround him with talent that he can grow with.

The final issue is the adamant resolve of fans/the team to keep Steven Jackson. Jackson would most likely be in his 30s before Bradford is a solid player. He would probably end up like Edgerrin James and be cast aside before the team enjoys any real success. Does it not make sense to get picks/young talent and give Jackson a chance at a ring in his prime?

Please feel free to give opposing ideas or simply attack me. :-)

TakeSuh is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Huh...if that was indeed what he was implying, my apologies.

But, even though Suh has been reported as a once in a decade DT, some scouts have called Bradford the most accuracte QB to come out in years.
    blame that on the system he played and honestly why would you choose a quarterback who cannot take a hit (hits) who played for a coach who inflated his stats (stoops) and worst of all played for oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by TakeSuh View Post
    blame that on the system he played and honestly why would you choose a quarterback who cannot take a hit (hits) who played for a coach who inflated his stats (stoops) and worst of all played for oklahoma.
    A system doesn't really inflate your accuracy. It may inflate your stats, but accuracy and other QB attributes? Not likely. I mean, I can play QB for the 2008 OU team, and my accuracy would look like crud.

He can take hits. There were some games, I'm not going to go dig up stats, but he was getting hit all day. And he got up every single time. Bradford can take a pounding. I've watched him play.

I agree about the worst of all playing for Oklahoma part...

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Depending on the type of throws the system calls for, it can affect accuracy. If you run a system that has the vast vast majority of passes be high percentage shots, its likely your QB will have a higher completion percentage than he would in another system.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Depending on the type of throws the system calls for, it can affect accuracy. If you run a system that has the vast vast majority of passes be high percentage shots, its likely your QB will have a higher completion percentage than he would in another system.

True true. Some plays they ran did affect that, like some quick slants and screens, but Bradford knows how to squeeze balls into tight windows. He's very effective at that.

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Re: Why I think Sam Bradford should be our guy

Great post, Rockin, from a fellow 'Horn

BigGameTH is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post

Second point

We are trying to run a West Coast Offense. And by what that means, we are not going to be consistently running huge pass plays, pass plays that require 50 yard bombs. We are running a timing offense, backed by a ground and pound running game led by Steven Jackson.

And Sam Bradford would excel in our offense. Why you ask?

Because,

1) Bradford excels in the short and medium pass routes. His accuracy in these departments are spot-on elite, and he has enough zip to be solid in the WCO.

2) He knows how to develop timing with his receivers. That is why the 2008 Oklahoma offense was so prolific. Bradford's timing with his receivers was insane. He is an amazingly smart QB who has great touch, feel, and timing to win in the NFL.

That is why he would succeed in our offense. A WCO is based on timing between the QB and WR, and Bradford would wreck havoc once he gets the timing down with our young WR's.
    6'4'', 220 lbs, about a 68 pct completion rate, and about an 8:1 TD/INT ratio. He even earned a high score on the wonderlic - I think a 40. Sure, he comes from a spread offense, but he won lots of games at his college and he is very very accurate. Sure, he doesn't have amazing deep ball strength, but he is a perfect fit for the west coast offense we run because he is accurate. That's right, everyone knows I'm talking about Alex Smith.

Honestly, my problem with Bradford is that he comes from a spread offense, and it's just about impossible to tell what the guy is going to do at the next level. He looks accurate in the spread, but that really doesn't mean a whole lot - especially in the Big 12. The fact that Bradford was surrounded by amazing talent only makes it harder for us to evaluate. Alex Smith was almost a better prospect than Bradford. He didn't have the injury concerns, and really the only knock on him was coming from a spread offense and not having a JaMarcus Russell cannon of an arm.

Basically, the 2nd and 3rd points are exactly what they said about Alex Smith. I really hope he's not Alex Smith #2 because it looks like we're drafting him, but there are many similarities at least IMO.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

I understand your points BigGame. Im all for judging a guy based on his individual merit however. That spread offense argument is old and has been debunked many many times on this forum alone. He took quite a bit of snaps under center in games and in practices and im sure he's been doing it in the offseason, for people to think that is going to be a problem is kinda silly to me, a result of nitpicking or not watching enough game tape.

Bradford is 6'4 236 pounds with about a 66% rating not counting this past season where he was injured. Bradford scored a 36 on his wonderlic which is not a 40 but is still ridiculously high. Bradford's deep ball is fine albeit I don't think he can throw 80 yards on his knees like Jamarcus Russell can. His throws have plenty of zip however. Also he is very accurate. All qualities that are great and just because Alex Smith had them as well doesn't mean Bradford will become Alex Smith, indeed don't you want you QB to be very accurate, 6' tall, high completion percentage, high td ratio, etc.?

Its impossible to tell what any player is going to do at the pro level honestly, all it is is guess work, people don't seem to realize its the same with Suh, guesswork. Im sure you'd find similarities with many other quarterbacks if you looked hard enough, both good and bad.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameTH View Post
    6'4'', 220 lbs, about a 68 pct completion rate, and about an 8:1 TD/INT ratio. He even earned a high score on the wonderlic - I think a 40. Sure, he comes from a spread offense, but he won lots of games at his college and he is very very accurate. Sure, he doesn't have amazing deep ball strength, but he is a perfect fit for the west coast offense we run because he is accurate. That's right, everyone knows I'm talking about Alex Smith.

Honestly, my problem with Bradford is that he comes from a spread offense, and it's just about impossible to tell what the guy is going to do at the next level. He looks accurate in the spread, but that really doesn't mean a whole lot - especially in the Big 12. The fact that Bradford was surrounded by amazing talent only makes it harder for us to evaluate. Alex Smith was almost a better prospect than Bradford. He didn't have the injury concerns, and really the only knock on him was coming from a spread offense and not having a JaMarcus Russell cannon of an arm.

Basically, the 2nd and 3rd points are exactly what they said about Alex Smith. I really hope he's not Alex Smith #2 because it looks like we're drafting him, but there are many similarities at least IMO.
    Hmm. True, but you could also say that to a lot of other QBs too.

Just because Bradford is similar to Alex Smith in what you described, doesn't mean he will have Alex Smith's productivity in the NFL.

It's all about intangibles. It's all about the character of the individual player.

For example, Ryan Leaf had all the tools to be a great QB. But his character was flawed, and it made him into a bust.

Comparing two similar QBs, the intangibles come into play to more accurately depict the future of the players.

Determination
    Willingness to learn
    Work ethic
    Their aggresiveness
    Passion
    Upside
    Potential

I'm not saying Bradford is all of that, and I'm not saying Alex Smith lacked those traits, but Bradford is a different person than Smith.

Now, in the end, Bradford may indeed be an Alex Smith. But he also may turn out to be a Peyton Manning.

BigGameTH is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    All qualities that are great and just because Alex Smith had them as well doesn't mean Bradford will become Alex Smith, indeed don't you want you QB to be very accurate, 6' tall, high completion percentage, high td ratio, etc.?
    That's true and me saying those were bad things was kind of silly, it's just that Alex Smith is similar to him on a pretty scary level to me.

I really have a hard time distinguishing between the two as prospects. They have even both had shoulder injuries. Bradford throws the ball like a dart-he gets rid of it quickly, effortlessly, and with speed. Maybe he does that better than Smith and that's enough for Spags and Devaney to say he'll excel. Bradford has always been known for having excellent footwork, so its not really the taking snaps under center that worries me. It's really more big 12 defenses against the spread that bothers me. Some of the plays I've seen were just bad coverage. I really wish we could have seen the kid play for his senior year.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast