Thread: why not Ryan??

RamWraith is offline Registered User

why not Ryan??

I have heard so much talk about the Longs, Gholston, Dorsey, Ellis and even McFadden.

Why not Ryan?

He has been compared to Carson Palmer. He could take a year or 2 to learn and develop behind Bulger. Bulger then could become excellent trade bait. We might be then looking at a set position for the franchise for many years to come.

And it only makes sense to get some bang for your buck. You are now looking actually paying a player for what he is worth on the market, instead of paying it based on draft position. You are taking so many chances in the early part of the draft why not take a chance on a steal. You might not have this opportunity again for a long time. He might be the most talented player in the draft and we are going to let him slip buy?

Me, personally, wouldn't mind seeing us taking a shot at the kid. The rewards in the future might out weight the risks of the present.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Re: why not Ryan??

If we didn't have such clear needs at positions where 3 of the 5 top players in the draft played, it would make more sense to me. But given that we need help at tackle and end and we can definitely get someone at one of those positions, I'd be a little upset if we drafted Ryan.

keith m. klink Guest

I would rather take a shot at FLACCO with the second pick or trade back up into the second rd and grab him a little lower . this would be a more reward for less risk and money . just my thought . i really don't like the 1st rd qb's.

I would rather try for a QB in rd 2 - FLACCO . rd 5 - AINGE . or rd 7 with FLYNN or O'DONNELL from SD.ST.
    Last edited by keith m. klink; -03-16-2008 at 12:02 PM.

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    I would rather take a shot at FLACCO with the second pick or trade back up into the second rd and grab him a little lower . this would be a more reward for less risk and money . just my thought . i really don't like the 1st rd qb's.
    Yeah, I'm with you.

I'm certainly not in favor of taking Ryan, as I don't think he's "Carson Palmer".

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I wouldn't want to see an early pick on a QB. Guys that kmk mentioned late, and I'll add Morelli to the list, would be decent developmental types.

Where'd Warner and Bulger come from? Not the top of the draft.

Grab em late and let them develope without the pressure to come in for quite a while. Instead of trying to grab a potential backup/future QB early, I'd rather see the big uglies to keep Bulger upright and healthy.
    Semper Fi!

harrydog is offline Registered User

Do you really think Linehan, who's job is on the line, will take a QB in the first round who won't help the team at all for a couple of years? Linehan needs results this season.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't think it makes sense financially after just signing Bulger to a big extension. It basically means this team will have paid $60 million in guaranteed money over the last two years to two QBs combined. I just don't think it makes sense from an economic standpoint considering our situation.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

It makes no sense. He's good, so he'll demand quite a bit of money. Not only that, we signed two QB contracts this year. I wouldn't touch Ryan with a 100 ft pole right now.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Unless the Rams trade Marc Bulger to Miami for the 1st pick, it would make no sense to draft Matt Ryan with the 2nd pick.

Ramer is offline Registered User

I agree with harrydog. With Linehan's job on the line, he is not going to waste a 1st round pick on a play that won't be ready for a few years.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I would take broehm if he is available when we pick in round 2.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I'm not for taking a guy in the first 3 rounds. Heres why we already have a backup in Green and all we need is a developmental 3rd string guy. You can get a guy like that later in the draft and address bigger needs and pay the guy less money

TekeRam is offline Registered User

If we take a QB early, then he'd generate interest from another team. That means we can't waive him to the practice squad or else we'll lose him. That means we lose one more player on the roster who can play special teams when someone gets injured.

Until we have the backup spot behind Bulger open, it makes no sense to draft a highly rated QB. Wait two years, let Green retire after 2009, grab a top QB in the 2010 draft and then groom him for two to three years, which will end Bulger's current contract. Simple enough to follow, no?

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    If we take a QB early, then he'd generate interest from another team. That means we can't waive him to the practice squad or else we'll lose him. That means we lose one more player on the roster who can play special teams when someone gets injured.

Until we have the backup spot behind Bulger open, it makes no sense to draft a highly rated QB. Wait two years, let Green retire after 2009, grab a top QB in the 2010 draft and then groom him for two to three years, which will end Bulger's current contract. Simple enough to follow, no?
    Makes total sense Teke. I believe QB is the least of our worries next to RB.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I wouldn't call it a "steal" when you're going to be paying the guy more than anyone else in the draft other than the first overall pick. If we drafted Ryan and he panned out to be an elite quarterback, then we'd be set at the position for years. Or we could keep Bulger and still be set at the position for years...just not quite as many. Adding Ryan and trading Bulger weakens the team if Ryan isn't very good. Whereas just drafting a player at another position who doesn't turn out to be very good keeps the team from improving but doesn't actually make us worse than we were before.