Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Why the Rams Draft was a Failure

richtree is online now Registered User

Why the Rams Draft was a Failure

1st Round with Quinn seems to be a success to everyone. And I give that pick an A+.

but lets examine the rest of the rounds.

14. Robert Quinn, defensive end, North Carolina. (A+_ as mentioned)
    47. Lance Kendricks, tight end, Wisconsin. (
    selected Kendricks instead of Mikel Leshoure at #47 Kendricks well may have been available at 78)
    78. Austin Pettis, wide receiver, Boise State (Over Hankerson, not acceptable if you were planning on going Salas next round)
    112. Greg Salas, wide receiver, Hawaii. (Same type of WR as Pettis/passed on OLB/RB/Safety)
    158. Jermale Hines, safety, Ohio State. (Special Team/marginal player/too early)
    216. Mikail Baker, returner, Baylor. (probably best late round pick)
    228. Jabara Williams, linebacker, Stephen F. Austin. (can he really play? Left RBs there)
    229. Jonathan Nelson, safety, Oklahoma. (FS that didn't start until senior year)

The Rams contuined to pass on talent for the guy the liked. We saw this when they took Avery over DJax. Burton over Garcon/Steve Johnson. Passing on
    Aaron Hernandez at Round 4, 15th pick (No. 113 overall) and taking Gilyard over Mike Williams and not drafting Danario Alexander.

The Rams haven't been a good franchise for 5 years and the draft is the #1 reason why.

Quinn, Kendricks, Pettis vs. Quinn, LeShoure, Hankerson.

not to mention Kendal Hunter in Round 4 was avaliable.

Robert Sands was there until Round 5. Once again the Rams had an ultra conservative draft. Most of our picks from round 2 through round 5 would be there at our next pick.

AND GOD FORBID WE EVER MOVE UP OR DOWN. The trade for an extra 7th was great and could have been Locke or another athlete / ammo for the field.

Our off season is vanilla again and we still need #1WR, #2RB, a starting Safety, and a OLB, and wait...a Guard too.....

I guess we really didn't address our needs at all and hopefully we can get some free agents to jump aboard before we are 7-9 again and struggling to score points.....

McDaniels better shake this team and the F.O. up ASAP.....

SJax has been a beast, but if he misses time this year we may lose every game he is out and could be right back to 4-12 with a difficult schedule.

So, in conclusion we got no speed on offense for one of the league's slowest moving, offensive challenged teams.

On Defense we have a pass rusher but no depth in the 2nd levels that can be counted on....

If you rank every teams draft -- we are in the bottom third of the league.

TE's and slow WR's don't win big games --- and that 3 picks that will have a ton of pressure on them.

Kendricks, Pettis, and Salas now have to make an impact for me to even consider this draft to be good....

sorry Rams, C- Draft -- and you need to have a good free agency to turn the team around....

Before you argue against me, just look at what these teams have done:

Browns, Bengals, Saints, Titans, Lions, Packers, Patriots, Falcons, Bucs, Cards, and Redskins

all with better drafts than the Rams....

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Why the Rams Draft was a Failure

I could not disagree with you more.

The Rams drafted players to fit the system they plan to use. We might have different ideas of who the top players were but, last time I checked, none of us have developed Super Bowl offenses (McDaniels) or defenses (Spagnuolo).

I also disagree with the list of teams you feel did a better job. Sure, the Browns were able to rip-off Atlanta in the trade market, but the Titans (if they want an athletic QB who can't hit the side of a barn, why not just stay with Young?), Patriots (with all their picks, they failed to address the pass rush), Falcons (paid way too much for Jones), Cards (remind me... who is going to play QB for them?), and Redskins (See question for Cards) don't look better (on paper) than the Rams' draft.
    Jonze, TekeRam and Rammed like this.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Just a few thoughts:
    • Kendricks and Salas probably would not have lasted another round past where they were drafted. In fact, we know that the Cardinals took an athletic tight end at #69, and one would think that they would have taken Kendricks over Housler if it was an option, but I would agree that Pettis and maybe Hines could have lasted another round.
    • You're acting like all of these were obvious choices. What should be obvious is that if other teams knew that guys like Steve Johnson, Pierre Garcon and Mike Williams would be as successful as they have been, somebody would have picked them up before the 4th round.
    • It's still not clear whether Danario Alexander's knees will allow him to have a future in the league.

Overall I look at this draft as the price of changing offensive systems. If you or I were calling the shots, we might have done it differently, but in my opinion by drafting the way they did, the coaches called on us to judge them by their results. I like that. It doesn't look like they got caught up in pre-draft hype. They stuck to their board and took guys they thought would contribute to the team. Time will tell whether they got it right.
    mikhal5569 and Flippin' Ram like this.

Bing69 is offline Registered User

Yeah i stopped reading after you said

'Austin Pettis, wide receiver, Boise State (Over Hankerson, not acceptable if you were planning on going Salas next round)'

Do you really think Spags and Devaney were sitting there saying 'Ive a great idea, lets take Pettis now, then Salas in the next round, because im 100% sure he'll be there. In fact ill just pick all the players i want from this round on and ill just go home....jeez

Maybe, just maybe they had the lesser familar named players rated higher than someone you may have known like Hankerson, LeShoure. Maybe they didnt like Sands, maybe those players didnt fit into what they want to do.

Why not just wait and see how they play first?!

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Actually, I really liked this draft because we're taking square pegs and putting them into square holes to build an offense (and defense) the right way. We have enough round hole square peg types and we have given these receivers *plenty* of time to improve or show they should be on this team. Now its time to bring in replacements and let them get to work.

TheBritishRam is online now Registered User

I can't remember the saying, do you have to wait 4 years or 4 days to judge a draft's success?

Well, glad everyone has an opinion, but my view is of a failure. The main reason is to win more football games. In this day and age you cannot wait to develop guys. If you want a elite Running Back that slips to Round 2 --YOU POUNCE ON HIM AND HOPE YOUR TE IS THERE IN ROUND 3.

Here is a tidbit:

Appearing on ESPN 101 St. Louis Monday, Rams GM Billy Devaney revealed that he tried to trade up for a running back in the draft.

We suspect it was Illinois RB Mikel Leshoure, who went 57th overall to the Lions -- after Detroit traded up. Devaney also revealed that the Rams held a Monday morning team meeting about this very subject, of finding a No. 2 running back to take some of the workload from Steven Jackson. Free agent targets may include Ronnie Brown, Clinton Portis, and Cadillac Williams.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I understand the frusteration, but it's been said before and I will say it again. It is impossible to tell how good these players will pan out, because they were drafted for a very specific scheme. Make no mistake, the first eight games are VERY tough and they will be very telling as to how good the new scheme is or is'nt.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

What do you mean you don't win by developing players? That's *all* the perennial winners do is develop players.

shower beers is offline Registered User

sometimes it seems like the draft is viewed this way:

this is a player I am familiar with = good pick
    this is a player I am not as familiar with, or not familiar with at all = poor pick
    this is a player I am not as familiar with, or not familiar with at all, and there is a player I am more familiar with still available = worst pick

For a quick reference, let's review last year's draft. We seemed to be the most excited (after bradford of course) about Gilyard and Selvie. Names we knew. The general consensus on Saffold was widely critical. I don't even exclude myself in this category. We all know how the season turned out. Another example is Laurinaitis over Rey. Although both names were known, we passed over the flashier pick to be sure.

Folks, trust the guys who spend hours and hours on tape and evaluations, visits, workouts, the PROFESSIONALS. Not the media who simply speculate as to where players will be picked. Walter football isn't taking contributing writers from NFL war rooms. They're guessing.

I don't mind if you disagree with a pick, or if you think it was a mistake to overlook another player, but please don't declare a certain team's picks as failures before they even get a playbook.
    Bar-bq and Rammed like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    What do you mean you don't win by developing players? That's *all* the perennial winners do is develop players.
    Maybe I should clarify this. I saw the Rams as a 7-9 team that needed a few more players, along with some development in Bradford that we all expect, to push us into a strong playoff team.

After the draft I feel we are still a .500 team with a tougher schedule. If it wasn't for the horrible draft by the Seahawks, we could finish in the basement of a bad division.

Free Agency will be crucial and for the Rams being the only NFC West Team with a QB I would have felt that a draft of

Quinn, LeShoure, Hankerson, etc...would have given our offense a boost to get us past the tough division games that we simply couldn't score points against.
    Last edited by richtree; -05-02-2011 at 02:50 PM.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Well, glad everyone has an opinion, but my view is of a failure. The main reason is to win more football games. In this day and age you cannot wait to develop guys. If you want a elite Running Back that slips to Round 2 --YOU POUNCE ON HIM AND HOPE YOUR TE IS THERE IN ROUND 3.

Here is a tidbit:

Appearing on ESPN 101 St. Louis Monday, Rams GM Billy Devaney revealed that he tried to trade up for a running back in the draft.

We suspect it was Illinois RB Mikel Leshoure, who went 57th overall to the Lions -- after Detroit traded up. Devaney also revealed that the Rams held a Monday morning team meeting about this very subject, of finding a No. 2 running back to take some of the workload from Steven Jackson. Free agent targets may include Ronnie Brown, Clinton Portis, and Cadillac Williams.
    Okay... I'm not getting your point? They tried, couldn't get him and didn't reach for another one in the later rounds when their guy was gone.

You take him Round 2. There are 20-30 TE's that can do what Kendricks does.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    You take him Round 2. There are 20-30 TE's that can do what Kendricks does.
    Not really and we dont have one that can do it on our roster. We have a RB who can do what LeShoure does on our roster. I would have loved for us to pickup Locke but for now I guess not.

Either way, we need to do some work in free agency. This lockout hurt us more than most teams because we had money and needs.

Hopefully, we still get a shot at many of free agents to fill in the holes.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast