Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Why the Rams Draft was a Failure

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Re: Why the Rams Draft was a Failure

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    I think alot of people are looking at the WRs we took and saying "but these aren't #1 receiver type guys and they're just like everyone else we have."

This isn't true...ok well the first part is true, the second part is not. We didn't have many (or any?) big receivers and the only receivers we had that people knew for their hands were Clayton and Amendola, everyone else on our team was basically known for dropping the ball. Now we have two guys who are big, physical receivers known for making catches in traffic. Heck, we even have one who is basically known for doing nothing but scoring TDs in the red zone, something we are known for *not* doing. Are these guys flashy, are they going to break past DBs and run into the end zone from our end zone? No. But they are going to help in areas of the offense where we really needed help...scoring points and catching passes.
    Rep to you, (even though you stole my thunder). I read every word of every scout's analysis on these three receivers and (Richtree, you might actually read them), the thing that stood out consistently as a consensus opinion ON ALL THREE was "CATCHES EVERYTHING THAT IS THROWN THEIR WAY". Way too many drops last year - (see Seahawks playoff game).

Couple that with their size (and our incredible red zone woes, as in 5th in RZ possesions and 29TH in RZ TDs!)
    maybe, just maybe Spags, McD and Billy know what they're doing. Also, big receivers simply do not get injured as much as little guys, which has been a nagging problem with the WRs.

That said, I DID feel the Rams needed a guard, but maybe this is finally Greco's or Setterstrom's year.

"the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I was thinking of Kendricks, Pettis and Salas in this sense. No, they are not "homerun" threats every time they touch the ball. But when you have a Sam Bradford you may not need to hit the homerun.

For instance, in baseball, who would you rather have; 1) a .220 avg hitter that will finish with 40 HRs or 2) a .350 avg hitter that finishes with 15 HRs but will regularly moves the runners.

With reliable receivers, getting a 70%+ completion percentage (I may be optimistic here) would mean regularly moving the chains, keeping the defense off the field or at least keeping them fresher and possibly more scoring. Sam had a 60% completion percentage last season, his first. That could have been vastly improved had guys caught the catchable balls and/or actually ran the 10.5 yards on 3rd and 10.

I am thinking this draft is quite significant.

And I am sure the front office isn't done yet.
    Semper Fi!

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Here's my take on this...

Calling a draft a failure or success less than a week after it's over is a little bit on the crazy side. I can understand the questions regarding the #2 pick, because I questioned it, but like some have said, we have no idea what the Rams staff is planning for next year. ...but I'm sure they have a plan in place, and these guys obviously fit the plan.

The talk about the Rams having the slowest offense on the face of the planet is just nonsense. Last time I checked, speed doesn't win ballgames. Just ask the Raiders. They've had a freakin' track team for the last decade and the most wins they've had in a season the past eight years is 8. There's more to getting open and catching a pass than just speed. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but Holt and Bruce weren't speed-demons, but they both had pretty fair careers.

The difference between the "speed" guys , and what everyone wants to call a "#2 or #3 "possession receiver" is less than a step over the distance of a typical pass route. A good move, or sell, is worth way more than that extra .06 seconds over 40 yards. (BTW, that was the difference between a "fast" guy like AJ Green (4.50), and Salas (4.56). BTW, Hankerson had a 4.43 40-yard dash. It's more about intelligence and read.

The only thing I was disappointed in was not getting more defensive help at safety and LB. We have a #2 RB, and I didn't see a potential new #1 available. Next year maybe. But I'm still one to build the D and O lines first, then work on the position players. We did that with Quinn.

Let's wait and see how the offseason and (if) there's a season at all this year before we throw in the towel on the Rams draft.
    rammiser likes this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Trevor is offline Registered User

I will revive this thread in a couple years. It is then that you can say this draft was a failure.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

What if Kendricks turns into the next Dallas Clark?

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    What if Kendricks turns into the next Dallas Clark?
    Eh, if Pettis and Salas aren't the next Harrison and Wayne, people won't care.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

At the end of the day DeSpags did what they had to do. Last season at the end of the Seahawks game we all went wild and basically all of us thought WR was our biggest need, but as the off season progressed things changed. I am happy with the draft because we are trying to get people to help out Sam. And with Quinn lining up across Long, I'll be damned if they dont scare opposing QB's. Quinn was the biggest steal of the draft.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I'm not going to complain with the Pettis and Salas picks. Not a HUGE fan of them, as I believe that the talent available was higher than theirs.

As for the Kendricks pick, I just can't get myself to be a big fan of it. I've done a lot of observing the TE class this year, and it's just not very strong. It's actually pretty weak to say the least. Kendricks isn't that great of a player. In any other draft he might be a low 3rd round prospect at best. Even Rudolph has a lot of holes in his game. However, the weak TE class has bumped these players up, and I feel that just because Kendricks might fit our scheme, it was a big reach.

Players available were: Marvin Austin, Greg Little, Torrey Smith, Stephen Paea, Brandon Harris, DaQuan Bowers, Ben Ijalana.

Austin and Quinn have had playing time together, and the chemistry is there. Would have been a sensible pick seeing that they wrecked havoc a couple years ago playing side by side. Austin is a terror on the inside, and there is no doubt to me that some of Quinn's success was achieved by Austin's presence, and vice versa.

Greg Little is a physical specimen, and I like him as a guy that would give our WR some raw talent.

Torrey Smith reminds me of a Donnie Avery who has better hands and reliability. He would give us a legit #2 WR who could stretch the field with Avery. Would have been exciting.

Stephen Paea is a stocky, very strong DT. At 6'1, he would be consistently getting under the shoulder pads of slower, less athletic OG's. His rugby background and bench press results show that he could have made our d-line very solid.

Brandon Harris would have given us an athletic, solid cornerback to complete our CB tandem. I feel that Jerome Murphy is better at safety, and Harris would be a great shut down corner. He is a beast in man coverage.

Ben Ijalana would have given us a powerful, smart mauler that could immediately step in at RG, or rotate with Bell at LG. Ijalana is an athletic and powerful run AND pass blocker.

DaQuan Bowers, if anything, would have given Spags another very intriguing prospect to work with, and our pass rush would have been very very exciting.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Well, glad everyone has an opinion, but my view is of a failure. The main reason is to win more football games. In this day and age you cannot wait to develop guys. If you want a elite Running Back that slips to Round 2 --YOU POUNCE ON HIM AND HOPE YOUR TE IS THERE IN ROUND 3.

Here is a tidbit:

Appearing on ESPN 101 St. Louis Monday, Rams GM Billy Devaney revealed that he tried to trade up for a running back in the draft.

We suspect it was Illinois RB Mikel Leshoure, who went 57th overall to the Lions -- after Detroit traded up. Devaney also revealed that the Rams held a Monday morning team meeting about this very subject, of finding a No. 2 running back to take some of the workload from Steven Jackson. Free agent targets may include Ronnie Brown, Clinton Portis, and Cadillac Williams.
    Couple of questions ..
    1) Which player available in round 2 was an "elite" running back?

2) Don't we already have an "elite" running back?

From all appearances the Rams stayed true to their board. If Billy D. and crew had Kendricks, Pettis, and Salas rated higher than Hankerson, then those are the guys they should have drafted. If in fact they considered trading up for a running back but the price was too high, then fine. That is why we hired them as "experts" to do their due diligence researching the many players available.

I really like our draft from rounds 1 through round 4, the rest of the guys taken I simply don't know enough about. (rds 5 - 7).

I like our draft because we drafted guys who were consistently productive in college at the positions they were drafted to play for us. Were they sexy picks? No .. with perhaps the exception of Robert Quinn. No 4.29 -- 40 yd dash guys, rather we drafted good football players. What do all 3 receivers we drafted have in common? They don't drop many balls. They all have good hands. They are smart. They will be able to absorb our new coodinator's playbook. They are not primadonnas, they'll bring their lunch pail to work everyday. We may well have won the NFC West last year were it not for the many dropped passes and wrong routes run by our group of no name receivers. As opposing defenses figured out that Danny Amendola was Sam's go to guy on 3rd down, (cause he was the most reliable after Clayton went down), they began taking him away, causing Sam to look elsewhere, and the offense to sputter.

If there is going to be a 2011 regular season, there will be free agency, and Stan K. is no rookie when it comes to funding pro rosters. There also will be a large group of undrafted rookies to choose from. Unless Steven Jackson sustains a serious injury, whoever plays behind him will not get that many snaps. If Kendricks and Pettis/Salas come anywhere near the Rams expectations in their first year, they will see plenty of action. Perhaps before we come to a knee jerk judgment of our 2011 draft, we ought to at least give the guys we picked a chance to show their stuff. I personally think we've added guys that will "keep the chains moving" more consistently than last year.
    rammiser likes this.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Im not going to address whether this draft was a success or failure because unitl these guys hit the field we just dont know. I like how people say we drafted guys that were not great but somehow they know that guys other teams drafted will be great. Let me borrow your crystal ball so i can get the next big lotto winning numbers. Who's to say what the Rams teams needs were? Maybe Spags,Devaney and Mcdaniels didnt think that what Mel Kyper,Todd Mcshay and Mike Mayock felt were our needs were actually what we needed. Maybe just maybe the guys within the organization felt our needs were in different areas. We didnt draft a running back in last years draft and did that seem to hurt our team? We havnt had a free agency period yet and people act like this front office just blindly selected guys without doing research. I will tell you one thing if the wr's we took have good hands I'll be thankful. If our current group of wr's had good hands we probably would have won a couple more games including the one for the division. Our defense wasnt great but they were put in some pretty terrible situations by our offense. Just having better play calling and sure handed wr's will improve our defense.

If you want to say your dissapointed with who we picked because you like so and so that's fine. To act like any of us are smarter than our front office and to call it a failure is downright crazy. Was I suprised by a couple of our picks, sure I was. However I know jack sh*t compared to anyone in our front office. Will every guy we picked make the roster? Probably not but that goes for every NFL team. I smiled when Frisco didnt pick a qb until they took Kappernick whom I think will not amount to much. We get to face Alex Smith again which is great for us. Give these guys some time before calling them failures. This draft is only a failure because certain people think they know the college talent better and hear the media guys say it is so.
    ZiaRam likes this.
    Just Fix It

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    If you want to say your dissapointed with who we picked because you like so and so that's fine. To act like any of us are smarter than our front office and to call it a failure is downright crazy. However I know jack sh*t compared to anyone in our front office. This draft is only a failure because certain people think they know the college talent better and hear the media guys say it is so.
    I love how Rammiser actually is realistic that he doesn't know jack compared to anyone that actually GETS PAID spending time with doing nothing more than player research and finding who fits OUR system the best. I love how people think they know everything about everything, football, NFL, or the business that they have never been a part of.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Waaaaaay too early to label this draft a failure. There were some picks I disagreed with, sure. But how you can deem it a failure so soon if beyond me. Actually, I take that back. Did you see the Seahags draft? Lol now that's a failure. Ours? Wait until after the season to make that call.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Leave the site for a few months, come back and the negativity is still at the top of the front page from the same people. I'll come back again in a few months. Good luck.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Just thought I would add that he NFL Network gave us the best grade in the NFC West and thought we added good weapons for Bradford.
    Just Fix It

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

Quinn was an ok pick, but it will be a few years until he does anything and being out of football for a year scares me.

Kendricks - I like the pick. He's a huge upgrade at TE., and I doubt would have lasted to the 3rd. I didn't like any of the WRs left so I was happy we didn't draft one. And we absolutely can not afford to draft a backup rb in the 2nd. Especially not LeShoure, who is SJ lite.

Pettis - Hate this pick more every day. He's a big target but we just drafted Kendricks for that. He's a situational player, which we can not afford tp spend a 3rd rounder on this team yet.

Salas - Drafting Pettis is whats making me hate this pick. We don't need 2 more avg/below avg WRs. But as a 4th rounder by himself, it's not a horrible pick. Most 4th rounders don't do anything anyway. And with Clayton, Avery, DA having injury issues, it's not a bad idea to get depth. Even though I would have preferred to go in another direction.

I don't know much about the other picks, and you have to get lucky in the 6th and 7th round anyways. But we need help at all of those positions, so all of those players have a good chance to play significant minutes for us. That means they are good picks in my opinion.

I've never been the type to hate a pick because I had wanted someone else. As long as the pick makes us better, I'm ok with it. That said it is hard to get excited about this draft. In 3 years when we look back, I believe we will see we've gotten a good TE, an ok DE and thats it. Everyone else will have been cut or firmly on the bench. You should get at least 1 or 2 good players each draft. Thats exactly what we did, so right now I give us a C+. Not because the draft was a failure, but because we did about average.
    Last edited by md8; -05-06-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast