Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Why the Rams Draft was a Failure

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Why the Rams Draft was a Failure

Quote Originally Posted by md8 View Post
    Quinn was an ok pick, but it will be a few years until he does anything and being out of football for a year scares me.

Kendricks - I like the pick. He's a huge upgrade at TE., and I doubt would have lasted to the 3rd. I didn't like any of the WRs left so I was happy we didn't draft one. And we absolutely can not afford to draft a backup rb in the 2nd. Especially not LeShoure, who is SJ lite.

Pettis - Hate this pick more every day. He's a big target but we just drafted Kendricks for that. He's a situational player, which we can not afford tp spend a 3rd rounder on this team yet.

Salas - Drafting Pettis is whats making me hate this pick. We don't need 2 more avg/below avg WRs. But as a 4th rounder by himself, it's not a horrible pick. Most 4th rounders don't do anything anyway. And with Clayton, Avery, DA having injury issues, it's not a bad idea to get depth. Even though I would have preferred to go in another direction.

I don't know much about the other picks, and you have to get lucky in the 6th and 7th round anyways. But we need help at all of those positions, so all of those players have a good chance to play significant minutes for us. That means they are good picks in my opinion.

I've never been the type to hate a pick because I had wanted someone else. As long as the pick makes us better, I'm ok with it. That said it is hard to get excited about this draft. In 3 years when we look back, I believe we will see we've gotten a good TE, an ok DE and thats it. Everyone else will have been cut or firmly on the bench. You should get at least 1 or 2 good players each draft. Thats exactly what we did, so right now I give us a C+. Not because the draft was a failure, but because we did about average.
    An ok DE? Whats you're reasoning here? You've given noone an accurate explanation as to why the best pass rushing DE in the draft will be "ok".

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Oh heck yea, it was a failing draft. Dang awful by any measure! To spend a 1st rounder on Tye Hill is almost as bad as the 2nd round pick of Klopfenstein. Then to go through the thug row of Wroten and Byrd with the athletic but positionless Alston.....just horrible. Vic & Setterstrom both did what they could, but in the end weren't a long-term.....

....What's that?

....Well, of course we're talking about 2006. That would be the most recent year that any realistic draft could be graded. I mean how silly would it be to try and discuss the 2011......

.....oh so this really was an attempt to write off a draft where nobody has touched a game field yet?

Wow.
    TekeRam and C-Mob 71 like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

QuinnMan is offline Registered User

Quinn was an ok pick, but it will be a few years until he does anything and being out of football for a year scares me.

Kendricks - I like the pick. He's a huge upgrade at TE., and I doubt would have lasted to the 3rd. I didn't like any of the WRs left so I was happy we didn't draft one. And we absolutely can not afford to draft a backup rb in the 2nd. Especially not LeShoure, who is SJ lite.

Pettis - Hate this pick more every day. He's a big target but we just drafted Kendricks for that. He's a situational player, which we can not afford tp spend a 3rd rounder on this team yet.

Salas - Drafting Pettis is whats making me hate this pick. We don't need 2 more avg/below avg WRs. But as a 4th rounder by himself, it's not a horrible pick. Most 4th rounders don't do anything anyway. And with Clayton, Avery, DA having injury issues, it's not a bad idea to get depth. Even though I would have preferred to go in another direction.

I don't know much about the other picks, and you have to get lucky in the 6th and 7th round anyways. But we need help at all of those positions, so all of those players have a good chance to play significant minutes for us. That means they are good picks in my opinion.

I've never been the type to hate a pick because I had wanted someone else. As long as the pick makes us better, I'm ok with it. That said it is hard to get excited about this draft. In 3 years when we look back, I believe we will see we've gotten a good TE, an ok DE and thats it. Everyone else will have been cut or firmly on the bench. You should get at least 1 or 2 good players each draft. Thats exactly what we did, so right now I give us a C+. Not because the draft was a failure, but because we did about average.
    I'm sorry md8 but I disagree with your assessment about our two WR and especially about Quinn being taken as just a 'ok' DE. Have you actually done any research on him or watched tape? He is a Excellent pass rusher! I will give you that he does need to work on his run game stoppage/ over pursuing. (not bad by any means just needs some improvment) But from what I've heard and have seen of the past this Coach Spagnalo will fix this and polish it up where he is completely even keel.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Once again people are doing too much reading about what type of wr's Salas and Pettis are. Isaac Bruce was a 4.5 guy with good hands and ran good routes which is exactly what Pettis and Salas are. Why is that such a bad thing? Not to mention they fit this offense that Mcdaniels will run perfectly. I wish we would start drafting like the Raiders where we just take the fastest guy available because that breeds a successful draft right? People are so caught up in speed it's rediculous. Chris Carter,Larry Fitzgerald,Anquan Boldin,Jerry Rice, and Isaac Bruce were all sub 4.5 guy and some of them didnt even run 4.5. They all turned out just fine. Some wr's know how to run routes to create seperation. Ae they going to run right by you on a fly pattern every time? No, but it didnt seem to hurt Bruce in the Superbowl. People give these guys a chance, we havnt even seen them play and everyone is doging them out already. You can't expect everyone to love every pick but you can't discount these guys just because you are reading too much crap written by people in the media.

Missing a year of football didnt seem to hurt Sam Bradford much so I dont see why it would hurt a speed rushing defensive end. Bradford only played two games and not even full games in his junior year. He seemed to turn out ok. I think i'll trust our front office who over the past two years has done pretty well with their picks.

In 2010 Bradford,Saffold,Michael Hoomanawanui and Jerome Murphy either started or were huge contributers. Selvie and Sims also contibuted at times on defense. Gilyard contributed a little but worked himself into thedog house. Not a failed draft at all and most people hated our second round pick of Saffold.

In 2009 James Laurinitis,Jason Smith, and Bradley Fletcher either started or were huge contributers. Darrell Scott also showed some flashed from time to time so not a bad draft there either.

In 2008 and under a different regime Chris Long,Donnie Avery and David Vobora eitherstarted or were huge contributers. Avery needs to stay healthy but he showed flashes. John Greco and Justin King are still on the roster but the jury is still out.

Compare those three drafts with some of the ones the previous 4 years and then tell me how bad this front office is doing in recent drafts.
    Just Fix It

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

Honestly, predicting Quinn as an OK de, is just a gut call on what I feel as the most likely. He has the most potential out of all our draftees. He needs to improve as a run stopping, or that can limit the amount of time he is on the field, but to me, that was his only big weakness in college.

My thing is their have been so many DE's the last few drafts that look really awesome in college. A few looked much better than Quinn. They have done nothing at the pro level.

So this isn't really anything against Quinn. He has a great shot to be great, but just as easily turn out to be crap. I just don't have a feeling either way, so I'm putting my money in the middle as an ok starting DE.

As for the WRs, I'm sorry, but Pettis has no ****ing chance of catching more than 40 passes a season. In 3 years, he'll be Klopfenstein. And I have no idea if he's even still in the league.

Salas, at least has a chance to be ok. He doesn't have much talent though. If he has one successful season here, it will be because of injuries and Bradford. Bradford will make average receivers look great. But most people will see that, and still realize we has something better. His ceiling is Clayton. Couldn't do anything as Baltimore's #1. But with Bradford and nothing else, actually looked kind of good. Since we already have Clayton and Amendola, I don't see much need for Salas. Unless the the front office is worried Clayton, Avery or Alexander will get hurt again.

A #1 Wr is a must with a talent like Bradford. We won't stop trying every year to get one until we do. That will make our #3 and #4 a waste. Either they will be pushed deep on the depth chart, or we will get rid of someone just as good like Clayton, Amendola or Avery.

Also Bradford is the reason I love the Kendricks pick. He's a pass catching TE, and Bradford will make him look great. And I predict one of our 6th or 7th rounders will be the next Dahl. He'll look good stats wise this year, but we'll be looking to replace him in 2 yrs.
    Last edited by md8; -05-07-2011 at 01:21 AM.

QuinnMan is offline Registered User

Honestly, predicting Quinn as an OK de, is just a gut call on what I feel as the most likely. He has the most potential out of all our draftees. He needs to improve as a run stopping, or that can limit the amount of time he is on the field, but to me, that was his only big weakness in college.

My thing is their have been so many DE's the last few drafts that look really awesome in college. A few looked much better than Quinn. They have done nothing at the pro level.

So this isn't really anything against Quinn. He has a great shot to be great, but just as easily turn out to be crap. I just don't have a feeling either way, so I'm putting my money in the middle as an ok starting DE.

As for the WRs, I'm sorry, but Pettis has no ****ing chance of catching more than 40 passes a season. In 3 years, he'll be Klopfenstein. And I have no idea if he's even still in the league.

Salas, at least has a chance to be ok. He doesn't have much talent though. If he has one successful season here, it will be because of injuries and Bradford. Bradford will make average receivers look great. But most people will see that, and still realize we has something better. His ceiling is Clayton. Couldn't do anything as Baltimore's #1. But with Bradford and nothing else, actually looked kind of good. Since we already have Clayton and Amendola, I don't see much need for Salas. Unless the the front office is worried Clayton, Avery or Alexander will get hurt again.

A #1 Wr is a must with a talent like Bradford. We won't stop trying every year to get one until we do. That will make our #3 and #4 a waste. Either they will be pushed deep on the depth chart, or we will get rid of someone just as good like Clayton, Amendola or Avery.

Also Bradford is the reason I love the Kendricks pick. He's a pass catching TE, and Bradford will make him look great. And I predict one of our 6th or 7th rounders will be the next Dahl. He'll look good stats wise this year, but we'll be looking to replace him in 2 yrs.
    I respect your opinion since everyone one is entitled to one MD8. Let's agree that when this season gets a'rollin and all the opinions you made don't come to fruitation then don't be mad when I dog you for them!!!!! OK? Deal? Just a friendly game of opinion....

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Once again people are doing too much reading about what type of wr's Salas and Pettis are. Isaac Bruce was a 4.5 guy with good hands and ran good routes which is exactly what Pettis and Salas are. Why is that such a bad thing?
    I don't think it's just speed that people are concerned about. A lot of people wanted Julius Jones before he ran a fast 40 because he was perceived to be an impact player. The perception on the guys that we drafted is that they were both Day 3 talents. I'm willing to withhold judgment until I've seen them in action, but it's more than just speed that's a concern. For example, route running has also been cited as a weakness for both Salas and Pettis.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Honestly, predicting Quinn as an OK de, is just a gut call on what I feel as the most likely.
    At least you admit that you have no rational basis for your wacky predictions. Sorry, but I think I will take the word of the analysts over your 'gut' feelings.

As for the WRs, I'm sorry, but Pettis has no ****ing chance of catching more than 40 passes a season. In 3 years, he'll be Klopfenstein.
    Omg you are wacky. Pettis had 229 catches in his college career and 39 of those were TD's. I bet you $50 that Pettis has over 40 catches in 2011, as long as there is a full season. I have paypal, so if you really believe your own hype, put your money where your mouth is.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BM_Face View Post
    At least you admit that you have no rational basis for your wacky predictions. Sorry, but I think I will take the word of the analysts over your 'gut' feelings.

Omg you are wacky. Pettis had 229 catches in his college career and 39 of those were TD's. I bet you $50 that Pettis has over 40 catches in 2011, as long as there is a full season. I have paypal, so if you really believe your own hype, put your money where your mouth is.
    You think Pettis will catch 40? I doubt it. As of now he is behind: Clayton, Avery, DX, and Amendola. He will have to share time on the outside with someone, probably Avery. Salas and Amendola have slot. We have way too many WR's for him to get 40.

SLSG is offline Registered User

I will take a 4.5 with great hands all day long, expecially if they have some size, which Pettis and Salas have. Salas is going to surprise a lot of people. The dude can play. Avery and DX can stretch the field when needed. As long as Avery is recovered, this will be his breakout year. He was playing great last year before the injury. He has all the talent in the world, he just needs to stay healthy.

SLSG is offline Registered User

People keep talking about these guys not being HR hitter types of players. In baseball, a HR is a rally killer. When you have guys on base, singles and doubles keeps the rally going. Think of it this way, if the Rams keep moving the chains, they control the clock, keep the D rested, and wear out the other teams' D for later in the game. Ball control is the key imo.
    MauiRam and Ram Mar Ram like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    You think Pettis will catch 40? I doubt it. As of now he is behind: Clayton, Avery, DX, and Amendola. He will have to share time on the outside with someone, probably Avery. Salas and Amendola have slot. We have way too many WR's for him to get 40.
    Well, if md8 passes on the $50 bet, you can take the action. My only exception to the bet was in the original offer; 40 catches for Pettis as long as we have a regular season.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Your guess is as good as any right now as to the WR line-up but it's still just that; a guess. No reason not to believe that a bunch of whichever guys will catch 40-70 passes in a McD offense; Gaffney had about 65 as the 3rd in Den & that was with Orton at QB.Who knows who the alpha dog will be but I doubt Brandon Lloyd is that much faster at this point in his career than either of the draftees, never mind Avery. And the Kendricks pick has made more than a few of us think of the Patsy TEs last year; about 40+ catches each,500yds each. Nothing spectacular until you realize they combined for something like 16 TDs.....

Heck, even Gibson and Fells managed 40+ last year, they just didn't score that much or move the chains enough. We need more quality as well as quantity,imo.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -05-08-2011 at 01:43 PM.

I am not willing to make a $50 bet just because I am a huge fan of Austin Pettis (even though I am a huge fan). I make this bet after looking at some stats and making some projections. I mostly compared Orton and Bradford because McDaniels is our OC this year and Bradford is our QB.

In 2010 Orton and Bradford were sacked equal times and had nearly identical completion percentages at 59% and 60% respectively. Bradford averaged 6 yards per completion, and Orton 7.3. Of Bradford’s top five targets, 3 were WR’s and they shared 172 total receptions. Of Orton’s top five targets, 4 were WR’s and they shared 223 catches.

Jabar Gaffney was Orton’s number two target with 65 receptions last year including 12 against Indy and 9 vs. Baltimore. Gaffney is 6-2, 200 lbs and he ran a 4.53 40 yard dash…in 2002! Pettis is 6-3, 209 and he runs a 4.56. The rest of Gaffney’s numbers from 2002 are 4.06 in 20 yard shuttle, 6.87 in 3 cone drill and a 34” vertical, as compared to Pettis with a 3.88 shuttle, and 6.68 3 cone drill and a 33.5” vert.
    With this info in mind, I ask myself a few questions.

Will Bradford throw the ball at least as much in 2011 as he did in 2010? I say yes.

Will Pettis be one of the Ram’s top four WR’s in 2011? I say yes, probably in the number 3 or 4 spot.

Is Pettis too raw to really contribute in 2011? Long-time starter and two time captain with outstanding football IQ and every intangible you could ever hope for regarding drive and attitude. He is a tough competitor that takes hits and bounces up without dropping the ball. After 4 years in Boise St. this kid only lost 2 fumbles.

Yeah, $50 for Pettis to have 40+ receptions in 2011 seems a fair bet, as long as there is a season. Pettis isn’t even on the team yet, but on the off chance that the Rams bring in a bunch of high-end Free Agents that knock Pettis off our roster, I still say he get 40+ catches next year wherever he lands in the league. I would take action on this all day long if it wasn’t for the totally unpredictable nature of injuries in the NFL. Even so, Bradford took every snap last year, and I don’t think Pettis missed a game in four years at Boise St., so I see these two being on the field together a bunch in 2011. I can’t freakin’ wait!

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Looking at the draft in more depth, I am warming to the players the Rams picked. I do not listen too much any more on other peoples opinions on talent evaluation, because people have their own personal preference on skill sets alone, never mind the schemes. Their is so much to consider which makes it a bit of a lottery.
    I didnt like the fact we did not help our interior OL, but in all honesty we only need 1 player or may even have him already on the roster(Greco) who can come in start and make a difference.
    Losing Jackson and having no decent back up does worry me a bit, I still have confidence we will get by though.
    Speed is overrated at the receiver position so I still have high hopes for Pettis and Salas. An OLB, OG or DT will be addressed in free agency or some low key trades. This draft was weak in them positions so the Rams in my mind took players they genuinely liked and didnt reach in my mind.? TIME WILL TELL.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast