Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 77
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Why the Rams Draft was a Failure

  1. #61
    Damned Ramz's Avatar
    Damned Ramz is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    58
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Why the Rams Draft was a Failure

    I disagree but appreciate the different perspective. Everyone from pages 1-4 pretty much repeated the same thing in different ways haha . Was WAY more excited to read this post than any other one.

    Only 351 more days until 2012 Draft!


  2. #62
    Harry S. Truman's Avatar
    Harry S. Truman is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    100
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Why the Rams Draft was a Failure

    Quinn, I'm extremely excited about. He projects as a top of the line DE/OLB and is someone who I can see being a terror on defense. This is a guy with huge upside, and one who was highly productive (17.5 sacks as a true freshman and sophomore). I fully believe had he played his junior year, barring injuries, he would have had another double digit sack season and would have been picked in the top 3 at WORST. Even as is, he was in top 5 consideration. To get him at 14 is a steal. He has all the tools to be an elite pass rusher, and he and Chris Long should form a dynamic DE duo for many years to come.

    I'm going to admit, I wasn't nuts about taking Kendricks. I too could name several players I'd rather have seen St. Louis take, I feel ignoring the DT position was alarming and Paea would have been nice.. I also would have been ok with them going for an Offensive Guard, one of the Safeties or another CB. However, I also won't discredit Kendricks' ability. He reminds me a lot of another former Wisconsin TE, Owen Daniels. He's not a speed demon by any means (more on this in a few), but he runs tremendous routes, knows how to get to the ball and when he doesn't have lapses on concentration, has good hands/hand to body control.

    Pettis, I certainly won't crap on like many here seemingly are. Again, he's no speed demon, but he knows how to get to the football, has good hands, makes the catches when balls are thrown his direction, is a big target, a potential red zone threat and a guy I see as a productive player on the NFL level. You look at Pettis' numbers, the guy has produced on a big time level for each of his four years at Boise State. The guy is a player, who I see having a very productive NFL career. Do I see him being an All Pro? Maybe eventually.. However, at worst I see him as a solid, productive, steady hand.

    Salas, I view much like I view Pettis. The guy catches the football. He makes plays happen. He's not going to beat you in a foot race, however with Bradford's accuracy in getting the ball to the receiver, he's gonna love having Salas (and Pettis) on his roster.

    I think many of you (no disrespect intended) are getting a little too worried about timed speed and Combine numbers. What the Rams are doing seemingly is building a spread 'em type offense. What really killed the team in the Seahawk season finale (and other games at times) was dropped passes. The biggest factor in favor of Salas and Pettis is the fact that they straight up catch the football. Also, with Kendricks, keep in mind who his top receiver at Oklahoma was.... Gresham-- a TE.

    The potential for an all around passing attack is definitely there. For those in favor of speed, perhaps Mardy gets his crap together. You put two guys in the offense who can run routes (Kendricks, Pettis) and playmakers who can catch the football, it's easier to slide a guy like Mardy Gilyard in the lineup and let him fly.

    Just my two cents.

  3. #63
    SLSG's Avatar
    SLSG is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    190
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Why the Rams Draft was a Failure

    Gilyard isn't very fast either. He's more quick than fast. Avery is our only true speed guy. If he's healthy, he could really have a break out year. DX is a decent deep threat too. He has the size to go up and get it, well atleast go up, lol.

  4. #64
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,122
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Why the Rams Draft was a Failure

    Let's hope this years draft is much better, and the team is moving forward !!!!!!!!!!

    Our last 4 rounds were players that were thrown away and had no chance for development.

    Hopefully Pettis makes the team and his PED incident gives him motivation to work harder.....

    Quinn is great, and Kendricks need to live up to his potential this year in Fisher's system that develops TEs to pass and block

  5. #65
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,407
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Why the Rams Draft was a Failure

    How can such professionals in their respective fields be so BAD at what they do? We missed on so many picks here... The only ones that made it after 1 year are Robert Quinn, Lance Kendricks, Greg Salas, and Austin Pettis (Doesn't look good for him).

    Until we learn to draft (Hopefully now with the new FO) we will always be the cellar dweller.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  6. #66
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,145
    Rep Power
    106

    Re: Why the Rams Draft was a Failure

    We haven't had a great draft for the last 6 years. (LINEHAN, SPAGS)

    Things are about to change......don't you feel it?

  7. #67
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: Why the Rams Draft was a Failure

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    The only ones that made it after 1 year are Robert Quinn, Lance Kendricks, Greg Salas, and Austin Pettis (Doesn't look good for him).

    Until we learn to draft (Hopefully now with the new FO) we will always be the cellar dweller.
    Gee, you mean our late fifth rounder and three seventh round picks didn't pan out? Shocking. I mean the fact that they weren't taken anywhere in the top 60% of the draft shouldn't tell us anything.

  8. #68
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,407
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Why the Rams Draft was a Failure

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Gee, you mean our late fifth rounder and three seventh round picks didn't pan out? Shocking. I mean the fact that they weren't taken anywhere in the top 60% of the draft shouldn't tell us anything.
    Go look at the best teams in the NFL, and tell me why there up there. Giants? Victor Cruz? Ahmad Bradshaw? Pats? Hernandez? Danny Woodhead? Kyle Arrington? Wes Welker? Tom Brady? Half of these guys are undrafted or taken in the late rounds and are all major contributors or pro bowlers for their teams. The best teams in the NFL aren't the ones that can nail picks in round 1 and 2, their the ones who find special players late in the draft or that went undrafted..
    live4ramin and ZiaRam like this.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  9. #69
    Fettmaster's Avatar
    Fettmaster is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,159
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: Why the Rams Draft was a Failure

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Gee, you mean our late fifth rounder and three seventh round picks didn't pan out? Shocking. I mean the fact that they weren't taken anywhere in the top 60% of the draft shouldn't tell us anything.
    Its not necessarily that those guys didn't pan out, but its the fact that those guys aren't even with the Rams anymore. Hell, most of our late picks from last year were gone before they even got a chance to play. Why even draft those guys then? Every single player drafted by the New York Giants last year is still with the team. Eight of the nine players selected by the Patriots are still with the team. Does that mean all of those guys are going to be superstars for those teams? No, but they're still there to contribute, unlike four of the guys we took. Just because the Rams always whiff on late round picks doesn't mean its the norm.


  10. #70
    TheBritishRam's Avatar
    TheBritishRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Oxford
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,139
    Rep Power
    31

    Re: Why the Rams Draft was a Failure

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Go look at the best teams in the NFL, and tell me why there up there. Giants? Victor Cruz? Ahmad Bradshaw? Pats? Hernandez? Danny Woodhead? Kyle Arrington? Wes Welker? Tom Brady? Half of these guys are undrafted or taken in the late rounds and are all major contributors or pro bowlers for their teams. The best teams in the NFL aren't the ones that can nail picks in round 1 and 2, their the ones who find special players late in the draft or that went undrafted..
    The Pats didn't draft Welker or Woodhead and Hernandez was a 3rd round pick. In fact I think the Pats have quite a poor record of retaining draft picks over the last few years. You can't expect a gem every year.

    I am annoyed the guys were cut though - I think DeSpags saw that they needed to win right away and didn't want to develop them. Hines and Williams could have been decent contributers.
    ZiaRam likes this.

  11. #71
    mh-i's Avatar
    mh-i is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    CA
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,168
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Why the Rams Draft was a Failure

    There sure were a bunch of fans high on last years draft! Basically one guy, Quinn, is the only impact player and very well may be the only one who'll be a Ram next year or the year after.

  12. #72
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,407
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Why the Rams Draft was a Failure

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    The Pats didn't draft Welker or Woodhead and Hernandez was a 3rd round pick. In fact I think the Pats have quite a poor record of retaining draft picks over the last few years. You can't expect a gem every year.

    I am annoyed the guys were cut though - I think DeSpags saw that they needed to win right away and didn't want to develop them. Hines and Williams could have been decent contributers.
    I know the Pats didn't draft Welker or Woodhead, and Hernandez was actually a 4th rounder. But thats the point. They find these huge contributors from the FA market, for cheap, or for a late draft pick.
    live4ramin likes this.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  13. #73
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: Why the Rams Draft was a Failure

    Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    Just because the Rams always whiff on late round picks doesn't mean its the norm.
    In recent years, Mark Setterstrom was a seventh round pick who started for us for several years. We got production from Chris Chamberlain and David Vobora, who were both seventh rounders, as well. George Selvie, yet another seventh rounder, played in all sixteen games this year as a backup DE. Clifton Ryan was a fifth rounder who wound up starting for us, too, for some time.

    It's mildly surprising that all three of our seventh rounders didn't make it out of camp. What you'd really expect in that scenario would probably be that one of them would make the roster on special teams.

  14. #74
    gap's Avatar
    gap
    gap is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,223
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: Why the Rams Draft was a Failure

    Do you guys even pay attention to roster changes, or do you bash just for the purpose of belly-aching? Didn't we lose about 15 players to injury last year? I am pretty sure we had 10 DBs lost to injury alone. When you have to replace that many players, you have to cut someone to keep the roster at the limit. Are you gonna cut an experienced player or are you gonna cut a low round draft pick that you are developing? I remember reading several articles were they had to put low round draft picks on waivers to sign yet another CB.

    Sometimes draft picks aren't "picks don't turn out", but the team is forced to cut players due to injuries that are not IR or Injury Settlement types.


    gap

  15. #75
    THOLTFAN81's Avatar
    THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,938
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: Why the Rams Draft was a Failure

    Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    Do you guys even pay attention to roster changes, or do you bash just for the purpose of belly-aching? Didn't we lose about 15 players to injury last year? I am pretty sure we had 10 DBs lost to injury alone. When you have to replace that many players, you have to cut someone to keep the roster at the limit. Are you gonna cut an experienced player or are you gonna cut a low round draft pick that you are developing? I remember reading several articles were they had to put low round draft picks on waivers to sign yet another CB.

    Sometimes draft picks aren't "picks don't turn out", but the team is forced to cut players due to injuries that are not IR or Injury Settlement types.


    gap
    Uhh, Id rather cut Ben Leber or Brady Poppinga over Jabara Williams...
    sosa39rams likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rams should be 4-0 -- Failure if not 4-4 at Bye
    By richtree in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: -10-05-2010, 12:00 PM
  2. Pattern of failure evident in Rams' draft history
    By RamWraith in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -04-21-2008, 08:32 AM
  3. Pattern of failure evident in Rams' draft history
    By MauiRam in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -04-20-2008, 06:31 AM
  4. Rams offense: Failure to launch
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: -09-26-2007, 09:44 PM
  5. Success or failure for the 2005 draft
    By 1st & Goal in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: -12-18-2005, 02:25 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •