Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Why the Rams Draft was a Failure

Damned Ramz is offline Registered User

Re: Why the Rams Draft was a Failure

I disagree but appreciate the different perspective. Everyone from pages 1-4 pretty much repeated the same thing in different ways haha . Was WAY more excited to read this post than any other one.

Only 351 more days until 2012 Draft!

Harry S. Truman is offline Registered User

Quinn, I'm extremely excited about. He projects as a top of the line DE/OLB and is someone who I can see being a terror on defense. This is a guy with huge upside, and one who was highly productive (17.5 sacks as a true freshman and sophomore). I fully believe had he played his junior year, barring injuries, he would have had another double digit sack season and would have been picked in the top 3 at WORST. Even as is, he was in top 5 consideration. To get him at 14 is a steal. He has all the tools to be an elite pass rusher, and he and Chris Long should form a dynamic DE duo for many years to come.

I'm going to admit, I wasn't nuts about taking Kendricks. I too could name several players I'd rather have seen St. Louis take, I feel ignoring the DT position was alarming and Paea would have been nice.. I also would have been ok with them going for an Offensive Guard, one of the Safeties or another CB. However, I also won't discredit Kendricks' ability. He reminds me a lot of another former Wisconsin TE, Owen Daniels. He's not a speed demon by any means (more on this in a few), but he runs tremendous routes, knows how to get to the ball and when he doesn't have lapses on concentration, has good hands/hand to body control.

Pettis, I certainly won't crap on like many here seemingly are. Again, he's no speed demon, but he knows how to get to the football, has good hands, makes the catches when balls are thrown his direction, is a big target, a potential red zone threat and a guy I see as a productive player on the NFL level. You look at Pettis' numbers, the guy has produced on a big time level for each of his four years at Boise State. The guy is a player, who I see having a very productive NFL career. Do I see him being an All Pro? Maybe eventually.. However, at worst I see him as a solid, productive, steady hand.

Salas, I view much like I view Pettis. The guy catches the football. He makes plays happen. He's not going to beat you in a foot race, however with Bradford's accuracy in getting the ball to the receiver, he's gonna love having Salas (and Pettis) on his roster.

I think many of you (no disrespect intended) are getting a little too worried about timed speed and Combine numbers. What the Rams are doing seemingly is building a spread 'em type offense. What really killed the team in the Seahawk season finale (and other games at times) was dropped passes. The biggest factor in favor of Salas and Pettis is the fact that they straight up catch the football. Also, with Kendricks, keep in mind who his top receiver at Oklahoma was.... Gresham-- a TE.

The potential for an all around passing attack is definitely there. For those in favor of speed, perhaps Mardy gets his crap together. You put two guys in the offense who can run routes (Kendricks, Pettis) and playmakers who can catch the football, it's easier to slide a guy like Mardy Gilyard in the lineup and let him fly.

Just my two cents.

SLSG is offline Registered User

Gilyard isn't very fast either. He's more quick than fast. Avery is our only true speed guy. If he's healthy, he could really have a break out year. DX is a decent deep threat too. He has the size to go up and get it, well atleast go up, lol.

richtree is offline Registered User

Let's hope this years draft is much better, and the team is moving forward !!!!!!!!!!

Our last 4 rounds were players that were thrown away and had no chance for development.

Hopefully Pettis makes the team and his PED incident gives him motivation to work harder.....

Quinn is great, and Kendricks need to live up to his potential this year in Fisher's system that develops TEs to pass and block

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

How can such professionals in their respective fields be so BAD at what they do? We missed on so many picks here... The only ones that made it after 1 year are Robert Quinn, Lance Kendricks, Greg Salas, and Austin Pettis (Doesn't look good for him).

Until we learn to draft (Hopefully now with the new FO) we will always be the cellar dweller.

THE DREAM TEAM

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

We haven't had a great draft for the last 6 years. (LINEHAN, SPAGS)

Things are about to change......don't you feel it?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    The only ones that made it after 1 year are Robert Quinn, Lance Kendricks, Greg Salas, and Austin Pettis (Doesn't look good for him).

Until we learn to draft (Hopefully now with the new FO) we will always be the cellar dweller.
    Gee, you mean our late fifth rounder and three seventh round picks didn't pan out? Shocking. I mean the fact that they weren't taken anywhere in the top 60% of the draft shouldn't tell us anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Gee, you mean our late fifth rounder and three seventh round picks didn't pan out? Shocking. I mean the fact that they weren't taken anywhere in the top 60% of the draft shouldn't tell us anything.
    Go look at the best teams in the NFL, and tell me why there up there. Giants? Victor Cruz? Ahmad Bradshaw? Pats? Hernandez? Danny Woodhead? Kyle Arrington? Wes Welker? Tom Brady? Half of these guys are undrafted or taken in the late rounds and are all major contributors or pro bowlers for their teams. The best teams in the NFL aren't the ones that can nail picks in round 1 and 2, their the ones who find special players late in the draft or that went undrafted..
    live4ramin and ZiaRam like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Its not necessarily that those guys didn't pan out, but its the fact that those guys aren't even with the Rams anymore. Hell, most of our late picks from last year were gone before they even got a chance to play. Why even draft those guys then? Every single player drafted by the New York Giants last year is still with the team. Eight of the nine players selected by the Patriots are still with the team. Does that mean all of those guys are going to be superstars for those teams? No, but they're still there to contribute, unlike four of the guys we took. Just because the Rams always whiff on late round picks doesn't mean its the norm.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Go look at the best teams in the NFL, and tell me why there up there. Giants? Victor Cruz? Ahmad Bradshaw? Pats? Hernandez? Danny Woodhead? Kyle Arrington? Wes Welker? Tom Brady? Half of these guys are undrafted or taken in the late rounds and are all major contributors or pro bowlers for their teams. The best teams in the NFL aren't the ones that can nail picks in round 1 and 2, their the ones who find special players late in the draft or that went undrafted..
    The Pats didn't draft Welker or Woodhead and Hernandez was a 3rd round pick. In fact I think the Pats have quite a poor record of retaining draft picks over the last few years. You can't expect a gem every year.

I am annoyed the guys were cut though - I think DeSpags saw that they needed to win right away and didn't want to develop them. Hines and Williams could have been decent contributers.
    ZiaRam likes this.

mh-i is offline Registered User

There sure were a bunch of fans high on last years draft! Basically one guy, Quinn, is the only impact player and very well may be the only one who'll be a Ram next year or the year after.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    The Pats didn't draft Welker or Woodhead and Hernandez was a 3rd round pick. In fact I think the Pats have quite a poor record of retaining draft picks over the last few years. You can't expect a gem every year.

I am annoyed the guys were cut though - I think DeSpags saw that they needed to win right away and didn't want to develop them. Hines and Williams could have been decent contributers.
    I know the Pats didn't draft Welker or Woodhead, and Hernandez was actually a 4th rounder. But thats the point. They find these huge contributors from the FA market, for cheap, or for a late draft pick.
    live4ramin likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    Just because the Rams always whiff on late round picks doesn't mean its the norm.
    In recent years, Mark Setterstrom was a seventh round pick who started for us for several years. We got production from Chris Chamberlain and David Vobora, who were both seventh rounders, as well. George Selvie, yet another seventh rounder, played in all sixteen games this year as a backup DE. Clifton Ryan was a fifth rounder who wound up starting for us, too, for some time.

It's mildly surprising that all three of our seventh rounders didn't make it out of camp. What you'd really expect in that scenario would probably be that one of them would make the roster on special teams.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Do you guys even pay attention to roster changes, or do you bash just for the purpose of belly-aching? Didn't we lose about 15 players to injury last year? I am pretty sure we had 10 DBs lost to injury alone. When you have to replace that many players, you have to cut someone to keep the roster at the limit. Are you gonna cut an experienced player or are you gonna cut a low round draft pick that you are developing? I remember reading several articles were they had to put low round draft picks on waivers to sign yet another CB.

Sometimes draft picks aren't "picks don't turn out", but the team is forced to cut players due to injuries that are not IR or Injury Settlement types.

gap

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    Do you guys even pay attention to roster changes, or do you bash just for the purpose of belly-aching? Didn't we lose about 15 players to injury last year? I am pretty sure we had 10 DBs lost to injury alone. When you have to replace that many players, you have to cut someone to keep the roster at the limit. Are you gonna cut an experienced player or are you gonna cut a low round draft pick that you are developing? I remember reading several articles were they had to put low round draft picks on waivers to sign yet another CB.

Sometimes draft picks aren't "picks don't turn out", but the team is forced to cut players due to injuries that are not IR or Injury Settlement types.

gap
    Uhh, Id rather cut Ben Leber or Brady Poppinga over Jabara Williams...
    sosa39rams likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast