Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Dave2oo2
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By HUbison
  • 2 Post By HUbison

Thread: Why The Rams Might Trade With Cleveland

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Why The Rams Might Trade With Cleveland

Whenever I read about the Rams trading back up with Cleveland I just rolled my eyes. It made no sense. It I could be draft smoke, but there is actually still a chance it has some legitimacy to it.

From everything I've gathered about the new FO, the Rams don't value offensive lineman in the first round, and they won't (or don't want to) take Matt Kalil. They haven't even visited with an offensive lineman projected to go in the first round other than Kalil.

- Looking back since 2002, the Falcons (Les Snead) have taken an offensive lineman with a first or second round pick twice. In 2007 guard Justin Blalock was picked in the second round. In 2008 the Falcons selected tackle Sam Baker with their second first round pick of that year, 21st overall. Sam Baker has been given the bust label, and was almost cut to save salary cap space this off-season.
    - For Tennessee, since 1998 the Titans have selected a grand total of one offensive lineman in the first or second round. The would be 2005 second round pick tackle Michael Roos.

However, it's clear offensive lineman is on the radar after round one, which makes sense considering they have met with second day lineman like Schwartz and Osemele.

Going back to the trade up part, its now clear Minnesota holds the key to the Rams draft day plans. To me the Rams have 3 players they want to take at 6, and they would be WR Justin Blackmon, CB Morris Claiborne, and RB Trent Richardson.
    - If the Vikings select Matt Kalil, the Rams will not trade. They will stay at 6 and take one of the three players they like.

This is where it gets interesting. The Vikings have not just decided to draft Kalil, and Adam Schefter has kept saying all offseason that Kalil is not a lock at 3.
    - If the Vikings take WR Justin Blackmon, the Browns will take RB Trent Richardson and the Bucs will take CB Claiborne. If the Browns take Claiborne, the Bucs will easily take Richardson.
    - If the Vikings take CB Claiborne, the Browns will probably take Blackmon and the Bucs will take Richardson. If the Browns take Richardson, the Rams might still have a shot at Blackmon if the Bucs don't trade out of the pick.

This means that the Rams could get 'stuck' with Kalil.
    - If the Vikings take Blackmon, the Rams will have to trade up to get the player they want.
    - If the Vikings take Claiborne, they might still have a chance to get who they want.
    If the Browns try and stiff the Rams into trading too much (like more than 6th overall and a third round pick) the Rams will probably just stay put or trade back.

If the Rams do have Kalil drop to them at 6, I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade out of the pick so they can get extra draft picks and take a player they would of been forced to take at 6 anyways.
    - Buffalo at 10 will want Kalil
    - Kansas at 11 will want Tannehill
    - Philadelphia at 15 will want Tannehill or Kalil
    - other teams can be interested as well

I don't expect the Rams to trade up, but its smart for them to discuss the options in case the Vikings shock the NFL and don't take Kalil at 3. If the Vikings take Blackmon I would bet that the Rams first pick in the draft will not be at 6. The reports might not be that ridiculous after all.
    Last edited by codeman123; -04-14-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Re: Why The Rams Might Trade With Cleveland

I forgot this possibility for what an actual trade might consist of. Trading up doesn't necessarily mean giving up draft picks.

The Rams can trade up to Cleveland's 4th overall spot without sacrificing picks. The Rams could trade their 1st (6 overall), 2nd (33 overall) and 3rd (66 overall) for Cleveland's first (4 overall), 2nd (36 overall) and 3rd (68 overall). This would be a pick swap giving Cleveland better draft position in rounds two and three. Another possibility to think about.

Dave2oo2 is offline Registered User

NFL.com news: Eagles, Rams reportedly eye Browns' top pick in NFL draft

I saw this article and really hope it is just smoke. I was so happy to see the Rams get all those picks and I hope we don't give any of them away. We could have traded for the forth pick a while ago but chose to get the 6th instead. I really don't see the point of trading from 2 to 6 then to 4.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    I'm not buying this trade up stuff for a minute.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm not buying this trade up stuff for a minute.
    Ditto that. If this is what they wanted, they would have made the trade originally instead of going through the Redskins. Makes no sense for a dilapidated roster trying to get younger to give away picks they don't have to.
    #39 Fan likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

The question is the cost of course. Logic says that if they valued the #4 that highly, they would have traded with cleveland in the first place, unless somehow they are using a #3 to get from 6 to 4 which i doubt. The only way i see it happening is if we are really hot on khalil and miami trades up to 3. I see no reason to give up good stuff to get from 6 to 4 now when we dont know who will be available at 4. If a trade gets made, and i dont think its particularly likely, it happens only after miami trades with minny. I cant see fisher giving up a #2 to get richardson.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Ditto that. If this is what they wanted, they would have made the trade originally instead of going through the Redskins. Makes no sense for a dilapidated roster trying to get younger to give away picks they don't have to.
    Trading up to 4 doesn't mean the Rams have to give up future first round picks, or a second round pick, or even picks at all (if they swap picks in later rounds). The Rams aren't losing the picks they acquired to go back up. They aren't stupid.

Also, from all the info that came out the Redskins offer was way better. The Rams asked for both team's best offer and the Skins offered 3 first round picks and a second. Cleveland's offer only increased to 4th, 22nd, second rounder, and 2013 first rounder after the deal was already done. The Rams asked for their best offer, and they didn't comply. Even so, if the Rams think the Redskins won't make the playoffs next year (which they most likely won't) their 2013 pick will be better than 22nd overall.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Trading up to 4 doesn't mean the Rams have to give up future first round picks, or a second round pick, or even picks at all (if they swap picks in later rounds).
    Somehow, I don't see Mike Holmgren agreeing with that notion.
    THOLTFAN81 and RamsSB99 like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is online now Registered User

I'm not buying trading up either. Kalil at 2 might be too high but at 6 that would be a steal. I think the Vikes want Kalil and want the Browns to move up to get the player they covet the most. If the Vikes can get the Browns to move up and get another pick and land Kalil that would be a great move.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Obviously the Rams would look foolish trading back up to the 4th spot, unless it was just a small part of a larger deal. Perhaps they would also aquire the Browns 22nd pick as well for our 2 2nds or preferrably a 2nd and a 3rd. In which case we could get Trent Richardson and the best WR and DT left on the board no later than the 39th pick.

Just a thought.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Minnesota passing on Kalil for whatever reason has the potential to shake up the top of the draft, but I doubt part of that shake-up is going to involve the Rams trading up.

As I see it, Minnesota has four options:
    • Take OT Matt Kalil
    • Take CB Morris Claiborne
    • Take WR Justin Blackmon
    • Trade the pick

We've spent weeks/months projecting them to take Kalil, so there's no need to discuss a scenario we've been expecting.

If they trade the pick and Kalil falls to four, I suspect the Browns will be on the phone immediately trying to secure their own trade down. Cleveland loves moving down - see: 2009 draft where they moved down so Jets could draft Sanchez & 2011 draft where they moved down so Atlanta could draft Julio - and probably wants to do so again. And they'll likely have a lot of suitors, because offensive tackle is a rather decent need for a number of teams in the Top 20.

As others have pointed out though, if the Rams were so in love with Kalil that they'd think about moving up to take him @ 4, then they probably would have just traded with Cleveland in the first place so that they were in a better position to take him if he made it by Minnesota.

But the Rams likely moved to six not only because Washington's offer was ultimately superior, but because they still feel good about their ability to get a top prospect at that spot. I don't see one surprise move suddenly throwing the Rams into panic mode and prompting a move up the board.

Some people don't believe in the trade value chart anymore, but it's worth noting that the cost to move from pick six to pick four is at least a third round selection. Does anyone really expect Mike Holmgren to drop down two spots just for the heck of it? He's going to want something in return, just like any team would. The Rams really aren't in a position to give up quality resources just to move up two spots to a place they could have been selecting anyways had they wanted to.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Nick, here is the one wrinkle i see that may have changed between the time the rams made the rgIII deal and now-the potential surge in the demand for tannehill. At the time the rams made the trade, even if they wanted khalil, there would be no reason to believe that they would get him at 4. At that time, there was not even a whisper of miami trading up to 3 to get him (which might still be nothing more than smoke and mirrors). I cant see the rams or any other team taking less to simply be closer to a player that they wanted.

Thus, if the rams really love khalil, i can see them trading up to 4 if, and only if, miami or someone else trades up to 3 and takes tannehill. In that scenario, it would be worth trading up for khalil if the rams presumably would have taken less in the first place for the #2 pick if one of the players they were getting was khalil, rather than simply a draft pick (which they had no way of knowing who it would be at the time). Said another way, if the rams were guaranteed to get khalil in the first place, they might have taken "less" to trade away the pick.

Personally, i think tannehill is massively overated at 8, let alone 3. Holy Akili Smith Batman!

ramming speed to all

general counsel