Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Why the Rams would take Chance Warmack at 16

Rambos is offline Registered User

Why the Rams would take Chance Warmack at 16

Last year Les talked about making units on the team as strong as possible.

When Les and Fisher took over the D line already had Long and Quinn. In FA one of the big gets was Langford. Leaving one spot left to complete the unit.

By Gregg Rosenthal

Rams' Les Snead thinks DL has dominant potential

St. Louis general manager Les Snead and coach Jeff Fisher knew they couldn't make the Rams roster whole in one offseason. So they focused on getting extra draft picks, building depth and making a few units on the team as strong as possible.

Snead believes the Rams have the makings of a difference-making group after taking Michael Brockers out of LSU at No. 14 overall in last month's draft.

"We've got two young ends," Snead told Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch in reference to Chris Long and Robert Quinn. "We've added [Kendall] Langford. We've got Darell Scott coming back. Bam! You throw in Brockers, and all of a sudden that unit gets strong. Now the DL becomes a dominant unit."
    Fast-forward to this offseason and the addition of Jake Long. Sliding Saffold to the RT gives us two top notch tackles. Already on the roster is FA pick up pro bowl center Wells. Dahl has been more then Solid playing with lessor talent around him. Snead's plan is not to settle for just good enough but to create dominant units.

Chance Warmack playing LG between two former pro bowlers, Long and Wells would make one hell of a dominating left side if you ask me.

Fisher said when he took the job, one of the the things he would do is protect Bradford, this would be Fisher making good on his promise.
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-28-2013 at 12:13 PM.
    Nick and mde8352gorams like this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: Why the Rams would take Chance Warmack at 16

Once again, I agree with Rambo's on the OL selection. There is starting to be a bit of declining enthusiasm for Warmack v Cooper, particularly after Cooper's Pro-Day. The difference is that Cooper has better foot movement and can run traps better than Warmack. Warmack is a "road-grader" who will mow DL's down. The reason I don't believe we'll wait until the middle rounds is that we want disciplined linemen who won't get penalized and stop drives (i.e. Barry Richardson) So depending on our scheme either one will be a great pick. Great teams are built from the lines out, so Snead and Fisher in my mind have the right approach.

Go Rams!
    Last edited by mde8352gorams; -03-28-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Well argued, Rambos!

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I certainly am not necessarily opposed to a Warmack pick at 16.

I just think having the best playmaker in the draft, is better than having the best guard in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post

I just think having the best playmaker in the draft, is better than having the best guard in the draft.
    You are right about getting playmakers, but the best playmakers in the world have no benefit if Sam is on his back.

Go Rams!
    TekeRam and RosieJones like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    You are right about getting playmakers, but the best playmakers in the world have no benefit if Sam is on his back.

Go Rams!
    Actually Sam suffered one less sack in 16 games this past year than he did in 10 games the previous year. So I'm actually not nearly as concerned as others about that.

I also brought up GSOT team vs 80s Ram teams in another thread, and I defy anyone to suggest those 80s teams were better than GSOT.

And by that I mean those 80s teams with great O-lines and less than great playmakers vs GSOT with less than great O-lines but great playmakers.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -03-28-2013 at 01:37 PM.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

There is certainly merit in your assertion, that said, if Chance is everything he's been cracked up to be, he'll be creating "playmakers" by blasting holes for ball carriers, and giving Sam adequate time to go through his progressions and hit his receivers.

If we drafted Tavon Austin over Warmack, how many touches would he get? If we draft Chance, he'd be on the field for every offensive down. Having a dominant O-line is a main ingredient for championship teams. As Rambos so correctly pointed out, Snead and Fish are going for "dominant."
    Rambos likes this.

TekeRam is online now Registered User

mde, you made my point exactly. We can have the best receivers, but if we don't have a line to keep Sam upright, then either a blitz will kill us, or they can sit back in coverage and negate playmakers while still pressuring Sam.

Meanwhile, if we have a line that blows defenders off the line and stonewalls the pass rush, either Sam will have time(finally, and just what he likes) to find the open guy and will still have a second or two when blitzed so that he can still deliver the pass. Further, we're going from a Hall of Very Good if not Fame running back to younger, not as talented backs. We need a line that can give them space to break out. Where would our running game have been in the last few years without Jackson making his own touch yards?
    I believe!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I agree with all that and, in my opinion, Warmack is one of the Top 5 players in this draft at any position. If he's there at #16, I would not hesitate.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    There is certainly merit in your assertion, that said, if Chance is everything he's been cracked up to be, he'll be creating "playmakers" by blasting holes for ball carriers, and giving Sam adequate time to go through his progressions and hit his receivers.

If we drafted Tavon Austin over Warmack, how many touches would he get? If we draft Chance, he'd be on the field for every offensive down. Having a dominant O-line is a main ingredient for championship teams. As Rambos so correctly pointed out, Snead and Fish are going for "dominant."
    Still rather have the best playmaker over the best guard, and nothing will change that. See my previous post and tell me you'd rather have 80s Ram teams over GSOT.

Actually Sam suffered one less sack in 16 games this past year than he did in 10 games the previous year. So I'm actually not nearly as concerned as others about that.

I also brought up GSOT team vs 80s Ram teams in another thread, and I defy anyone to suggest those 80s teams were better than GSOT.

And by that I mean those 80s teams with great O-lines and less than great playmakers vs GSOT with less than great O-lines but great playmakers.
    Are you sure about that? GSOT had Orlando Pace, Tom Nutten, Adam Timmerman, Andy (forgot his last name) and Fred Miller. While they aren't household names, except for Pace, as a unit they were great. And that is what makes OL's good, functioning as a unit. Of course it didn't hurt to have Jim Hanifan one of the best OL coaches ever. Kurt Warner also had one of the quickest releases as well that helped alleviate pressure. Ask Jay Cutler or Aaron Rogers if they wouldn't rather have better OL to help with all their playmakers.

Go Rams!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    mde, you made my point exactly. We can have the best receivers, but if we don't have a line to keep Sam upright, then either a blitz will kill us, or they can sit back in coverage and negate playmakers while still pressuring Sam.

Meanwhile, if we have a line that blows defenders off the line and stonewalls the pass rush, either Sam will have time(finally, and just what he likes) to find the open guy and will still have a second or two when blitzed so that he can still deliver the pass. Further, we're going from a Hall of Very Good if not Fame running back to younger, not as talented backs. We need a line that can give them space to break out. Where would our running game have been in the last few years without Jackson making his own touch yards?
    A line that "blows people off the ball" is a line that will tire out opposing D's. A line that can provide Sam that extra tick will keep opposing D's on the field longer. I'd be extremely happy if we could land Chance!
    Rambos likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

This might be a reach but the more I look at Chance Warmack, I see the great Larry Allen of the Dallas Cowboys. Allen lead the way for Emmitt Smith for a decade.

Allen At 6 ft 3 in height and weighing 325 pounds
    Warmack At 6 ft 3 in height and weighing 320 pounds

NFL.com
    Bottom Line
    Sturdy guard with dominating strength at the point of attack and enough mobility to clear the way for Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram, 2012 top five pick Trent Richardson, and probable first round pick Eddie Lacy over the last three seasons. His toughness and durability are outstanding, and he grades out as one of the elite talents in the 2013 draft, and as a probable starter day one on Sundays -- and he'll stick around for a long time.
    Fisher wants to run the ball and Warmack has helped a few guys too do just that. Heck it would be nice to pound the rock inside the 10 and get a TD! Just sayin...
    MauiRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Are you sure about that? GSOT had Orlando Pace, Tom Nutten, Adam Timmerman, Andy (forgot his last name) and Fred Miller. While they aren't household names, except for Pace, as a unit they were great. And that is what makes OL's good, functioning as a unit. Of course it didn't hurt to have Jim Hanifan one of the best OL coaches ever. Kurt Warner also had one of the quickest releases as well that helped alleviate pressure. Ask Jay Cutler or Aaron Rogers if they wouldn't rather have better OL to help with all their playmakers.

Go Rams!
    Yes, I agree the key to any O-line is continuity. You don't have to have the best guard, center or the best tackle. They just have to play well together, which is exactly the reason why I'd take the best playmaker over the best guard. And take a second tier guard like Long in the second round.

We've had the 2nd tier OL this in Barry Richardson, and how many penalties did he get us?

Go Rams!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast