Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Why the Rams would take Chance Warmack at 16

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: Why the Rams would take Chance Warmack at 16

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    We've had the 2nd tier OL this in Barry Richardson, and how many penalties did he get us?

Go Rams!
    So now we're drafting players based on Barry Richardson?

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    So now we're drafting players based on Barry Richardson?
    Not at all, I just think you usually get what you pay for in the Draft. And drafting a 2nd tier OL will get you less than great play. How many drives were stalled this year because Barry Richardson took an illegal motion penalty. Again, I revert to your playmaker comment, without a solid OL we aren't going to put points on the board and I think, "my fellow left coaster," you would agree that is the ultimate goal.

Go Rams!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Nice post Rambos. An effective, cohesive, consistent OL is critical to a successful offense. I've always been a big proponent of a strong OL first, because IMO, everything else falls into place after you get that accomplished.

There is definitely something to be said for having explosive weapons, but a strong OL impacts every part of an offense and provides the opportunity for playmakers to flourish.

If Warmack is there at 16, I hope the Rams jump on him.
    Rambos, Nick and MauiRam like this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I agree with all that and, in my opinion, Warmack is one of the Top 5 players in this draft at any position. If he's there at #16, I would not hesitate.
    That's drafting for value. There are plenty of very solid guards in the draft including Barrett Jones and Cooper. Even if Warmack isn't available at #16, they could trade up into the 2nd round and get a premier guard.

Let's say D.J. Fluker is there at #22. Do the Rams shift Saffold to LG and install Fluker at RT? When drafted, Saffold was considered a premier guard prospect and a questionable tackle prospect. I had read that Saffold would struggle moving to the Right (it's a bigger transition than people recognize) because he had never played on the right side before. It'll be interesting to watch.

The key to winning is having a great Oline and Dline. The Rams have a darn good Dline and with Long at LT, they are getting really close to having the O-line finally. Honestly though, we don't know, maybe they absolutely love Rok and see his as a premier LG candidate as good as Cooper.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -03-28-2013 at 02:45 PM.
    Rambos likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    There is definitely something to be said for having explosive weapons, but a strong OL impacts every part of an offense and provides the opportunity for playmakers to flourish
    Succinct & spot on!

Rambos is online now Registered User

RebelYell those are some good points. I don't think Saffold would be near the force inside that Warmack would be. Saffold will also be a FA after next year, not sure he will want to take a pay cut to stay and play inside when he has shown he can play tackle.

I agree there are other solid guards to be had, but will the Rams want solid vs dominating?

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Not at all, I just think you usually get what you pay for in the Draft. And drafting a 2nd tier OL will get you less than great play. How many drives were stalled this year because Barry Richardson took an illegal motion penalty. Again, I revert to your playmaker comment, without a solid OL we aren't going to put points on the board and I think, "my fellow left coaster," you would agree that is the ultimate goal.

Go Rams!
    I don't think you'd find anybody who knows football that would disagree with the premise that a solid O-line is essential to success in the NFL.

But my contention is that you don't have to have an all-pro at every position accross that line or in this case the "supposed best guard".

All you need is players who mesh well together to create that solid line.

Did GSOT have all-pros all accross the line? No. They had Pace and an aged Timmerman who developed into an all-pro, the rest were not what I would call great individual players but they meshed well, and the rest is history.

Here is the draft position of our starting O-line in 1999.

Andy McCollum C UNDRAFTED

Adam Timmerman OG 7th Round

Fred Miller RT 5th Round

Tom Nutten OG 7th Round

Orlando Pace LT 1st pick

Gentlemen, I rest my case.

I don't think you'd find anybody who knows football that would disagree with the premise that a solid O-line is essential to success in the NFL.

But my contention is that you don't have to have an all-pro at every position accross that line or in this case the "supposed best guard".

Did GSOT have all-pros all accross the line? No. They had Pace and an aged Timmerman who developed into an all-pro, the rest were not what I would call great individual players but they meshed well, and the rest is history.

Fred Miller RT 5th Round

Tom Nutten OG 7th Round

Orlando Pace LT 1st pick

By Ryan Van Bibber
    Orlando Pace was the first step toward rebuilding the St. Louis Rams, the first key building block to the Greatest Show on Turf. Without Pace, there would have been no Kurt Warner...no Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce burning defenses...no Marshall Faulk double-threat. Good teams, even the ones that pass as much as the Greatest Show Rams did, start with a foundation up front, with the offensive line.
    It all starts up front...

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Fred Miller RT 5th Round

Tom Nutten OG 7th Round

Orlando Pace LT 1st pick

Kurt Warner, QB Undrafted

Its not so simple as you wish to make it.

I have Warmack ranked above the top skill players because I think he's an elite prospect. If Warmack is gone, I would wait until Round 2 or later to select an OL.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -03-28-2013 at 03:22 PM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    It all starts up front...
    Quoting someone from TurfShowTimes won't get you anywhere. They couldn't have less credibility, so I'll just laugh off that quote.

But it goes both ways. You need weapons, you need an offensive line.

THE DREAM TEAM

Lets take a peek at whats happening in today NFL.

9ers use two first round picks to build the best O line in the NFL

2010 draft
    11th Pick Overall (1st Round) - Anthony Davis | Offensive Tackle | Rutger
    17th Pick Overall (1st Round) - Mike Iupati | Offensive Guard | Idaho

PPF best O line
    1. San Francisco ***** (20)

PB – 10th, RB – 1st, PEN – 19th

Stud: Generally speaking, tackles don’t block like Joe Staley (+40.4). He’s better in pass protection than people will give him credit for (a shame for him that nearly a third of the pressure he allowed ended up as sacks), but it’s his run blocking that sets him apart from the rest.

Dud: There isn’t one. The worst you can say is that Jonathan Goodwin is a Top 10 center, whereas the rest of the guys are Top 3 at their positions.

Summary: Phenomenal. A near flawless collection of linemen. Most teams would kill for any one of the guys the ***** put out, yet they have five of them. The introduction of Alex Boone provided a huge boost, with Anthony Davis upping his game with better play next to them. They’re a young unit by offensive line standards and look set to dominate for a long time.
    We all are sick of hearing how great Kap is as a QB. Whats not talked about is he is playing behind the best Line in the game.

PFF
    26. St Louis Rams (28)

PB – 21st, RB – 26th, PEN – 29th

Stud: After a rookie year where he got too much praise, and a sophomore season where he earned his criticism, I for one wasn’t expecting much from Rodger Saffold (+8.6). Color me wrong, as he excelled in pass protection, looking like the player he was drafted to be.

Dud: The Rams got a lot of sub-standard play from a lot of sub-standard players. None stood out more than Quinn Ojinnaka (-9.5) before he was replaced in the lineup and then cut.

Summary: Every time I write about the Rams’ line I wax lyrical about how it’s a miracle they finished as high as they did. They coped with injuries and filled in with guys who were flops elsewhere and managed to get a line on the field that wasn’t an embarrassment. There’s a long way to go, but kudos for that if nothing else.
    One team has gone to the SB and a championship game in the last two years... not us.
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-28-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Quoting someone from TurfShowTimes won't get you anywhere. They couldn't have less credibility, so I'll just laugh off that quote.

But it goes both ways. You need weapons, you need an offensive line.
    I agree with Van and I know who he is, heck I would quote a college kid like you if I greed with you.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I agree with Van and I know who he is, heck I would quote a college kid like you if I greed with you.
    Whatever floats your boat, boss.

THE DREAM TEAM

Lets take a peek at whats happening in today NFL.

9ers use two first round picks to build the best O line in the NFL

2010 draft
    11th Pick Overall (1st Round) - Anthony Davis | Offensive Tackle | Rutger
    17th Pick Overall (1st Round) - Mike Iupati | Offensive Guard | Idaho

PPF best O line

We all are sick of hearing how great Kap is as a QB. Whats not talked about is he is playing behind the best Line in the game.

One team has gone to the SB and a championship game in the last two years... not us.
    Regardless of what you might say about their O-line, most would tell you it has been the defense that's carried them the last two years, with the offense finally starting to show some signs of life this past year. And some may argue that even that improvement is due to a more dynamic QB moreso than anything else.

Plus they lost the superbowl anyway, so who cares about them? Don't you know it's blasphemy to mention them in such glowing terms on this board?

If you want to rave about somebody, perhaps it's the Ravens where you might want to start. How do you view the Superbowl champions line?
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -03-28-2013 at 03:59 PM.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Having read Jim Thomas, OG sounds like it would be unlikely unless it was Warmack and few think he'll be available at #16.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast