Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    soup1981 Guest

Why should spagnoulo not go after a qb this offseason?

Considering the below average play by bulger why shouldn't he go after a qb in draft or free agency. Do you really think bulger can take us to the promise land? Or is he a product of martz's offense?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Why should spagnoulo not go after a qb this offseason?

Well, hate to mention this but I think bulger had his best year under Linehan. i could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

I don't think most of us dispute that picking up a developmental QB in the mid-to-late rounds would be a good idea. The problem is that we can't afford to pay Cassel's likely salary, nor can we afford to draft (and pay) Stafford or Sanchez.

RAMPAGE! Guest

Bulger will be fine he just needs to be upright, hell even warner looked like crap before we let him go. Tom Brady wouldnt be able to do anything with our swiss cheese O-line. We have him signed for years to come so like it or not we are stuck with him.I believe he can take us to the promised land with a little bit of time in a real pocket and a ground pounding rushing attack

39thebeast is offline Registered User

How is a product of Martz if he made it to the Pro Bowl under Linehan. Give a QB a good line and his play increases drastically. I'd rather invest in a line that helps S-Jax and Bulger.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Even if he wanted one, Spagnuolo will not pursue a QB for the following reasons:

Mone, Money and Money

Weddle Guest

Bulger has a tonne of upside. He can be extremely accurate and win games for us. On the downside, he seems rattled and lacks the pocket presence he once showed. Thing is, who out there is really that much of a step up? Especially bearing in mind a return to form for Marc would give us more than any FA* or rookie could. If the O-Line stays healthy and can do its job we'd see a massive improvement. Heck, he can't get any worse!

Like bar-bq says, money is also a real issue for us, and spending top dollar on another QB would be extremely bad management of our cap room!

*I know Warner is a FA, but do people seriously think, with our line, he'd be any good!!?? Warner, as much as I love him, would have his career ENDED if we put him back there!!

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

The ? should be when will Billy Devaney go for a QB? What Round? I say the 5th or 6th round. To many holes in defence.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

According to Billy Devaney, every coaching candidate the Rams' interviewed for their top job said they felt they could win with Bulger. I don't see why Devaney would lie about that.

Even if the Rams don't have full faith in Marc, his contract kind of binds their hands. It's tough to throw a lot of money at a QB when you just gave out the biggest contract ever for your organization to a QB two years ago.

Warner4prez Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    According to Billy Devaney, every coaching candidate the Rams' interviewed for their top job said they felt they could win with Bulger. I don't see why Devaney would lie about that.

Even if the Rams don't have full faith in Marc, his contract kind of binds their hands. It's tough to throw a lot of money at a QB when you just gave out the biggest contract ever for your organization to a QB two years ago.
    It doesn't hurt to look toward the future though. Let's face it, digging up whatever schlub who's facing down retirement to back Bulger (Frerotte, Green, Chandler?) has proven to be a piss poor idea thus far.
    Grooming a kid on the sidelines never hurt anyone.

Weddle Guest

If we draft a QB I can't see it happening until 4th round at earliest. We have too many more pressing needs.

I really wanted to take a QB last year as Bulger is not getting any younger, but the way I see it, we are going to have take a FA guy who can hold the fort (once Bulger goes!) while we develop a drafted QB in the next few years... Unless of course we continue to suck and end up plugging in a rookie straight away as we are in a position to draft a really highly rated guy next year, or the year after!

Quote Originally Posted by Warner4prez View Post
    It doesn't hurt to look toward the future though. Let's face it, digging up whatever schlub who's facing down retirement to back Bulger (Frerotte, Green, Chandler?) has proven to be a piss poor idea thus far.
    Grooming a kid on the sidelines never hurt anyone.
    I'm in favor of drafting a mid round QB to groom for the future, but the phrasing of the original question seemed to imply finding a new starting QB for 2009 which I don't think is plausible.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Ok the next question is who are the QB's availaible in rounds 3-5 that seem like a solid NFL prospect ala Kevin O'connell from last season...

soup1981 Guest
    He made it to the pro bowl under linehans first year 06', That year Linehan kept most of the same playbook from when martz was there.Then in 07 he went with 100% of his own playbook,thats when bulger started looking like ****.So Bulger made it to the probowl because of martz playbook.

Yes he did but linehan was using martz's plays for an easy transition in 06 and that was the reason he made the pro bowl!!!!

The kid from Ball State !!!
    Last edited by Nick; -01-30-2009 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Merging back to back to back posts

Quote Originally Posted by soup1981 View Post
    So Bulger made it to the probowl because of martz playbook.
    Again, that's just factually incorrect. Linehan incorporated elements of Martz's scheme that were successful, but the 2006 offense was not a complete copy of the Martz playbook. Linehan brought his own philosophy and scheme when he joined the Rams, and Bulger had perhaps the best year of his career executing it in 2006.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast