Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    soup1981 Guest

Re: Why should spagnoulo not go after a qb this offseason?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Again, that's just factually incorrect. Linehan incorporated elements of Martz's scheme that were successful, but the 2006 offense was not a complete copy of the Martz playbook. Linehan brought his own philosophy and scheme when he joined the Rams, and Bulger had perhaps the best year of his career executing it in 2006.

I never said it was a complete copy of his playbook, but he did use alot of his schemes and I believe that was the only reason he had a above average year.What has he done since then under linehan? Not much! How good of a job did he do exucuting linehans offense? Your right linehan brought in his own philosophy and scheme and it pretty much ruined Marc Bulgers career.... So Far.

soup1981 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    How is a product of Martz if he made it to the Pro Bowl under Linehan. Give a QB a good line and his play increases drastically. I'd rather invest in a line that helps S-Jax and Bulger.

Pro Bowl is a bunch of bull****, it used to mean something now its just a popularity contest. He had a pretty good year only because linehan was still impementing martz's playbook and spreading it out. What has Bulger done since then? How well did linehans offensive scheme work in 07, because that was "his offense".

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by soup1981 View Post
    Pro Bowl is a bunch of bull****, it used to mean something now its just a popularity contest. He had a pretty good year only because linehan was still impementing martz's playbook and spreading it out. What has Bulger done since then? How well did linehans offensive scheme work in 07, because that was "his offense".
    How do you know the offense changed that significantly from one year to another? Are you privy to the playbook? Obviously the playcalling was very dodgy, but whether that offense retained elements of the Martz era is entirely unknown.

As far as I'm concerned, a lot of our offensive problems the last two seasons have stemmed from injury (especially in 07) and plain bad OL play. That's something that we never saw in the Martz era, though it can be seen that it is a result of his coaching tenure. Between 2000 and 2005, the Rams drafted 2 O-Linemen in the first three rounds. Alex Barron and John St. Clair, neither of whom have done anything much.

Spyederman is offline Registered User

I agree, injuries have just decimated the team for the last two years. There's been no consistency on the o line to build any type of cohesiveness a good line needs to help each other out and play as a unit. Though not entirely, this has had to have some affect on injuries to Jackson and Bulger. The way the line has played it's amazing Jackson has been able to accomplish what he has the last two years (along with the time he's missed) and that's a testament to just how good he is.
    With some protection I believe Bulger can still be a good qb (if he's not suffering from shell shock by now). Avery proved he has the talent to play in the league and be productive, especially as a deep threat. If somehow Bennett could stay healthy, he's the big receiver we haven't had and he has excellent hands. Both of these guys being in the lineup consistently will pull coverage away from Torry. While he's not the burner he used to be, he still runs great routes, has great hands and is a sure fire hall of famer. While we have never used the TE much, McMichael is a talented TE with good hands and speed. Without time in the pocket it doesn't matter how good the talent around a qb is not much can be done offensively if he can't get time and go thru his reads. That's the biggest reason we had no deep game last year (except for a few grabs by Avery), Bulger had no time to throw the ball. I don't know for sure and have no stats to back it up but I'm guessing our YAC had to be among the lowest in the league. Defenses crowded our receivers knowing Bulger could'nt hold the ball for long so they didn't have to cover for long. The worst DB's look a lot better when they only have to cover for 2 or 3 seconds. If the line can stay healthy, open holes for Jackson and keep Bulger upright the offense would like the GSOT compared to what it was last year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12