Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Why the St. Louis Rams Should Trade for Jason Campbell

by Daniel Wolf Written on April 05, 2010 l
    Is Campbell a smarter choice as the Rams' starting QB than Bradford?

Happy Jason Campbell Day to everyone, because that's going to be the biggest news and speculation over the next few days and weeks leading up to a deal getting done.

Ideally a trade will happen before the April 22 draft day, so the Redskins can get a usable draft pick in exchange immediately.

Already projected at a value of around a fourth-round pick by National Football Post, Campbell is only 28 years old and has played solid football in his career, accumulating a career quarterback rating of an 82.

One team who should really consider picking up Campbell is the St. Louis Rams.

According to almost every single mock draft that is on the Internet, the Rams will pick Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford.

At this point, why waste a No. 1 overall pick on a quarterback when the Rams can give up a fourth-rounder for a young and experienced starter in Campbell?

Especially since Campbell's athletic abilities may translate very well inside of a dome on a on the Rams' super fast turf and he will be way cheaper than giving Bradford $100 million dollars (an exaggeration).

Many have been mentioning that Campbell is getting a raw deal in Washington for no reason whatsoever and one would guess that Campbell will be highly motivated to prove his critics wrong no matter what teams lands him.

Which is another reason why the Rams should acquire him instead of paying Bradford a ton of money.

If Campbell is a Ram before the draft, then they will most likely make a move to pick Nebraska defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh and then every single mock draft will have to go through a makeover.

thickandthin Guest

Re: Why the St. Louis Rams Should Trade for Jason Campbell

I agree, but I don't see us getting Campbell really realistic at this point.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by thickandthin View Post
    I agree, but I don't see us getting Campbell really realistic at this point.
    No way of knowing for sure if the Rams have any interest in Jason. The most likely scenario (assuming the Rams drafted Suh with their first pick), would be to wait until draft day, and see if Colt McCoy dropped to them in rd 2. If not, then try and work out a deal for J.C.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Why the St. Louis Rams Should Trade for Jason Campbell

Is it because we want to continue our losing ways?

realchamp11 Guest

campbell for a 4th..ill take that. We would probably be getting a depth player in the 4th so gettin campbell, who would be a starter would be a GREAT deal!!

Head Slap is offline Registered User

holding the ball and thinking = sack rate, 9.9% with Skins

sack rate with Rams while learning new playbook? dang ???

Mooselini Guest

I don't get the excitement over Campbell. He wasn't that good in Washington, and he had better receivers, a good running back and a legitimate line. We only have a good back...

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

I can see at as an option, and maybe even a smart move. Jason has improved year by year, and could very well flourish in the dome. But there are more if's in the campbell question than in the Bradford question. Realistically, unless Washington is willing to take a 5th rounder for him, I'm not interested.

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

This is why i don't think Campbell will be a Ram.

If the Redskins knew that we were interested they would have gone out of their way to make the trade, likely for a 5th or even a 6th, because by us getting Campbell it means that we pick Suh, which means that Bradford falls to #4. So it basically becomes them trading Campbell for a 6th rounder and Bradford.

The fact that they made the trade for McNabb means to me that the Rams were not interested in getting Campbell and that Bradford appears to be the choice for the Rams.

thickandthin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I don't get the excitement over Campbell. He wasn't that good in Washington, and he had better receivers, a good running back and a legitimate line. We only have a good back...
    ummmmmmm what can I say...? oh yeah FALSE. We have a much better line than the skins, IDK why everyone thinks that our line sucks... well news flash to everyone.. our line does not suck. they don't have better recievers "per-say" just experienced we have good recievers just not a TE like Cooley.

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

And he is from San Diego and went to Hoover High school. One question I have, who is the better fit into our offense, Sam Bradford or Jason Cambell

molar_pistol Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Head Slap View Post
    holding the ball and thinking = sack rate, 9.9% with Skins

sack rate with Rams while learning new playbook? dang ???
    really? did you forget to mention that the redskins had one of the worst o-lines in the history of the nfl last year, even worse than ours a couple of years ago?

let's face it, campbell put up solid, not great numbers in washington. he also didn't get much help from the organization. new coach, o-coordinator, system to learn every year, a laughable o-line, an aging running game and no legitimate WIDE OUTS. mind you, cooley and moss are quality players, but cooley is a tight end and moss is a slot-quality guy. we're talking about an organization that has done just about everything wrong over the last 5 years despite throwing money around in record numbers, so it becomes ridiculous to judge him so harshly despite playing solid football in such a bad situation.

still, even if we manage to trade for the guy we need to pick up a guy like colt mccoy or a mid-round qb we like, so we have another option going forward. i believe campbell will be a free agent after this season, assuming all hell doesn't break loose regarding the new cba.

dave626 is offline Registered User
    Blog Entries

Id take Cambell AND Haynesworth, while still maintaining our first 2 picks maybe even our first 3.

Cambell is a starter at QB plain and simple, for our offense he would suffice, we dont need a superman at QB for what we do AND we all know it. Bradford has nice qualities no doubt, but here is a cheaper, more experienced, 1rst round pick that has done nothing but improve in every system hes had to learn.
    Haynesworth would be the best DT we've had since Ive been a fan of the Rams 95. Adding these 2 pieces could help turn us around, and use the 2 or 3 top picks to ugrade other positions. or get Suh too and have the best D line in football.

I think you could work the 2 players together in a trade to us for Carriker a 4rth and 5th and if we are lucky, they need a LT too (Barron), at least thats where I would start. Fat Alberts contract is manageable (ramsgab page) Washington has paid most of the crap they signed him up for.

"But Cambell wont win us a Super bowl", We cant even compete!!! We need improvement EVERYWHERE. Cambell is a clear upgrade to our current situation ,and to dismiss that statement just means you dont watch enough football, and it allows flexibility to address the MANY other holes we have. Its a cost effective upgrade and he would be good enough for what we do, and could be quite successful at it, with SJ runnning. For all the people complaining about too many holes to fill even with the draft, and/or our lack of FA movement this could help us get competitive quicker without sacrificing our youth movement.If 17 bombs then at least we have a team built already for next years franchise QB.

Haynsworth flat dominates in a 4-3, when hes motivated and Spags can make that happen. Hes a penetrator Spags loves those, and would give us more than even Suh would in 2010 most likely, because of the rookie season adjustment. Id like to see first hand who would have better numbers, playing side by side.

Then the first 2 or 3 picks we are'nt locked in to a position and are free to take the BPA or however they work their board.
    I hope we do it, I like Bradford but not at the expense of the overall success of the team. OOhh,yeah I said it!

GO RAMS!!!
    Last edited by dave626; -04-06-2010 at 06:11 PM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Do not make any trades with Shanahan. He out smarted us once before. (Jay Cutler/Tye Hill scenario)

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by hill_Bartell=Probowl View Post
    And he is from San Diego and went to Hoover High school. One question I have, who is the better fit into our offense, Sam Bradford or Jason Cambell
    In this one I would rather go with the unknown (Bradford). Campbell has a history in the NFL and it isn't very impressive. Again, I say roll the dice and go with the kid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast