Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By tomahawk247
  • 1 Post By Nick
  • 1 Post By Fortuninerhater
  • 1 Post By richtree

Thread: Why we shouldn't pick a LB high in the draft, and instead should go safety

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Why we shouldn't pick a LB high in the draft, and instead should go safety

I have seen a lot of talk recently of people mocking Jarvis Jones to the Rams in the 1st, or some talk of taking a linebacker with one of our first 3 picks. But I don't think we should be doing that.

We have two very good linebackers in James Laurinaitis and JoLonn Dunbar, both guys who played a very high amount of defensive snaps last year. In fact Laurinaitis played every single snap on defense last season, and Dunbar wasn't far behind. Often, both Dunbar and Laurinaitis played 100% of the defensive snaps in a game

The Rams also spent a hefty amount of money on cornerback Cortland Finnegan, who excels at covering the slot. With Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson coming on strong, Finnegan was able to spend a lot of time in the slot.

This is necessary given the current state of the NFL, which is becoming more of a passing league, with teams coming out in three WR sets, or splitting the TE out to the slot a lot more than in the past

Rocky McIntosh, as the Rams third LB, was only playing at most 60% of defensive snaps each game. At most. He had games where his snap percentage was in the 40s. Whereas players like Craig Dahl and Quinten Mikell were playing at or close to 100%.

Do we really want to spend a first or second round pick replacing a guy that was only on the field 60% of the time, or do you want to spend a high pick on a guy that's going to be on the field 100% of the time?
    HUbison and RuffRams like this.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Why we shouldn't pick a LB high in the draft, and instead should go safety

I get the point you're making, and I'm not a huge advocate of taking a LB early, but I think the obvious counter argument would be that Dunbar would become the LB that would play a more situational role rather than the rookie the Rams draft.

It's worth pointing out that while Dunbar graded out as one of Pro Football Focus' best 4-3 OLBs against the run and as a pass rusher, he was their worst ranked 4-3 OLB in pass coverage. He was the second most thrown at 4-3 OLB, and allowed an opposing QB passer rating of 112.

So perhaps getting him off the field more in obvious passing downs wouldn't be such a bad thing, though obviously you'd need to find a way to make up for the pressure he achieved when he was asked to rush in those scenarios.
    sosa39rams likes this.

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

The way i see it is, there is only one safety in this draft that I would even consider taking over a medically cleared Jarvis Jones. That is Vacarro, and he is likely to be gone when the Rams pick at 16.

And despite the fact that Rocky McIntosh played approximately 60% of the defensive snaps, I look at that as more of an indictment of his skills or lack thereof, moreso than the position he played.

Even if it turns out that Jones is no better in coverage, we certainly know he can rush the passer.

And if he's anywhere near the pass rusher Von Miller is (and people certainly believe he is), the Rams defense will go from good to dynamic with just his addition (all other things remaining the same).

Don't think we could say that about any safety in the draft.
    sosa39rams likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

If we're looking for pass rushers, there's plenty of pass rushing OLBs in free agency:

Paul Kruger, Ravens
    Conner Barwin, Texans
    Shaun Phillips, Chargers
    Victor Butler, Cowboys
    Rob Jackson, Redskins

I wonder why there's no talk of the Rams looking at these guys? Hmm?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Maybe the Rams should consider drafting the best player instead of trying to be cute and fill holes.

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    If we're looking for pass rushers, there's plenty of pass rushing OLBs in free agency:

Paul Kruger, Ravens
    Conner Barwin, Texans
    Shaun Phillips, Chargers
    Victor Butler, Cowboys
    Rob Jackson, Redskins

I wonder why there's no talk of the Rams looking at these guys? Hmm?
    No money, would be my guess.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    No money, would be my guess.
    They are all 3-4 pass rushers.

THE DREAM TEAM

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    They are all 3-4 pass rushers.
    And there you have it.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

richtree is offline Registered User

I don't know why any Rams fan would want anything but offensive in the first 2 picks. Our problem is offensive and stop over complicating things by saying we need safety and OLB, etc....

OL, TE, WR, RB should be 3 of our first 4 picks.....I wouldn't worry about our defense until round 3 and later or a free agency approach since we have a good defense and the NFL is a offensive league
    jmk321 likes this.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

While I appreciate that Dunbar wasn't perfect in pass coverage, I feel that there are too many holes elsewhere to be:
    1) Taking a linebacker high
    2) Taking Dunbar off the field

Just because the defense did better than the O doesn't mean that we shouldn't be drafting a safety high in the draft. Unless we get one in free agency that is.

But if we don't get a safety after the draft or FA, i don't want any one complaining when the corners spend a season lining up 10 yards off the line and give up five yard slants all the time. Because that's what the Rams have to do when they play Craig Dahl as a free safety.

However, I do agree with Richtree on the positions we should be concentrating on, I just think if we do go defense early in the draft, it should be safety. I'm not saying we pick a safety in the first round necessarily, but maybe in the second given the depth of the position in the draft this year.

I also don't think we need to be grabbing Jarvis Jones, a pass rushing LB. The Rams led the league in sacks last year, and the only one of the pass rushers possibly not returning is William Hayes, a back up DE. It's not like the pass rush needs any help.