Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Why wouldn't the Rams select a WR in the 1st round?

Beastified is offline Registered User

Why wouldn't the Rams select a WR in the 1st round?

The popular mock draft right now for the Rams typically includes either Chance Warmack or Jonathan Cooper. Most of us here know that Jeff Fisher never spent a 1st round pick on an OL in his long career with Tennesee. That can't just be a coincidence.

There was an interview with Gregg Rosenthal and Les Snead during the combine about a week back, and Rosenthal asked Snead something about getting weapons on offense. Snead hinted that it was a top priority, but he didn't want to say it was going to be a wide receiver, so he said "weapons come in all shapes and sizes".

I'm willing to gaurantee we are going to see one of the following WR's in blue and gold next season, and I put them in order of likeliness they go to the Rams:

1. DeAndre Hopkins
    2. Keenan Allen
    3. Tavon Austin
    4. Cordarelle Patterson
    5. Da'Rick Rogers

Yes, I think the Rams will draft Hopkins with one of their first round picks. He didn't blow up the combine or anything in the statistical drills, but he nailed it on the catching drills. I watched him and he looked more fluid than any of the other receivers there. He doesn't have elite speed, but he is the most sure-handed WR in this draft.

I think Bradford would really like this guy, because he fits the mold of a Sam Bradford type of receiver. None of Bradford's favorite targets have ever had great speed or such, but they have had reliable hands (Amendola). Besides, the Rams already have a burner in Chris Givens, they got their tall guy in Brian Quick, and they got their redzone guy in Austin Pettis. Where is the reliable guy at? The Rams don't have a reliable #1 receiver (that we know of yet).

My point here is to start mocking WR's to the Rams in the 1st round. There is no way, with only THREE receivers on contract, that the Rams come out of the 1st round without a playmaker.

Re: Why wouldn't the Rams select a WR in the 1st round?

On another note, on TST they are reminding people that the Rams drafted a guy called Rokevious Watkins last year @ guard.

Rambos is offline Registered User

We have two picks right? I see a lot of mocks having us take a WR in the first round. There are so many mocks with different combinations but WR seems to be in the mix.
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-02-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Yeah some do, but it seems like the majority have either two offensive lineman or an offensive lineman and a safety.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Av posted this in the Draft section a few days ago and looks to me like WR is in play in a lot of mocks.
    Here's a survey of some of the Mocks out there in the media. As you can see, while there is certainly a trend toward OL, WR and S, there are still many viewpoints out there as to how the Rams will use their selections:

Gil Brant (NFL.com): Cordarrelle Patterson/Menelik Watson

Josh Norris (RotoWorld): Cordarrelle Patterson/Jonathan Cooper

Bucky Brooks (NFL.com): Kenny Vaccaro/Keenan Allen

WalterFootball: Jonathan Cooper/Alec Ogletree

Matt Miller (Bleacher Report): Chance Warmack/Jonathan Cyprien

Don Banks (CNNSI): Kenny Vaccaro/Tavon Austin

Peter Schrager (FoxSports): Keenan Allen/Kyle Long

Pete Prisco (CBSSports): Lane Johnson/Jonathan Cooper

Doug Farrar (Yahoo): Cordarrelle Patterson/Kenny Vaccaro

Pat Kirwin (CBSSports): D.J. Fluker/Keenan Allen

Clark Judge (CBSSports): Tavon Austin/Jonathan Cooper
    IMO would not be surprised to see a WR taken in RD 1.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Beastified View Post
    Yeah some do, but it seems like the majority have either two offensive lineman or an offensive lineman and a safety.
    I've seem more mocks with the Rams drafting a WR in the first round than I have two offensive lineman.

I think you've jumped the gun on this thread; there are plenty of people considering a WR in the first round. The question becomes, after the obvious talent of Cordarrelle Patterson, which one do you take?

It seems the only two guys valued high enough to be considered there are Tavon Austin or Keenan Allen. Austin really only makes sense if the Rams lose Danny in free agency, and it's hard to get a great feel about Allen when he's been injured and hasn't done much this offseason to demonstrate his ability, but he's definitely shown some top ability on the field when healthy.

As for the other candidates, I like Hopkins, but he seems like a reach at this point at pick #22. I don't think he did anything at the Combine to cement himself in the first round. Same could be said for Terrance Williams, Robert Woods, etc, at least in my opinion.

As for TST having to remind people about Watkins, I think that's pretty ridiculous to suggest those who are seeking a first round guard like Warmack or Cooper have suddenly forgot about Watkins. I think the real situation is that some of us simply don't think you pass on a potential Top 10 talent at a position because of a fifth rounder who played 37 snaps as a rookie.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

I dont think we HAVE to take a WR in the first...It is beneficial to have a first round WR but if the value is not there we should not reach

If Warmack and Vaccaro are there at 16 and 22 respectively we should wait till the second or third round...Also Brian Quick is an X-Factor if Fisher sees enough in the kid and think is the franchise #1 and Givens has proved to be the X receiver I wouldnt be surprised to see u wait till the 3rd or 4th for a receiver
    Ramblin` Ram likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I've seem more mocks with the Rams drafting a WR in the first round than I have two offensive lineman.

I think you've jumped the gun on this thread; there are plenty of people considering a WR in the first round. The question becomes, after the obvious talent of Cordarrelle Patterson, which one do you take?

It seems the only two guys valued high enough to be considered there are Tavon Austin or Keenan Allen. Austin really only makes sense if the Rams lose Danny in free agency, and it's hard to get a great feel about Allen when he's been injured and hasn't done much this offseason to demonstrate his ability, but he's definitely shown some top ability on the field when healthy.

As for the other candidates, I like Hopkins, but he seems like a reach at this point at pick #22. I don't think he did anything at the Combine to cement himself in the first round. Same could be said for Terrance Williams, Robert Woods, etc, at least in my opinion.

As for TST having to remind people about Watkins, I think that's pretty ridiculous to suggest those who are seeking a first round guard like Warmack or Cooper have suddenly forgot about Watkins. I think the real situation is that some of us simply don't think you pass on a potential Top 10 talent at a position because of a fifth rounder who played 37 snaps as a rookie.
    A top 10 talent would be Jarvis Jones, and it's looking more and more like he's going to be there at 16. If we're drafting on pure value here then the Rams should grab Jarvis Jones. OLB and G are of equal need in my opinion. WR is by far the biggest need, followed by safety in my eyes.

The reason I mentioned Watkins is not because I am saying he is on the same playing level as Chance Warmack, but he's probably adequate enough for what the Rams need right now. I'd rather draft a top WR instead of a top G when I already have a G or two who can be serviceable. Who is Sam Bradford going to throw to?

Rammed is offline Registered User

Warmack is that top 10 talent Nick is pointing out maybe even number 1

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

A top 10 talent would be Jarvis Jones, and it's looking more and more like he's going to be there at 16. If we're drafting on pure value here then the Rams should grab Jarvis Jones. OLB and G are of equal need in my opinion. WR is by far the biggest need, followed by safety in my eyes.

The reason I mentioned Watkins is not because I am saying he is on the same playing level as Chance Warmack, but he's probably adequate enough for what the Rams need right now. I'd rather draft a top WR instead of a top G when I already have a G or two who can be serviceable. Who is Sam Bradford going to throw to?
    When it comes to being adequate enough for what the Rams need, to the point of passing on a first round prospect at the position, I would say Dunbar @ OLB is more adequate in that regard than Watkins is @ OG.

The Jarvis Jones topic has been debated a pretty decent amount in the Draft/FA forum (which is really where this thread belongs), so I'm not going to go on about that besides to say I'm not a huge fan of the pick due to both schematic and injury concerns. Having said that, I still view Warmack as a better prospect than Jones, so if you view them as equal needs, then the choice should be simple.

As for preferring a top WR over a top OG, I don't disagree with the positional importance. But IMO, the top OGs in this class are far and away better than the top WRs. There is no Megatron, Green, Jones, or even Blackmon in this draft IMO. Meanwhile, you've got a guard in Warmack that is so good he might buck the trend and become a top ten pick. Some have even projected him as high as four, which is unheard of for the position. And you've got more than a handful of talking heads who believe Cooper is pretty close to Warmack and may be a Top 10-15 prospect himself in this class.

If you're passing on Warmack to take any receiver, or passing on Cooper to take a receiver not named Patterson, then as I see it, you're ignoring value for need. Which is never part of a winning formula in terms of the draft.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Honestly, the only way I don't see the Rams drafting a WR in the 1st round is if an upper echelon prospect somehow fell to us, such as a Warmack, Jarvis Jones, Cooper, or Lotulelei. I like Patterson and Tavon (maybe even K Allen if he runs well), but besides them they're is no other receiver that I'd think about drafting in the 1st round. If both Patterson and TA are gone by the time we draft, I'd rather go for BPA then reach for a receiver.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

The popular mock draft right now for the Rams typically includes either Chance Warmack or Jonathan Cooper. Most of us here know that Jeff Fisher never spent a 1st round pick on an OL in his long career with Tennesee. That can't just be a coincidence.

There was an interview with Gregg Rosenthal and Les Snead during the combine about a week back, and Rosenthal asked Snead something about getting weapons on offense. Snead hinted that it was a top priority, but he didn't want to say it was going to be a wide receiver, so he said "weapons come in all shapes and sizes".

I'm willing to gaurantee we are going to see one of the following WR's in blue and gold next season, and I put them in order of likeliness they go to the Rams:

1. DeAndre Hopkins
    2. Keenan Allen
    3. Tavon Austin
    4. Cordarelle Patterson
    5. Da'Rick Rogers

Yes, I think the Rams will draft Hopkins with one of their first round picks. He didn't blow up the combine or anything in the statistical drills, but he nailed it on the catching drills. I watched him and he looked more fluid than any of the other receivers there. He doesn't have elite speed, but he is the most sure-handed WR in this draft.

I think Bradford would really like this guy, because he fits the mold of a Sam Bradford type of receiver. None of Bradford's favorite targets have ever had great speed or such, but they have had reliable hands (Amendola). Besides, the Rams already have a burner in Chris Givens, they got their tall guy in Brian Quick, and they got their redzone guy in Austin Pettis. Where is the reliable guy at? The Rams don't have a reliable #1 receiver (that we know of yet).

My point here is to start mocking WR's to the Rams in the 1st round. There is no way, with only THREE receivers on contract, that the Rams come out of the 1st round without a playmaker.
    The way I see it, the multi-demensional Tavon Austin should be the WR the Rams choose if he's available at 22.

There is absolutely "no substitute" for speed and you can "never" have too much of it.

So saying in effect, that because we have Chris Givens, we don't need another player with speed is ludicrous.

Besides, Tavon Austin has very good hands, is by far the biggest playmaker in this draft and kills two birds with one stone by also returning kicks.

He is tailor-made for the Rams.

And the "mold" of a Sam Bradford receiver should be any receiver wearing a Rams uniform and is open.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -03-03-2013 at 01:58 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Most of us here know that Jeff Fisher never spent a 1st round pick on an OL in his long career with Tennesee. That can't just be a coincidence.
    This misnomer raises its head again.

Jeff Fisher never drafted a 1st round OL because he inherited, and spent most of his coaching days with, two 1st rounders by the names of Brad Hopkins and Bruce Matthews.

Add those two who stayed with Fisher for a large portion of his career to long-term Oilers/Titans like Michael Roos, Benji Olsen, David Stewart, Kevin Donnally, Mark Stepnoski, Fred Miller, and Eugene Amano........and the Titans never really NEEDED to spend a 1st rounder on the line.

Just like Hugh Hefner never had to rent a hooker. He never had to.
    Ramblin` Ram, FestusRam and ZiaRam like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    When it comes to being adequate enough for what the Rams need, to the point of passing on a first round prospect at the position, I would say Dunbar @ OLB is more adequate in that regard than Watkins is @ OG.

The Jarvis Jones topic has been debated a pretty decent amount in the Draft/FA forum (which is really where this thread belongs), so I'm not going to go on about that besides to say I'm not a huge fan of the pick due to both schematic and injury concerns. Having said that, I still view Warmack as a better prospect than Jones, so if you view them as equal needs, then the choice should be simple.

As for preferring a top WR over a top OG, I don't disagree with the positional importance. But IMO, the top OGs in this class are far and away better than the top WRs. There is no Megatron, Green, Jones, or even Blackmon in this draft IMO. Meanwhile, you've got a guard in Warmack that is so good he might buck the trend and become a top ten pick. Some have even projected him as high as four, which is unheard of for the position. And you've got more than a handful of talking heads who believe Cooper is pretty close to Warmack and may be a Top 10-15 prospect himself in this class.

If you're passing on Warmack to take any receiver, or passing on Cooper to take a receiver not named Patterson, then as I see it, you're ignoring value for need. Which is never part of a winning formula in terms of the draft.

I'm not talking OLB on Dunbar's side. I think you knew that. Turner played pretty darn good last year at G, and again, the Rams have Rokevious Watkins. Turner is starting quality 9 (as well as Dahl), the real problem on the offensive line is the RT spot, but I'm not going to get into that right now. Guard is not that important!

Remember last year when everyone thought DeCastro was the next greatest thing? Every year you can get a meatshield (especially @ G), sure Warmack is a special meatshield but at the end of the day a special guard isn't that valuable to me. If he was a tackle, then I would have an entirely different opinion.

Onto the WR's:

You can say that the WR's are a reach at certain areas but you really don't know that unless you watch tape of the players yourself. Now I'm obviously not the common fan, as I spend hours and hours of research into what I do. I'm basing my opinion off of actual footage of these players. DeAndre Hopkins had way more college production than Patterson. His hand size also measured way bigger than Patterson's. Last year's WR class was weak, and here are 4 prospects that are better than Blackmon IMO:

1. DeAndre Hopkins
    2. Da'Rick Rogers
    3. Quinton Patton
    4. Tavon Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    The way I see it, the multi-demensional Tavon Austin should be the WR the Rams choose if he's available at 22.

There is absolutely "no substitute" for speed and you can "never" have too much of it.

So saying in effect, that because we have Chris Givens, we don't need another player with speed is ludicrous.

Besides, Tavon Austin has very good hands, is by far the biggest playmaker in this draft and kills two birds with one stone by also returning kicks.

He is tailor-made for the Rams.

And the "mode" of a Sam Bradford receiver should be any receiver wearing a Rams uniform and is open.

No substitute for speed? You should be a Raider fan, my friend. Ever heard of Steve Largent? Speed doesn't always translate to success. Go and look at the top 40 yard dashes in the combine and see how many of them are busts.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast