Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Why wouldn't the Rams select a WR in the 1st round?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Why wouldn't the Rams select a WR in the 1st round?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    As for TST having to remind people about Watkins, I think that's pretty ridiculous to suggest those who are seeking a first round guard like Warmack or Cooper have suddenly forgot about Watkins. I think the real situation is that some of us simply don't think you pass on a potential Top 10 talent at a position because of a fifth rounder who played 37 snaps as a rookie.
    Spot on!

And as far as the Fish not not having drafted OL guys in round #1 in the past, does anyone really think he has pidgeonholed the O-line positions as unworthy of first round status? If Warmack is there at #16, I'll be quite surprised if we pass on him. Unfortunately at this point, it seems pretty unlikely he will.

That said, maybe the Redskins will give us their 2015 and 2016 number ones if Chance is there at #16 to swap number ones again.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Beastified View Post

Every year you can get a meatshield (especially @ G), sure Warmack is a special meatshield but at the end of the day a special guard isn't that valuable to me. If he was a tackle, then I would have an entirely different opinion. Guard is not that important!
    Steven Jackson, Pead, Richardson, Bradford and Fisher might say different ..

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    This misnomer raises its head again.

Jeff Fisher never drafted a 1st round OL because he inherited, and spent most of his coaching days with, two 1st rounders by the names of Brad Hopkins and Bruce Matthews.

Add those two who stayed with Fisher for a large portion of his career to long-term Oilers/Titans like Michael Roos, Benji Olsen, David Stewart, Kevin Donnally, Mark Stepnoski, Fred Miller, and Eugene Amano........and the Titans never really NEEDED to spend a 1st rounder on the line.

Just like Hugh Hefner never had to rent a hooker. He never had to.
    Thanks for clarifying this. Jeff Fisher always appeared to me as smart "drafter' and wouldn't let some long held belief get in the way of improving his team.

Incidentally, I like the Hugh Hefner analogy, but in retrospect he might have wished he had rather than getting married over and over again. Gotta be costing him in legal fees and pre-nups.

Go Rams!

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Call me crazy but don't we have 2 first round picks? I don't think WR and OL is an either/or situation here. Being that basically any OT or OG would help our sieve of a line, I would imagine that there will be at least one OL we would happily draft at 16. And being that there are a lot of good but not great receivers in this draft, I'd imagine that there will be a handful of options that would be fine either at 22 or in the 2nd round. Everybody wins! (Except me, I want a safety)

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

No substitute for speed? You should be a Raider fan, my friend. Ever heard of Steve Largent? Speed doesn't always translate to success. Go and look at the top 40 yard dashes in the combine and see how many of them are busts.
    I would be a Raider fan, except I hate them. So that's probably not going to work.

Yes, I am familiar with Steve Largent.

He was a great receiver for Seattle in the 80's and early 90's. Now imagine him with Tim Dwight's speed. Wow, what a difference. Maybe even the GOAT.

Never said speed translated to anything, just that it can not be substituted for and you can never have too much of it. In other words, it is the one thing the best coaches that have ever lived, can't coach. You either have it or you don't.

Looking up the 40 yard dash times at the combine does absolutely nothing for this conversation, because my arguement is not necessarily, draft the fastest guy.

It is draft Tavon Austin because he is the best playmaker in the draft.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I'm not talking OLB on Dunbar's side. I think you knew that.
    Then if you're not talking about Dunbar's side, you're talking about a player who was on the field for less than 500 snaps in 2012. Hardly the kind of role you'd want to spend a first round pick to fill.

Turner played pretty darn good last year at G
    He actually didn't. According to Pro Football Focus, of guards who played at least 25% of their team's offensive snaps, Turner ranked 65th (out of 81).

He was a capable back-up center when Wells went down, but struggled as a guard. He shouldn't be considered a solution at that position.

and again, the Rams have Rokevious Watkins.
    Which, as I established with my first response, means very little to me when it comes to this discussion. So, moving along...

Remember last year when everyone thought DeCastro was the next greatest thing? Every year you can get a meatshield (especially @ G), sure Warmack is a special meatshield but at the end of the day a special guard isn't that valuable to me. If he was a tackle, then I would have an entirely different opinion.
    And yet this will very likely be the fifth year in a row a guard will be drafted in the first round. In fact, this year, it's probable that two will be selected in the first 32 picks.

So while it is possible to find a "meatshield" in the later rounds, that hasn't deterred NFL teams from spending first round picks on the really good ones. They apparently disagree with your opinion that a special guard isn't that valuable.

You can say that the WR's are a reach at certain areas but you really don't know that unless you watch tape of the players yourself. Now I'm obviously not the common fan, as I spend hours and hours of research into what I do. I'm basing my opinion off of actual footage of these players.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastified

Onto the WR's:

You can say that the WR's are a reach at certain areas but you really don't know that unless you watch tape of the players yourself. Now I'm obviously not the common fan, as I spend hours and hours of research into what I do. I'm basing my opinion off of actual footage of these players. DeAndre Hopkins had way more college production than Patterson. His hand size also measured way bigger than Patterson's. Last year's WR class was weak, and here are 4 prospects that are better than Blackmon IMO:

1. DeAndre Hopkins
    2. Da'Rick Rogers
    3. Quinton Patton
    4. Tavon Austin
    First of all, here's a tip... Don't expect to gain respect around here by telling everyone that you do more homework and research than everyone else.

As for "actual footage" and production, Terrance Williams had the best production of any WR in the class. That doesn't necessarily mean he'll be the best Pro.
    Nick and Rammed like this.

Beastified is offline Registered User

Then if you're not talking about Dunbar's side, you're talking about a player who was on the field for less than 500 snaps in 2012. Hardly the kind of role you'd want to spend a first round pick to fill.
    The reason for that would be because of the players the Rams had available on that side. Rocky McIntosh was below average. Do you really think if the Rams spent a 1st round pick on an OLB of Jones caliber that they would only utilize him 500 snaps or less? Please.

He actually didn't. According to Pro Football Focus, of guards who played at least 25% of their team's offensive snaps, Turner ranked 65th (out of 81) He was a capable back-up center when Wells went down, but struggled as a guard. He shouldn't be considered a solution at that position.
    Using PFF as a reference is a joke; it's equally as bad as BR.
    Why wouldn't the Rams select a WR in the 1st round?-pic21.jpgWhy wouldn't the Rams select a WR in the 1st round?-pic23.jpg

Why wouldn't the Rams select a WR in the 1st round?-pic22.jpg

I think my point has been proven.

And yet this will very likely be the fifth year in a row a guard will be drafted in the first round. In fact, this year, it's probable that two will be selected in the first 32 picks.
    So while it is possible to find a "meatshield" in the later rounds, that hasn't deterred NFL teams from spending first round picks on the really good ones. They apparently disagree with your opinion that a special guard isn't that valuable.
    Yeah, that's true, but it's just my own opinion. BTW, This thread wasn't meant to be an argumentative article but rather an informative article.

You started by arguing that the Rams should take a WR in Round 1 as if that was an original or unique point. You've just gone downhill from there.

And, while I'm not a big fan of PFF, you cited to TurfShowTimes, which is a complete joke.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -03-02-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You started by arguing that the Rams should take a WR in Round 1 as if that was an original or unique point. You've just gone downhill from there.
    Calm down dude, I'm not here to argue... It seems like you are getting a little antsy here.

Besides, you missed the entire point of my article. It was to praise DeAndre Hopkins and to raise awareness of a RD1 WR selection.

EDIT: .......Why are you getting so defensive?

I'm done arguing with you. My reference was clearly used in a different way than his. His was used to attack me with no validity, while I was using mine as support to why the Rams shouldn't draft a guard in the 1st round.
    Last edited by Beastified; -03-02-2013 at 10:04 PM.

Calm down dude, I'm not here to argue... It seems like you are getting a little antsy here.

Besides, you missed the entire point of my article. It was to praise DeAndre Hopkins and to raise awareness of a RD1 WR selection.
    You came to raise awareness of something everyone is already aware of?

Well, gee... thanks for that, I guess.
    SportsDude likes this.

If you don't like what I have to say, then don't post here. I'm done talking with you. I do not like you.

Whether or not you like me, you opened a topic for conversation, and I'm responding.

WR is one of several positions the Rams should consider. Hopkins is a good prospect, but there are players that I, and many other avid game film watchers, would take over him.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Whether or not you like me, you opened a topic for conversation, and I'm responding.

WR is one of several positions the Rams should consider. Hopkins is a good prospect, but there are players that I, and many other avid game film watchers, would take over him.
    Of course! Everyone has their own mancrush (seems like you like Bell a lot).

Of course! Everyone has their own mancrush (seems like you like Bell a lot).
    And, yet, he's not in the top 20 on my draft board (ironically, he's one spot behind Hopkins).
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -03-02-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast