Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Why wouldn't the Rams select a WR in the 1st round?

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Re: Why wouldn't the Rams select a WR in the 1st round?

Pretty cool vid of Nuk Hopkins doing those one-handed catches, but we all know those sticky gloves do most of the work. If he really wants to impress me, he'd either take off the gloves to catch footballs or use the gloves but catch cinder blocks

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Beastified View Post
    The reason for that would be because of the players the Rams had available on that side. Rocky McIntosh was below average. Do you really think if the Rams spent a 1st round pick on an OLB of Jones caliber that they would only utilize him 500 snaps or less? Please.
    That's why I brought up Dunbar in the first place - because if the Rams draft Jones, he'd replace Dunbar as the 1000-snap OLB for the Rams. Why do that when Dunbar has been perfectly adequate in that role? I'd argue Dunbar has proven to be far more adequate for the Rams than Watkins has thus far. The Rams have a need at the other OLB spot, but unless you're arguing that Dunbar needs to see his role severely decreased, then the need there isn't worthy of a first round pick.

I think my point has been proven.
    Actually, it hasn't. Vaguely trashing someone else's supporting evidence proves nothing, especially when you seem unwilling to support your own claim with anything.

Yeah, that's true, but it's just my own opinion. BTW, This thread wasn't meant to be an argumentative article but rather an informative article.
    That's fine, but unfortunately, you're not giving much new information. You questioned why people weren't mocking a receiver to the Rams when they have been (see Rambos' quote of Avenger's post), and you highlighted a player that has already been discussed quite a bit in our Draft/FA forum. Even the one handed catch video has already been posted here.

You spoke about the hours and hours of research you do, perhaps browsing the forums a bit before posting should be included in that.

Calm down dude, I'm not here to argue... It seems like you are getting a little antsy here.
    I'm done arguing with you. My reference was clearly used in a different way than his. His was used to attack me with no validity, while I was using mine as support to why the Rams shouldn't draft a guard in the 1st round.
    That's laughable. You made a claim, and I disagreed while providing information from a source to back it up.

If you call that an attack with no validity, then you're the one who needs to calm down.
    Last edited by Nick; -03-02-2013 at 11:24 PM.
    HUbison likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Should the Rams take a WR in round 1? Maybe. I'm sure a few here know about my man crush on Nuk Hopkins, so I'd definitely be up with taking him at 16 or 22. Guy is going to be a superb pro. I'm all for the BPA approach though. If the cards fall where they may, take the BPA and keep going.

And AV is right. Anytime you cite TurfShowTimes I'll hysterically laugh. That site is a complete joke. The most un-informed, useless idiots around the web.

THE DREAM TEAM

SportsDude is offline Registered User

What if we drafted Cordarelle Patterson at 16 and Tavon Austin at 22?

Its not going to happen but I would be happy if we get either of those guys and Vaccaro

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Also, craig dahl still sucks.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

I'm not talking OLB on Dunbar's side. I think you knew that. Turner played pretty darn good last year at G, and again, the Rams have Rokevious Watkins. Turner is starting quality 9 (as well as Dahl), the real problem on the offensive line is the RT spot, but I'm not going to get into that right now. Guard is not that important! Remember last year when everyone thought DeCastro was the next greatest thing? Every year you can get a meatshield (especially @ G), sure Warmack is a special meatshield but at the end of the day a special guard isn't that valuable to me. If he was a tackle, then I would have an entirely different opinion.

Onto the WR's:

You can say that the WR's are a reach at certain areas but you really don't know that unless you watch tape of the players yourself. Now I'm obviously not the common fan, as I spend hours and hours of research into what I do. I'm basing my opinion off of actual footage of these players. DeAndre Hopkins had way more college production than Patterson. His hand size also measured way bigger than Patterson's. Last year's WR class was weak, and here are 4 prospects that are better than Blackmon IMO:

1. DeAndre Hopkins
    2. Da'Rick Rogers
    3. Quinton Patton
    4. Tavon Austin

And how many rushing TD's did the Rams have in 2012? Warmack or Cooper are not only a need but a must for the Rams if available at 16. I really want a Safety in the 1st round but would be upset to see the Rams pass on these Guards. The Rams need to improve the running game by adding a Quality G and/or RT.

Go Rams
    MauiRam and r8rh8rmike like this.

Randart is offline Registered User

As a rookie first time poster, I wanted to address this to the op or originator of the thread...
    Before I joined this site I was reading it for about 2 to 3 months and really enjoyed it. Seems the guys
    posting here were pretty on the ball with the info they were imparting and the thoughts they shared.
    To come here and create a thread wherein you take a view of knowing more than the average fan is
    a bit extreme. If you had presented your ideas as such and not as coming from a seat of unchallengable fact you might have been recieved in a different light. Humility is a virtue not always viewed with the
    greatest respect these days. Some even view it as a weekness, however if you adhere to the ancient wisdom of... A wiseman knows but a thimble full of knowledge in the universe, then expressing yourself from this vantage point makes you more accessiable. And less open to reaction or ridicule for your view points.

On topic: I really do like this class of recievers, even though there may be no hall of famers in it. Also I like the safety's and some here mentioned the honey badger as a guy who played safety. I really like the idea of him and Eric Reid being a team in college that played together and know each others tendencies.
    I think if we were to draft them as a pair to replace mikel and dahl we might just have some magic for years to come in the back field. Also Snead said he wanted play makers on both sides of the ball... thus my thoughts on these two guys making plays! Robert Woods seems to be not mentioned much either and I thought he was pretty awesome at the combine showing good hands on his catches! ( Just a thought... )
    Last edited by Randart; -03-03-2013 at 11:40 AM.
    Nick and MauiRam like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Randart View Post
    As a rookie first time poster, I wanted to address this to the op or originator of the thread...
    Before I joined this site I was reading it for about 2 to 3 months and really enjoyed it. Seems the guys
    posting here were pretty on the ball with the info they were imparting and the thoughts they shared.
    To come here and create a thread wherein you take a view of knowing more than the average fan is
    a bit extreme. If you had presented your ideas as such and not as coming from a seat of unchallengable fact you might have been recieved in a different light. Humility is a virtue not always viewed with the
    greatest respect these days. Some even view it as a weekness, however if you adhere to the ancient wisdom of... A wiseman knows but a thimble full of knowledge in the universe, then expressing yourself from this vantage point makes you more accessiable. And less open to reaction or ridicule for your view points.

On topic: I really do like this class of recievers, even though there may be no hall of famers in it. Also I like the safety's and some here mentioned the honey badger as a guy who played safety. I really like the idea of him and Eric Reid being a team in college that played together and know each others tendencies.
    I think if we were to draft them as a pair to replace mikel and dahl we might just have some magic for years to come in the back field. Also Snead said he wanted play makers on both sides of the ball... thus my thoughts on these two guys making plays! Robert Woods seems to be not mentioned much either and I thought he was pretty awesome at the combine showing good hands on his catches! ( Just a thought... )
    I think it's safe to say we'd like to see you post more often!

THE DREAM TEAM

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SportsDude View Post
    What if we drafted Cordarelle Patterson at 16 and Tavon Austin at 22? :
    I wouldn't mind that, as long as we could get Warmack, Cooper, Johnson, Jones, Vaccaro or Joeckel in the second round.

Beastified is offline Registered User

Ok, I am bringing this back up because I now have some support with what I was saying earlier:

Talking With Thomas - Turf Show Times

This is a link that gives tid-bits on a conversation with Jim Thomas. There is a line from Les Snead on there too.

Go back to my first post and you'll see where I said that the Rams don't have a DeAndre Hopkins type of WR. I also have argued that the Rams need a RT, not a G. And lastly, I am not big on Kenny Vaccaro. I agree with Jim Thomas's draft strategy although I would target the tackle in RD 2 most likely. I want a WR and OLB in the 1st.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Ok, I am bringing this back up because I now have some support with what I was saying earlier:

This is a link that gives tid-bits on a conversation with Jim Thomas. There is a line from Les Snead on there too.

Go back to my first post and you'll see where I said that the Rams don't have a DeAndre Hopkins type of WR. I also have argued that the Rams need a RT, not a G. And lastly, I am not big on Kenny Vaccaro. I agree with Jim Thomas's draft strategy although I would target the tackle in RD 2 most likely. I want a WR and OLB in the 1st.
    I think your best play here is to let this one go and join the conversation on another thread.

What Rambo? Oh, I get you.

Nah, It's alright. It's totally cool. I'm a part of a private forum of hardcore fans and there are plenty of heated debates, although I am usually not the one to be in the center of it, lol. Anyhow this does not phase me at all, I'm here to discuss my love for Hopkins and I am very confident he will be a Ram.
    Last edited by Beastified; -03-06-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I'm sayin you might want to let this thread go, seems like an up hill battle. It's your call.

I hear you Rambo. I'm really not here to battle... I want to discuss with my fellow Ram fans/friends. it seems like I've gotten some of the more respected people here pissed off, and quite frankly I think we have a few people here with big egos; I know I rubbed them off the wrong way but w/e. I forgive and forget. Although I said I didn't like the Avengerram guy, I really didn't mean it. I don't know anyone well enough to really dislike them yet, haha.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastified

Seriously? There is nothing in the quotes that mentions Hopkins or states that the Rams would not consider an OG.

Give it a rest already.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I leave for 30 minutes and all hell breaks loose... SEE PEOPLE, THIS IS WHY WE CAN"T HAVE NICE THINGS!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast