Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Will Shaun Rogers hit the free agent market?

Browns tackle Shaun Rogers reportedly wants off team, upset with new coach Eric Mangini

by Mary Kay Cabot / Plain Dealer Reporter
    February 25, 2009 03:07AM

Browns Pro Bowl defensive tackle Shaun Rogers is so disgruntled with new coach Eric Mangini and the new regime that he's asked the team not to pay his guaranteed $6 million option bonus next month, nfl.com's Adam Schefter reported Tuesday night.

Schefter, according to a source close to Rogers, said the tackle would rather be released after only one season even though he's owed $15 million in guaranteed money. However, he hasn't asked yet to be released, the Browns told nfl.com.

Rogers is reportedly miffed about two off-season incidents in which he feels Mangini snubbed him. The first time, Mangini walked into the Browns' training room and didn't say hello to Rogers, the source said. The second time, Mangini and Rogers were together in the media room at the Greater Cleveland Sports Awards on Jan. 23 and neither acknowledged the other.

Mangini said at a news conference Feb. 4: "I didn't even realize Shaun was there at the time. I know that's probably hard to believe considering how big he is and how big I am. It's like two destroyers missing each other."

Mangini recently reached out to Rogers, according to the report. And a source within the Browns organization told Schefter that Mangini is still optimistic he can sway Rogers once they speak. But sources close to Rogers say he won't change his mind.

The report says some believe there are other reasons why Rogers wants to leave the Browns, but didn't specify.

Acquired in a trade with the Detroit Lions last off-season for cornerback Leigh Bodden and a third-round pick, Rogers signed a six-year, $42 million deal that extended his contract by three years through 2013. It included $20 million in guarantees and a total of $23 million over the first three years.

Rogers' season, which included 76 tackles, 4.5 sacks and a team-high 15 pressures, earned him his third Pro Bowl and it appeared his career had been rejuvenated after leaving Detroit.

The Browns would take a $9.7 million salary-cap hit if they cut Rogers, according to the report, but they have no intentions of releasing him.

Mangini might have already known trouble was brewing during his Feb. 4 news conference. He wished Rogers well for the Pro Bowl the following weekend and said Rogers would have a chance there to talk to New York Jets Pro Bowl tackle Kris Jenkins, a big Mangini supporter.

"Shaun will be able to ask Kris some questions about me," Mangini said. "Kris and I had a great relationship and I think that'll be good."

It wouldn't be the first time Mangini has had to win over a star player. When he took over as Jets coach in 2006, he had to change the mind-set of receiver Laveranues Coles. Last off-season, he flew to Coles' home in Jacksonville to smooth over a contract squabble.

If things can't be resolved, the Browns will lose their best player on defense and only the second defensive player to make the Pro Bowl since 1995. Linebacker Jamir Miller earned the nod after the 2001 season. A league source said Rogers is the only Browns defensive player good enough to start for the Steelers or Ravens.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Will Shaun Rogers hit the free agent market?

I'm sorry, but this sounds awfully selfish. He didn't say "hi" to you? Are you kidding me?!